Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Russia conducted anti-satellite weapon test strictly following well-established international norms on warnings about them (that is, no warnings ever), which was followed by NASA article about dangers of space debris (also well-established tradition which doesn't stop US from conducting similar tests).

And despite current and old NASA warnings ISS still wasn't hurt by them.

Maybe NASA doesn't have competent and ethical physicists to properly calculate orbits; or maybe they have to play politics to keep getting their funding.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2021-11-17 at 02:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Russia conducted anti-satellite weapon test strictly following well-established international norms on warnings about them (that is, no warnings ever), which was followed by NASA article about dangers of space debris (also well-established tradition which doesn't stop US from conducting similar tests).

Maybe NASA doesn't have competent and ethical physicists to properly calculate orbits; or maybe they have to play politics to keep getting their funding.
    *gestures*

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And if I may, as an addendum:

If there was a missile strike, you can't prove it was Russia.

If you can prove it was Russia, you can't prove they knew it would cause debris.

If you can prove they knew it would cause debris, you can't prove they did it intentionally.

If you can prove they did it intentionally, you can't prove it will cause problems.

If you can prove it will cause problems, you can't prove it's as bad as every country except Russia is saying.

If you can prove it's as bad as every country except Russia is saying, you can't prove that the United States hasn't done something exactly like this in the past 40 years.

If you can prove the United States hasn't done something like this in the past 40 years, isn't all morality just relative and we're but floating ether upon the breeze of eternity?
    Predictable.

Also untrue; as pointed out earlier the US' anti satellite tests were on objects at a much lower orbit where the risk of Kessler-esque Effects is significantly lower. To say nothing of the fact you don't seem to grasp what the word "risk" means.

Gotta earn them turnips somehow though, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe NASA doesn't have competent and ethical physicists to properly calculate orbits
    And maybe it was food poisoning. NASA doesn't have competent physicists? Not even you can defend that. That's pathetic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Russia doing stupid shit. In other news, the sky is blue, Trump lies and Republicans want to kill Americans.

10+ Year Old Account

Maybe NASA doesn't have competent and ethical physicists to properly calculate orbits
    I just got off the hook with NASA; they said that if the Russians want to argue over who has a better command of space they've been waiting on the moon for about 52 years to talk about it, but Russia never showed up.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KuerbisgeschmackShake View Post
    Colonel Arkady Grigorovich Ourumov, a Hero of the Soviet Union, Commander of Russia's Space Division has concluded...

This crime was committed by Siberian Separatists!

On November 13 1995, Golden Eye was released, what a coincidence.

Giorgy said it was Uzbeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Well established norms? The fuck is wrong with you? Your compatriots are on ISS and had to sit in capsules in case shit went south, instead of actually working. Go and take a fucking look at orbits of ISS and where the target was. IIRC ISS already had to avoid debris from the 2007 Chinese test (look at orbit where their satellite was shot down).

Americans in their 2008 test warned days in advance and did the test at much lower orbit, thus not creating the danger in the first place, same with India.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Eh, it's not the duma that should confirm or deny these things..
    Ah yes, goverment should not know anything about weapons tests. Well, if it is Russia it makes sense, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

5+ Year Old Account
    Uhm, duma isn't the government...it's their parliament thingy

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-11-17 at 09:34 AM.

This is pretty stupid, but not really surprising considering it seems these days the Russian military just YOLOS their way through whatever they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Russia doing stupid shit. In other news, the sky is blue, Trump lies and Republicans want to kill Americans.
    Couldn't have made a better summary than this.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And maybe it was food poisoning. NASA doesn't have competent physicists? Not even you can defend that. That's pathetic.
    That's "quote" from 2 posts above me.

Yes, i also think it's political issue rather then competency issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I just got off the hook with NASA; they said that if the Russians want to argue over who has a better command of space they've been waiting on the moon for about 52 years to talk about it, but Russia never showed up.
    We were first on the moon actually.

Which is why US tried to hard to at least get "first man on the Moon" achievement.

First satellite, first man in space, first moon landing... all USSR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Well established norms? The fuck is wrong with you? Your compatriots are on ISS and had to sit in capsules in case shit went south, instead of actually working.
    Initiated by Houston. It is purely US PR stunt. There indeed never was any danger.

Go and take a fucking look at orbits of ISS and where the target was. IIRC ISS already had to avoid debris from the 2007 Chinese test (look at orbit where their satellite was shot down).
    No, NASA again claimed it could be dangerous but it never was.

Yes, take a look at actual orbit.

Americans in their 2008 test warned days in advance and did the test at much lower orbit, thus not creating the danger in the first place, same with India.
    Link pre-test warning then.

10+ Year Old Account

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    First satellite, first man in space, first moon landing... all USSR.
    First woman, space walk, pooch n other little buddies uhm first geckos or was that some other country?

Wait, I thought mods closed the elon space thread to create a space megathread
    So where is that thread n why are we posting in this one?

I think to liven up interest for space, someone should send a corgi to the iss, give it its own spacewalk suit. It would go viral on the internets, I'm sure.

To underline how this danger works:

Would it be dangerous for debris to hit ISS? Sure.
    Would it be instant destruction? No.
    Was ISS hit by small debris before without being endangered? Plenty of times, one was this very year:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/space-j...space-station/

How high are actual chances of debris that actually crosses ISS orbit to hit it?
    Currently it is enough for estimated collision chance to hit 1 in 10000 to initiate orbital maneuver.
    Given that no maneuver was made here chance is clearly lower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, i also think it's political issue rather then competency issue.
    Aww, look who's trying to back out of calling NASA incompetent in the literal post before this one. Who's a cute little backtracker? Who's a cute little backtracker? You are! Would you like a turnip, Shalcker? Would you? Huh?

You keep posting that paid propaganda that makes no sense. It's adorable. And I wouldn't want you to starve while freezing to death on the way out that fifth-floor window.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Aww, look who's trying to back out of calling NASA incompetent in the literal post before this one. Who's a cute little backtracker? Who's a cute little backtracker? You are! Would you like a turnip, Shalcker? Would you? Huh?
    "Back out"? As i said that was just response to saying Russians could be incompetent.

Though you never have been known for reading comprehension.

Guys, guys, let's all take a deep breath, step back, and thank Elon Musk for inventing space in the first place, so this scenario could unfold.

10+ Year Old Account
    (contiues being adorable)
    Never change, Shalcker. You keep earning those turnips. Nobody here wants you to starve to death. We can discuss what "you literally said NASA was incompetent" means later, and also, what the "I" in ISS means.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Guys, guys, let's all take a deep breath, step back, and thank Elon Musk for inventing space in the first place, so this scenario could unfold.
    Obviously Russians invented space first too with Tsyolkovsky!

10+ Year Old Account
    By the way, Russia knew they either would do this on purpose, or could do this by accident. On Oct 14 the UK proposed to the UN rules about, well, stopping exactly this from happening. The US sided with them, and in fact the vote was 163 to 8. As you can guess by this information in this post, the 8 included Russia, China I guess that makes sense, North Korea okay, Iran that's a bit of a long shot there, and...Venezuela? Venezuela is as likely to get to space as they are to invent a cancer cure by spraying one carcinogen onto another carcinogen seriously Far Cry 6 what the fuck?

I'm sure Russia, standing with the very fine people on both sides, had their reasons for literally advocating violence and chaos.