Quick Feedback on WoW avatars

Hey guys, I’m new to the whole World of Warcraft game, and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions. Firstly, how happy are the people playing W.o.W. over the amount of customization that’s allowed for people’s avatar? Does the character people choose in the game affect how others talk or treat them? (or if they've picked the opposite gender of their own) Lastly does your rank have any impact over your appearance (w/ unlocking items), like can you identify someone just starting out by the way they look? Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by snorcross11 View Post
    Firstly, how happy are the people playing W.o.W. over the amount of customization that’s allowed for people’s avatar?
    Best game in terms of having the widest variety of different body types and races you can play. You can be a human, or a beautiful elf, or a cute little fox furry, or a hunched over orc, or an inhuman beastman like a Tauren. Other games might have more detailed facial customization, but none can match WoW in races.

Does the character people choose in the game affect how others talk or treat them?
    Not really. Maybe a decade ago people cracked jokes about Forsaken being played by edgy teenagers or Gnomes being played by pervs, but that was it. Only stereotype today is that Vulpera are played by tumblr furries.

(or if they've picked the opposite gender of their own)
    For a long time the stereotype was that women didn't play WoW and that belves were virtual barbies being played with by guys. Again, no one really cares anymore.

can you identify someone just starting out by the way they look?
    Way back in Vanilla to Wrath, getting a fancy armor set was prestigious and indicated that you were either a top PvPer, or you were a raider. Nowadays you can get fancy looks for doing nothing, so the only way you will look like a newbie is if you have literally just started the game and you're wearing the starter zone gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Best game in terms of having the widest variety of different body types and races you can play. You can be a human, or a beautiful elf, or a cute little fox furry, or a hunched over orc, or an inhuman beastman like a Tauren. Other games might have more detailed facial customization, but none can match WoW in races.

Not really. Maybe a decade ago people cracked jokes about Forsaken being played by edgy teenagers or Gnomes being played by pervs, but that was it. Only stereotype today is that Vulpera are played by tumblr furries.

For a long time the stereotype was that women didn't play WoW and that belves were virtual barbies being played with by guys. Again, no one really cares anymore.

Way back in Vanilla to Wrath, getting a fancy armor set was prestigious and indicated that you were either a top PvPer, or you were a raider. Nowadays you can get fancy looks for doing nothing, so the only way you will look like a newbie is if you have literally just started the game and you're wearing the starter zone gear.
    Wow thanks so much for the quick response back, I really appreciate it! So if characters basically all look the same does that annoy or ruin the longevity of high ranking players who can't show off to their friends their rank?lol And so if the stereotype is that women don't play world of warcraft, does being a female (or the same character as someone else) hurt your chances of being invited into a clan at all or do they add solely on your rank alone? Thanks again!

So if characters basically all look the same does that annoy or ruin the longevity of high ranking players who can't show off to their friends their rank?
    Not really. People stopped caring about obtaining stuff for prestige status long ago. Heroic raiders might care if someone is decked out in mythic gear (because that means he's almost certainly a really good player you can ask for advice or try to recruit) but they're looking at their stat screen, not their visuals (which are usually transmogged to look like something else that other people can easily acquire), and only a small portion of the playerbase is into high end raiding anyway. High end raiders determine prestige status within their circle by going to the internet and looking up what boss kills they have participated in, their DPS records, etc.

The only really visible indicator of prestige status right now are in the gladiator mounts (be in the top 0.5% of PvPers for the season), and the ahead of the curve raid mounts (kill the final boss of an expansion on heroic difficulty before the next expansion comes out), but again most people don't care (your average WoW player can't recognize a gladiator mount), and the people who do get those mounts usually never use them anyway, preferring the look of another mount.

if the stereotype is that women don't play world of warcraft
    That stereotype doesn't really persist anymore.

does being a female (or the same character as someone else) hurt your chances of being invited into a clan
    Not really. Casual guilds invite whoever. Friends only guilds will only invite their friends. Raid guilds invite people who pass the try outs and have work schedules that allow them to attend the raid night. Occasionally you hear stories on Preach's Drama Time series about guys bending trying to hit on them, but that's it.

does being a ... the same character as someone else... hurt your chances of being invited into a clan at all
    No, nobody cares if you have copied another person's armor appearance. There are online websites where people post armor appearances and list the items used so that other people can imitate those looks.

There are a handful of guilds that invite players depending on what race they play, but they are either RP guilds (ie, a guild themed as a Tauren Tribe made up of Tauren RPers), or you have joke guilds made up exclusively of Gnomes, but they're the exception and not the rule.

or do they add solely on your rank alone?
    High end guilds trying to raid on heroic or mythic difficulty will usually select for players who are geared and have a record of relevant boss kills.

I haven't played WoW yet, I don't know if I like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aning View Post
    I haven't played WoW yet, I don't know if I like it or not.
    Have you played any previous Blizzard games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, I’m new to the whole World of Warcraft game, and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions. Firstly, how happy are the people playing W.o.W. over the amount of customization that’s allowed for people’s avatar? Does the character people choose in the game affect how others talk or treat them? (or if they've picked the opposite gender of their own) Lastly does your rank have any impact over your appearance (w/ unlocking items), like can you identify someone just starting out by the way they look? Thanks so much!

You sure you aren't doing any sort of, let's say, research? You wouldn't happen to work for a company called Activision-Blizzard would you?