Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Most players don't want that anymore. Which is why you have half an AV bitch and leave if you some want to try to turtle to turn a losing match into a win.
    I don't know about "most players". If the games were adequately rewarding, I think people would stick around. The problem is that most people have a purpose - getting currencies to get upgrades - that they want the fastest route to that, often with the least amount of effort and mathematically it doesn't make sense to drag out a game if that is your end goal.

Speaking personally, I play for fun and those back-and-forth battles where the outcome can change based on play are some of the best experiences I've had in this game. I know several in my circle are the same, and those who have quit because the game no longer has anything for people that want to be fighting for longer than a short skirmish.

Ideally they would cater to both crowds. Short games can be arena and the smaller battlegrounds, and long games can be the bigger ones. They're in separate queues so there is no excuse to only cater to the instant gratification crowd (when actually the latter are probably the more valuable players anyway).

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Yeah like once every 20 games or something. And mostly they do it to make you lose. But here you only make yourself the loser. It's completely different.
    In my experience it’s only to try and throw the game about half of the time the other half is people saying they won’t waste there time with a game they know they won’t win, rather them losing is even true or not.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

This is bound to fail unless there is gear normalisation. I joined too many skirmishes (back in 9.0/9.1) where I had 30-35k health and my team mates had 20k.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    In my experience it’s only to try and throw the game about half of the time the other half is people saying they won’t waste there time with a game they know they won’t win, rather them losing is even true or not.
    But you can lose the first match and win the next 5 and gain a massive "win"? It's like leaving after being first blood? This rarely ever happens. And league/dota are working perfectly fine anyway. I don't think this will be an issue at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    This is bound to fail unless there is gear normalisation. I joined too many skirmishes (back in 9.0/9.1) where I had 30-35k health and my team mates had 20k.
    I have seen r1 glads in greens beating 2.2k teams. This is mmr based.. or hopefully will be in 10.0.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    But you can lose the first match and win the next 5 and gain a massive "win"? It's like leaving after being first blood? This rarely ever happens. And league/dota are working perfectly fine anyway. I don't think this will be an issue at all..
    I've seen quite a few people quit after first blood or after there first death while the rest of the team is doing fine and or good, though normally with some "words" exchanged to be fair.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

They reason that simply attaching rating to the skirmish bracket would reduce social activitiy in the premade group finder? It did that already when they allowed boosting services to flourish.

Why do they make things complicated when it's so simple. Add solo queue to 2v2/3v3 rated arena with as little changes as possible.

And talking about people being dispensable? What does that have to do with solo queue? Nothing, I don't think Blizzard know at all what they are doing.

Can any regular pvpers explain why the first kill win condition exists? Is it purely to stop the remaining players turtling and dragging the loss out? Rogues stealthing etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Pretty interesting concept.

I haven't played arena in a long time, but i'll certainly give this a go.

Sure I could try this but to be honest I would queue this with no PvP gear at all and bring my team down, as I just want fast Conquest gear (I assume this gives significantly faster contquest points than random BGs).

If it barely gives Conquest points, I would not play it, even with good gear.
    Last edited by MiiiMiii; 2021-11-16 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    Sure I could try this but to be honest I would queue this with no PvP gear at all and bring my team down, as I just want fast Conquest gear (I assume this gives significantly faster contquest points than random BGs).

If it barely gives Conquest points, I would not play it, even with good gear.
    I think this is the crux of it - how strong will the rewards be. That, imo, will dictate who does / does not play this mode.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

I've seen quite a few people quit after first blood or after there first death while the rest of the team is doing fine and or good, though normally with some "words" exchanged to be fair.
    Yeah in bronze / silver. Pretty much never ever happens gold and up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Can any regular pvpers explain why the first kill win condition exists? Is it purely to stop the remaining players turtling and dragging the loss out? Rogues stealthing etc?
    Because healers are stupidly OP in relative power so that people want to play them. Against 3 uncoordinated people you can easily outheal them for minutes on end. It is pretty stupid that going all in doesn't come with the punishment of going down to 2v2 though. I think it should play out for 30 seconds after death and if nobody else dies, it's resolved.

Class before gear then

If their appetite for arena is insatiable why the hell are 2000 queue times sometimes 15mins?

- - - Updated - - -

Healers are to powerful and kinda break pvp. If you kill a dos usually you can no longer pressure a healer even with perfect play.

It is why your capped on how many healers you can bring into a RBG.

Certain problems take a decade or so to solve. Well done to the Einstein at Irvine that divined this transformational idea that so many before him failed to do.

It's not like participation is at unprecedented lows despite all game design pushing people to arenas. No, not desperation.

I don't get why some people make it seem like it's a big deal that the arena ends as soon as someone gets killed. I'd imagine that 99.5% of arena games are won by the team that lands the first kill anyway. I would have agreed with the concern if triple dps comps were a thing, but the "1 healer per team" requirement prevents that.

Sure, there'll definitely be situations where the other team could have landed a kill after the first, but I do see Blizzard's point of wanting to make the whole rotation quick and avoid the majority of 2v3 scenarios where you just spend a bunch of time killing people off (which can add up to a lot of time over 6 games). I personally prefer the efficiency and think this is a cool format.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipped coin View Post
    If their appetite for arena is insatiable why the hell are 2000 queue times sometimes 15mins?

- - - Updated - - -

Healers are to powerful and kinda break pvp. If you kill a dos usually you can no longer pressure a healer even with perfect play.

It is why your capped on how many healers you can bring into a RBG.
    Right, so why not a limit? 30 seconds without a kill and it ends. 1 minute, 90 seconds. I just think about a scenario where it's 3v3, both teams pressure a DPS, one gets to 2% and one dies - a matter of one hit difference and it would have been 2v2. I just think there should be a buffer, and if a kill does happen (making it 2v2 ) it continues.

Right, so why not a limit? 30 seconds without a kill and it ends. 1 minute, 90 seconds. I just think about a scenario where it's 3v3, both teams pressure a DPS, one gets to 2% and one dies - a matter of one hit difference and it would have been 2v2. I just think there should be a buffer, and if a kill does happen (making it 2v2 ) it continues.
    Its possible but not likely... what you are suggesting isn't likely and 1 dps 1 healer fights are going to go on till 70%+ healing reduction depending on if the mortal wound dps died or not.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Sad but true. I met my best friend back in Cata. He was a Resto Druid who was looking for a DPS for Arenas.

Now we are best friend and was the best man for my wedding (best man, is that realy the right word? lol)

The social aspect of the game died when they introduced Xrealm and deleted arenateams.

It died when people started bitching about how no one talks while not trying to interact. You choose to quick queue, not talk in groups. I consistently have met new people since the end of TBC because I try too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    In case you didn't read: You will play with all players in a given shuffle, so if you have a teammate with 20k hp, than you will also play against him.

Because most of the time first kill equals win. Of course sometimes it does happen that the other team can make a comeback but it's rare in 3v3.

I think this is the crux of it - how strong will the rewards be. That, imo, will dictate who does / does not play this mode.
    I think we should actually go away from rewards. In general the WoW has become too rewards oriented. Every time something is added to the game there's a drama about rewards. We should take a step back and think about fun first, rewards later. Of course people will not play this if daily quests in new zones give better rewards, but that's a problem with those daily quests. If we would power/gear progression from Torghast, Maw, Korthia and other world q, dailies and weeklies people would have more time to play in general and would spend it doing something they enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    It died when people started bitching about how no one talks while not trying to interact. You choose to quick queue, not talk in groups. I consistently have met new people since the end of TBC because I try too.
    The biggest hit it took with introduction of crossrealms. Before that people knew each other from cities, open world and stuff like that. You had a limited number of people you could interact with and so you made friends or you played with your guild. Everybody had his reputation. For example, nowadays people that run M+ don't use automatic queue and need to find people/groups themselves but the amount of people available to them is so big that they don't have to care about having regular groups/guilds. It helps of course, but it's not required.

I waited so long for this. Too late guys, too late. Sadge.