Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keten View Post
    I don't disagree. As I mentioned, I don't really approve of this change and don't really see a need for it. I only recognize that many, if not most, MMOs already do this so I'm not terribly shocked by it. It's also, honestly, minor enough that I'm not terribly bothered by it. But, YMMV, and if it's important to you then it's important to you

I'm sure they've stated a reason for the change, but it escapes me at the moment. Are you familiar with their reasoning? I'd be interested to know why they're making this change that, understandably, only serves to annoy people, at best.
    something something, they want to make sure people have someone to play with in a variety of content instead of doing the same efficient content all the time and that's why instead of letting people pick the content they are doing, they are going to be profiling specific planets/quests/etc every day/week to channel people into that specific content. to keep it populated or something or other. now that tagging is going to be shared within your faction they think it would be helpful. and I think it would push me away from the game until either next story update, or when/if they reconsider or possibly for good. I used to play GW2 a lot... until they changed daily meta to focus on specific areas which despite shared tags actualy made them harder to complete as so many people in the same area meant tagging and contributing enough just got much harder. not to mention the game went from "go where you want, and still complete some extra objectives as you play as there were so many of them and they were so flexible" to - "you can complete daily objectives, or play where you want to play. not both at the same time"

and as I said, plenty of games allow you to complete these types of dailies/weeklies at your own pace and are not reset after a limited time. granted... I haven't played neverwinter recently so maybe they changed it too... wouldn't be surprised given how much they changed IMO for the worse... but that game also let you keep weekly objectives in your log past the week you picked them up in

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I kinda have to. right now I'm mostly popping in to finish the story here and there and to get those weekly conquest rewards before they are nerfed into uselessness. I don't play enough to justify for myself getting a subscription at the moment, BUT... when I do play with any regularity - I subscribe. not to mention.. its the only way to unlock expansion access when those release since swtor doesn't just sell those directly anymore.

for example. I like housing. while I do housing more in ESO, swtor was my gateway into housing and I still like to collect homes as they are released. but.... with credit limits - most homes are either inaccessible all together, or cannot be fully upgraded.. unless you spend cartel coins which cost money, whether you do that to get credits out of escrow, or unlock wings with cartel coins directly. but once you unlock the houses, you are fine, right? right? kinda. something that still annoys me about swtor housing is just how much of the furniture is stuck behind cartel coin rng boxes, and while sure you could buy them of GTN, but.... that's where the credit limits make a difference. again. could you decorate without any cartel purchases? to a point. but selection is much MUCH more limited that way. especially for decorations that instead of becoming a credit sink - utilize special currencies that you can only earn for a limited time.

now, lets look at unlocks. I'm lucky in that I started playing pre inflation (and while refer-a-friend program was still active, so you got a few of those unlocks for free) so I bought all of my unlocks with very small amounts of credits. some account unlocks were as little as 150k. they are a lot more expensive now, so f2p player more often then not would have to spend cartel coins if they wanted to get unlocks for their account. there are fewer unlocks needed now, so tbh I'm not sure what the adjusted cost is, but its generally in a long run better to get account unlocks vs per character and that's a nice chunk of cartel coins (you can earn some here and there, sure but its slow and the entire reward path to cc is completely closed off to you unless you subscribe - seasons, since cc are sub only rewards). another thing is that you COULD game the system (as I have and I'm assuming you have) and get as much unlocked as you can while you are subscribed for your "unlock the expansion" month - inventory slots, etc. but..... there is a reason why so many games prefer to be f2p. and its because its MORE profitable. people tend to feel smaller individual purchases less then they do a larger subscription fee, so they don't realize that they have spent more.

I'm rambling. but anyways, IMO, locking away a selling point of a content update behind ongoing subscription IMO is one of those choices the game makes when they want to have their cake and eat it too. they want to make subscriptions feel all but mandatory, while also utilizing the heck out of microtransactions. pick one SWTOR. oh who am I kidding, of course they will not.
    You forget, but sub gives you a monthly allowance of cartel coins.

The game is a sub game. People still seem confused about this cause there is an option to log in in a limited way.
    It just gives you the option to still log in and play parts of the game if for some reason you can't or don't want to sub. It keeps you engaged.

Now, it does raise the concern that if we are paying a sub, we really should be getting more content.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-12-19 at 03:14 AM.

To be honest, I think SWTOR got screwed at the timing of their expansion push back. They announced on 12/07 that they were pushing the expansion back to 02/15 and two days later at the game awards, Lost Ark announced a release date of 02/11 with a 02/08 early access. I am curious to see if SWTOR decides to push their expansion back a little more to not line up so closely with another MMO launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    You forget, but sub gives you a monthly allowance of cartel coins.

The game is a sub game. People still seem confused about this cause there is an option to log in in a limited way.
    It just gives you the option to still log in and play parts of the game if for some reason you can't or don't want to sub. It keeps you engaged.

Now, it does raise the concern that if we are paying a sub, we really should be getting more content.
    I don't forget it at all. it was honestly kinda the point i was making before. the free version of the game is more of an equivalent to FF14 trial then an actual f2p or even b2p game. too many restrictions and conditions you cannot get rid of in any way shape or form.

cartel coin allowance is a pittance, IMO. its not going to get you much at all. one month's allowance is not even going to cover one of the flash sale outifts they sell for half price at 700 cartel coins (some are more then that, and I think the only things less then that are tunings). not even with 100 coins you get from authenticator.

heck... changing appearance on a single character depending on how many things you change can run you up your entire monthly allowance. I spent something like 400coins changing my twilek merc to togruta, because i realized I didn't have one and didn't want to make a new character, so I picked the one of my 3 twileks for whome the race didn't matter as much in terms of how I roleplay her - I already had togruta unlocked, btw, so those are all the other changes.

there is no changing appearance with credits.... and they are missing out on a pretty decent credit sink there... but I guess they would rather keep it a cartel coin sink..... even for subscribers.

but I digress. should there be more content given how monetized the game is? YES. should they stop calling it f2p and admit that its a subscription game, it just doesn't completely lock you out of your account if you lapse? yes. they maybe had a leg to stand on back when we had weekly flashpoint and ops passes. but not... anymore. but this "we are a free to play game, except here are all the things you CANNOT do as free to play player" is getting old. commit one way or another. its kinda why I'm so annoyed with them. either do not lock systems out, or just admit that f2p is a trial version of the game.

I don't forget it at all. it was honestly kinda the point i was making before. the free version of the game is more of an equivalent to FF14 trial then an actual f2p or even b2p game. too many restrictions and conditions you cannot get rid of in any way shape or form.

cartel coin allowance is a pittance, IMO. its not going to get you much at all. one month's allowance is not even going to cover one of the flash sale outifts they sell for half price at 700 cartel coins (some are more then that, and I think the only things less then that are tunings). not even with 100 coins you get from authenticator.

heck... changing appearance on a single character depending on how many things you change can run you up your entire monthly allowance. I spent something like 400coins changing my twilek merc to togruta, because i realized I didn't have one and didn't want to make a new character, so I picked the one of my 3 twileks for whome the race didn't matter as much in terms of how I roleplay her - I already had togruta unlocked, btw, so those are all the other changes.

there is no changing appearance with credits.... and they are missing out on a pretty decent credit sink there... but I guess they would rather keep it a cartel coin sink..... even for subscribers.

but I digress. should there be more content given how monetized the game is? YES. should they stop calling it f2p and admit that its a subscription game, it just doesn't completely lock you out of your account if you lapse? yes. they maybe had a leg to stand on back when we had weekly flashpoint and ops passes. but not... anymore. but this "we are a free to play game, except here are all the things you CANNOT do as free to play player" is getting old. commit one way or another. its kinda why I'm so annoyed with them. either do not lock systems out, or just admit that f2p is a trial version of the game.
    I mean, the allowance adds up and you have to use it in a smart way.
    For example, pile up, buy a freshly released cool set and sell it on the GTN. Use credits to buy other stuff you want at lower price. That is another strategy. I have bought CC before but it was very rare and my characters all look cool.
    It's all about how you use it, not the size. XD

I do believe they call it an F2P "option", not outright F2P. But, they have clearly moved away from it. I don't mind it though. I don't like the F2P model.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-12-20 at 10:25 AM.

I do think subbing is the way to go in this game, as the F2P is just... so mean.

But even as a sub I've never a need to actually buy CCs. It's pretty easy to make substantial credits just doing mundane stuff like selling crafting materials; I'm up about 200 million this week alone, which can already buy you some very pretty sets and stuff. Using the CC from sub/authenticator can help you unlock them for your chars, for example, or you can buy a good deal every now and then. Will you be able to get everything? Probably not. But it's pretty reasonable for the amount of effort/real money you put in imo.

I mean, the allowamve adds up and you have to use it in a smart way.
    For example, pile up, buy a freshly released cool set and sell it on the GTN. Use credits to buy other stuff you want at lower price. That is another strategy. I have bought CC before but it was very rare and my characters all look cool.
    It's all aboit how you use it, not the size. XD

I do believe they call it an F2P "option", not outright F2P. But, they have clearly moved away from it. I don't mind it though. I don't like the F2P model.
    see I'd rather keep cc for things that I absolutely positively can NOT get with credits OR its so prohibitive with credits nowadays, its just easier to get with cartel coins. it adds up so slowly that there is honestly no other option IMO unless you buy extras. (another thing that is cartel only - account unlocks for outfits, crystals, etc

yes I will forever be salty that barbershop is cc only.

its also why I'm about 99.999% sure why they disabled refer a friend program. people were getting too many cartel coins they didn't need to pay for in some way (whether through direct purchases or subscription allowance). and I would bet you that there is a 50/50 chance at least that season 2 will have its cartel coins drastically reduced and/or account only rather then separate rewards for each server you do seasonal stuff on.

P.S. F2P in this game is mean enough to basically be a writing on the wall that if you want to play smoothly, you will be subscribing. I've seen gatcha mobile games that were less mean. not exaggerating.

yes I will forever be salty that barbershop is cc only.
    This I agree is kinda BS, I've literally remade entire characters just because I refuse to pay CC for appearance modifications. This desperately needs an alternative unlock with credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    This I agree is kinda BS, I've literally remade entire characters just because I refuse to pay CC for appearance modifications. This desperately needs an alternative unlock with credits.
    like... make it CC only for f2p and credits for subscribers. still mean, but at least it fits with their seeming philosophy of "want proper acess to the game? subscription is where its at. f2p is just a taste to leave you wanting more"

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20211220

End of the year/10th anniversary blog post. Nothing in here seems surprising, at least to me, outside of this -

We’re also eager to upgrade our visuals elsewhere in SWTOR: starting with Tython, Korriban, Hutta, and Ord Mantell, we’ll be starting a process of upgrading the visual fidelity of our planets to bring them more in line with the amazing work the team has created in recent years.
    Very curious about these visual updates to the UI and especially some of the older planets, there's definitely a difference in terms of design quality for some of the OG places compared to the more modern planets.

Might have to come back and catch up on the story and whatnot once they start dropping these updates to see how they look.

/random. facebook reminded me today that 10 days ago I was at launch event in NYC, at best buy.. and found it underwhelming :P forgot that it was exactly 10 years ago... still have signed poster though.

on a different note 50% off armor sets = mama is getting some new pants Lando's pants. been saving up my cc just for such occasion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any visual changes?
    The game's animations are pretty bad and outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Any visual changes?
    They are improving the whole performance and look of the game and 7.0 isn't out yet, so we can't say.
    But, i wouldn't expect animations to change. Not sure which ones you mean though. They have added different animations through the years when they add or revamp abilities.

If you mean movement, i suppose there is no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Any visual changes?
    Eh, personally I'm filing it under "particular aesthetic". Much like with WoW. Dated graphics to be sure, but it's a very distinct art style that I've gotten used to, and the fidelity for the most part is at least acceptable to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are improving the whole performance and look of the game and 7.0 isn't out yet, so we can't say.
    But, i wouldn't expect animations to change. Not sure which ones you mean though. They have added different animations through the years when they add or revamp abilities.

If you mean movement, i suppose there is no change.
    Well, mainly standing still. My jedi looks like a statue while standing still.

Hmm... no i don't think they changed idle animations. But hey... you can always dress your character in cool stuff. The more recent stuff is higher resolution and looks quite nice. Sone weapons/armor/mounts have special animations or effects when idle, but yeah. That's about it.

Been kind a jonesing to resub after a few months and bib around, but kinda seems pointless before the xpack.

Curious how fun it will be to do a new char with new combat styles and stuff. Honestly one of the biggest issues I've had playing smuggler and operative is that I don't really like any of the specs, but being able to use the bh/trooper ones could be pretty cool.

I assume on existing chars you get to pick whatever?
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    I assume on existing chars you get to pick whatever?
    It's unclear how this will work. Could be that you're stuck with whatever style are right now, but get to choose your second style freely; or it could be they'll give you a full reset and you get to pick both styles freely (assuming you're a subscriber, I think two styles is sub only). AFAIK they haven't made a clear announcement about this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Keten View Post
    I mostly only use CC for collections unlocks, and starting tomorrow they'll be 75% off so I plan on unlocking some things!

I do agree that changing appearance costing CC is stingy as hell. Race, fine, but not hairstyle and such. Even WoW eventually gave up on that.
    ''eventualy''? wrath was pretty early on,its been an eternity....heck now you can even gender change,thats one multiskiled barbor

in fact if they ever decide to change racials and make em non performance,it wouldnt surprise me if they add race change also,we saw how easy it is to do in the bfa raid

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean -- it's worth it to sub now if you want to level with the xp buff. Also, good time to make money. I haven't played seriously in years and realized I had so much stuff in my crate collection or whatever that I opened, but never put in my inventory/bound. I've made a couple billion credits, which is probably still not that much, but looking at the stuff I want to buy it's been hella amazing.

I funded all character unlocks for my leveling character, bought every house and expansion in the game, etc. and that didn't even dent the 5% credits I kept on that character and the rest went to my legacy storage. I'm always poor in WoW, so I feel like a self-made king. And to be honest, this game has always been under-the-radar amazing. I haven't raided since it first launched and the first xpac, but all the leveling, event, and social content is just great.

I went on a tear playing every MMO the first time wow went in the garbage, but I've been stuck as a world '1000th' raider grinding mythic since BFA. Now that it's gotten this bad again, I finally broke away and I'm back to playing all these MMOs and jesus they are fun. GW2 xpac coming, SWTOR xpac....new arpgs releasing, steam backlog.

Ah the life of breaking those blizz chains.
    BAD WOLF