Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Primus is the leader of maldraxdus he can't be the arbiter
    Old arbiter is fucking dead they need a new soul
    Ursoc is fucking dead do you even know the god danmed lore my dude? You sit here crying about the lore but don't even know the arbiter and ursoc are both gone, forever.
    Elune the arbiter... You serious? And ysera? She ain't dead. She's gunna come back to azeroth with us...
    Again the covenant leaders have their own things, they can't be the arbiter.
    Lol the naaru? They ain't even from the shadowlands. They were stolen, their first thing is gunna be going back home. They would not be a good arbiter because they are bias to the light..
    Calm down. Yes, I'm serious, every single one of those characters would fit better than Pelagos. Any lore gymnastics they would have to do to get those characters on board ("oh look, we can bring Ursol's soul back"), however cringy, would still be better than Pelagos. Any arguments you bring against those characters, are, to me, weaker than Pelagos' "nobodysm" and ineptitude. I could pull another 20 characters out of my ass, which would still be more fitting in my eyes, than Pelagos.

That's how much I think Pelagos is a poor choice.

And the argument about sacrificing important lore character is kinda void to me. Arbiter is an important lore position deciding fate of countless souls. Putting random nobody in this position only undermines the lore. Like Bolvar becoming Lich King, like Illidan becoming Sargeras' jailer so should reliable character become arbiter
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I really don't think there exists a good choice. Mortals are inherently biased and the various covenants have also shown themselves to be deeply flawed. I mean, isn't that why they made a robot out of Zovaal's sigil in the first place?

You'd think the quest would be to get zovaal's sigil back and use that to make a new arbiter. Just promoting someone randomly, after countless souls have been funneled into the maw for no reason, seems kind of bad.

So, judging by the new model, it looks like it's confirmed Pelagos will be the Arbiter, and not just sacrifice his soul to create one. Any hopes that this is devs trolling dataminers seems to be out the window as well. Pity
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is not the first time they used a character only a selection of the players have seen, to push foreward the plot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really mind, it's pretty much whatever.

The yawning plot hole at the start of this whole story is even more obvious than in the original datamine. Before the question was why anyone had to be the Arbiter when the version that was active was a construct running the Bald Man's stolen judgesoul.exe file on repeat, so surely they could just either repair it or print out a new one. Back then you could have some deniability about how maybe they lost the files. But now not only do we know they didn't lose the files, not only is there a new instance of the Arbiter template being created as the whole point of the quest, but we succeed in stopping those trying to interrupt it and then still elect the only person in the room to be the Arbiter instead. For what purpose?

The saving grace of this plot beat is that while it's dumb, it's also irrelevant, because the Arbiter was never a character but a program and whether she has no face or has the face of a golden twink is irrelevant to her role in the plot. And that role in the plot is at this stage also irrelevant given the narrative did absolutely nothing with the whole crowing about determinism and the flaws of the system it had going before and if the story isn't interested in addressing the implications of the Arbiter and the purpose and characteristics of the character are the same either way it doesn't matter who it is past the visual design. And in that regard the previous visual design was better.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-12-16 at 01:23 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

What I'm expecting: after we beat the Jailer, before dying he sees Pelagos thanking him for bringing the important change and fulfilling his purpose, allowing him to die peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Calm down. Yes, I'm serious, every single one of those characters would fit better than Pelagos. Any lore gymnastics they would have to do to get those characters on board ("oh look, we can bring Ursol's soul back"), however cringy, would still be better than Pelagos. Any arguments you bring against those characters, are, to me, weaker than Pelagos' "nobodysm" and ineptitude. I could pull another 20 characters out of my ass, which would still be more fitting in my eyes, than Pelagos.

That's how much I think Pelagos is a poor choice.

And the argument about sacrificing important lore character is kinda void to me. Arbiter is an important lore position deciding fate of countless souls. Putting random nobody in this position only undermines the lore. Like Bolvar becoming Lich King, like Illidan becoming Sargeras' jailer so should reliable character become arbiter
    you are basicaly trying to replace aids with a degenerative brain disease lol,one may be better to have than the other...but they both suck

pelagos could have been a good option if they were actualy....a developed character

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    you are basicaly trying to replace aids with a degenerative brain disease lol,one may be better to have than the other...but they both suck

pelagos could have been a good option if they were actualy....a developed character
    Why? Because The Arbiter has so much character development sitting slumped over in a room you only go to a few times?

Right.

Some of you just love to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Why? Because The Arbiter has so much character development sitting slumped over in a room you only go to a few times?

Right.

Some of you just love to complain.
    the arbiter didnt need development,it was a machine made to do a job,we didnt know her,and she was dead by the time we get there,also im not the one complaining,i dont rly care if the replacement is well developed

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    the arbiter didnt need development,it was a machine made to do a job,we didnt know her,and she was dead by the time we get there,also im not the one complaining,i dont rly care if the replacement is well developed
    So then it doesn't actually matter who fulfills the purpose because it was an undeveloped role in the first place and we have some modicum of development of Pelagos.

It would be completely useless to put a well-developed character in a role that literally requires them to interact with 99.999999% of existence approximately never.

So then it doesn't actually matter who fulfills the purpose because it was an undeveloped role in the first place and we have some modicum of development of Pelagos.

It would be completely useless to put a well-developed character in a role that literally requires them to interact with 99.999999% of existence approximately never.
    I cant say i disagree

It matters who fulfills the purpose, as it's the backbone of the whole expansion and the whole concept of afterlife in WoW universe. Arbiter isn't a character that needs development. It's a role, that has received a lot of indirect development. It was deciding the fate of souls passing to shadowlands and you have seen the fate of souls landing in all 4 covenant zones, and what happened after Arbiter was obliterated - souls landing in the Maw. Apparently it's this role that the Jailer, Sylvanas and their bunch of villains, are rebelling against. Arbiter is the heart of all shadowlands and its purpose.

As such, if a single character was to take this role, and judge all souls, you would expect someone reliable to take it.

Not useless. Story and lore demands an ending that makes sense. Like Illidan becoming Sargeras' jailer, like Bolvar becoming a lich king (back in Wotlk we didn't expect to see him again).

Stupid end to this exp pack.

Pelagos did jack shit of note the entire expansion and her track record can be resumed to : failing for millenia.

But i guess it make sence to replace a machine with a blue automaton. The choice is just horrible, as there is far more competent winged automaton then her out there.

She should be the last automaton to be picked for such a highly important job ( in the context of the shadowland functionning, not lore.)

does it really matter?

as far as I'm concerned the entirety of shadowlands is going to be a footnote rather than a chapter in Warcrafts lore

It is bizarre that someone who consistently failed everything they did would be promoted to be -the- arbiter of where a soul should go though.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by naeblis495 View Post
    She should be the last automaton to be picked for such a highly important job ( in the context of the shadowland functionning, not lore.)
    Apparently, there is a lot of "reverse selection" going on in the Shadowlands - much like in the RL company

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't this mean that Pelagos is getting robbed of his afterlife experience, though? Like he's not going to be able to just travel around Bastion soaking in the light anymore, right? I feel that's a big reason to have it handled by an automaton; the consequences are less severe. Seems odd to force that in if there are other options, but maybe it will change during the PTR.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pelagos was a female on his past life. Then reincarnated into a male on this one.

There´s a group of devs in wow who are pushing racially hard on the whole integration issue. Which is absolutely uncalled for, as the game never had any political issues of this sort until they started opening the can of worms. Before, none cared where people came from, their skin color or sexual orientation, we were all pros or noobs the same

This is clearly a push to get a "trans" chanracter into an important role. However, Pelagos is not trans, as he never changed his sex. He reincarnated as a male where he was female on his previous life. So they didn´t quite get their point done at all anyway.

However, I see this whole thing as a positive message:

Pelagos character was alwas on a struggle for identity and purpose. This comes to tell that anyone can become relevant. Anyone can overcome insecurities, doubts and so on.
    I think it is a great move, because anyway, Shadowlands will be irrelevant after 10.0 ... maybe even after 9.2.5 ... So who cares? none will ever hear again from the Arbiter, just like we never heard of it before. So it better not be a relevant character but instead use the chance to send a positive message.

I just hate that they tried to push another card into this already mentioned hot topic... leave all the uncalled RL topics aside, really. I will keep the positive out of it, see its bright side. But no, Pelagos is not a trans character, it is a reincarnated character. Why? because this is World of Warcraft, fanasy goes ahead, RL issues stay in RL.
    ---

I must note: I have nothing against trans people, I couldn´t care less. I do have something against the modern hippy happy devs trying to force feed real life topics into games. We always had funny RL references in the game, but things started going overboard lately with literal game modifications, censorship, and such...
    Last edited by shise; 2022-01-11 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Before, none cared where people came from, their skin color or sexual orientation, we were all pros or noobs the same
    ... Your experiences are not universal.

If you haven't encountered politics and drama in the playerbase then yeah maybe you're lucky.

But if you haven't noticed it in the game, then it's because you agree with the politics and morals they're displaying or they just don't register for you.
    Twas brillig