Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Okay, now that people have ranted about Pelagos' part of the story, lets see what Kleia is saying (taken from the same wowhead page):

Looks to me that Pelagos will not really be the new Arbiter, but that his anima will power up the new Arbiter. It will be an act of self-sacrifice. It makes perfect sense that the Kyrian Pelagos, who kept failing at getting ascended, sacrifices himself for the good of the Shadowlands. I mean, it's the quintessential kyrian thing to do.
    Turning this Pelagos boi into a glorified battery would probably be the best outcome. Because the apparent alternative is just... WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Meaningless character become meaningless arbiter of meaningless shadowlands.
    basically. lol
    change can't wait.

throwaway character for a throwaway story in a throwaway expansion.
    all being swept under the rug, instead of in the trash can where it belongs.

also who the f is pelagos?
    i had to open up the pedia to even recall which of the blue smurfs that one is.
    as a writer if u want to sacrifice a character of mediocre value at least pick one that was memorable for something.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroPup View Post
    I'm pretty sure at this point we aren't going to know what shut down the Arbiter. Like so many plot points from Blizz it's just a thing that happened and best not to question or think about it too much.
    Wasn't it confirmed somewhere that it was Argus' soul, and that was the Nathrezim's plan all along with the Burning Legion? Or was that just fanmade speculation? I cannot remember...
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I would agree with all of this, if not for one thing. Pelagos had almost no exposition. If they planned him to take that role then he would have been presented more and would have been a major NPC. The fact that he has been chosen looks more like an emergency turn. And even then that's strange, because I can think of numerous bigger NPCs, who could have been used for that role:
    - Uther
    - Primus
    - Old arbiter reactivated
    - Elune, Ysera. Even Ursoc making a return
    - every covenant leader separately
    - covenant leaders merging into a new arbiter
    - the naaru from Revendreth (I even don't remember its name, but still a bigger guy than Pelagos)
    I agree any of the above choices would be pushing and would require some mental / lore gymnastics, but not any bigger than Pelagos. Which begs the question - why was Pelagos, of all of those characters, chosen.
    Primus is the leader of maldraxdus he can't be the arbiter
    Old arbiter is fucking dead they need a new soul
    Ursoc is fucking dead do you even know the god danmed lore my dude? You sit here crying about the lore but don't even know the arbiter and ursoc are both gone, forever.
    Elune the arbiter... You serious? And ysera? She ain't dead. She's gunna come back to azeroth with us...
    Again the covenant leaders have their own things, they can't be the arbiter.
    Lol the naaru? They ain't even from the shadowlands. They were stolen, their first thing is gunna be going back home. They would not be a good arbiter because they are bias to the light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Okay, now that people have ranted about Pelagos' part of the story, lets see what Kleia is saying (taken from the same wowhead page):

Looks to me that Pelagos will not really be the new Arbiter, but that his anima will power up the new Arbiter. It will be an act of self-sacrifice. It makes perfect sense that the Kyrian Pelagos, who kept failing at getting ascended, sacrifices himself for the good of the Shadowlands. I mean, it's the quintessential kyrian thing to do.
    Yeah idk why people think sacrificing an important lore character to literally be an emotionless machine is "better" then sacrificing someone who has tried and failed at everything for Millenia, finally feeling like they have something they can accomplish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Pelagos

According to the wiki he was in a grand total of...two quests.

And the dialogue is easily missed since you only see it if you're a Kyrian and you can't find him again after the two quests are done, literally anywhere in Bastion.
    He has 2 quests he gives you directly. But he comes with you and takes part in MANY others... Using how many quests he personally gives you as a mark of how important he is. Kinda fucking pathetic.

Hey guys the Lich King arthas only handed out 3 quests. Guess he's pretty fucking pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Who's Pelagos?

Also, The Jailer should have been Arthas, damnit!
    Except arthas has only been dead a couple years. So that would have been pretty fucking lame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Wasn't it confirmed somewhere that it was Argus' soul, and that was the Nathrezim's plan all along with the Burning Legion? Or was that just fanmade speculation? I cannot remember...
    Fan speculation. Currently it is known to have been denathrius. He shot a big ol' blast of anima to shut down the arbiter. As he was blamed for the drought. But if that means he shot her down, or if he just boarded anima we are not 100%
    If anything we will likely hear in 9.2 what that was if not denathrius hitting her on purpose.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2021-11-30 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Primus is the leader of maldraxdus he can't be the arbiter
    Old arbiter is fucking dead they need a new soul
    Ursoc is fucking dead do you even know the god danmed lore my dude? You sit here crying about the lore but don't even know the arbiter and ursoc are both gone, forever.
    Elune the arbiter... You serious? And ysera? She ain't dead. She's gunna come back to azeroth with us...
    Again the covenant leaders have their own things, they can't be the arbiter.
    Lol the naaru? They ain't even from the shadowlands. They were stolen, their first thing is gunna be going back home. They would not be a good arbiter because they are bias to the light..
    Calm down. Yes, I'm serious, every single one of those characters would fit better than Pelagos. Any lore gymnastics they would have to do to get those characters on board ("oh look, we can bring Ursol's soul back"), however cringy, would still be better than Pelagos. Any arguments you bring against those characters, are, to me, weaker than Pelagos' "nobodysm" and ineptitude. I could pull another 20 characters out of my ass, which would still be more fitting in my eyes, than Pelagos.

That's how much I think Pelagos is a poor choice.

And the argument about sacrificing important lore character is kinda void to me. Arbiter is an important lore position deciding fate of countless souls. Putting random nobody in this position only undermines the lore. Like Bolvar becoming Lich King, like Illidan becoming Sargeras' jailer so should reliable character become arbiter
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I really don't think there exists a good choice. Mortals are inherently biased and the various covenants have also shown themselves to be deeply flawed. I mean, isn't that why they made a robot out of Zovaal's sigil in the first place?

You'd think the quest would be to get zovaal's sigil back and use that to make a new arbiter. Just promoting someone randomly, after countless souls have been funneled into the maw for no reason, seems kind of bad.