Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A guy who had to be safed 3-5 (?) times, because he failed miserably & couldn't achieve anything on his own ... should now lead all souls in the shadowlands?
    Seems like a stupid choice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    I think people are jumping to conclusions a bit. Leaving aside it could be bait for dataminers to hide the real story, Pelagos wouldn't be capable of the Arbiter's job alone. It's probably going to be a representative of each covenant working as a group, Guardian of Tirisfal style.
    Has Blizzard ever done this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Honestly I can give a good answer to all those as why not

1. Uther: already showed bad judgement cannot be trusted

2. Primus:. Needed to run/keep order in Maldraxxus. Designed to do that.

3. Old Arbitor: this place is machine like ..old one is obviously flawed so new design needed.

4.Elune: only associated with realm of death through her sister incompatible

5. Ysera and Ursoc: Assuming Ursocs soul is still around beings of Ardenweld are meant for reincarnation. Can't be the Arbitor if your alive

6. Every covenant leader separately. Only ones built to judge and he needs to stay in his realm. Lack of neutrality.

7. Fuse ALL THE LEADERS. This isn't Yugioh. You can't cast Polymerization to make a bigger god

8. Naaru: not supposed to be there, naaru aren't known for their neutrality
    Pelagos' whole arc was how bad he was at everything, mixed up in emotion, confused, unsure of himself. How is that really different from Uther et al?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    It's infinitely better then any other solution. A nobody literal who character whose never going to matter again after this. Set to a meaningless job nobodys ever going to acknowledge in or out of game once the expansion ends.
    Plus it's only being done for brownie points
    I don't think anyone cares about the practicality of this choice, or is mad when they ask themselves "what are the ramifications of this AFTER Shadowlands..."

Its more about "How will this be a compelling story/lore while we are seeing/playing/experiencing it. If we were watching a movie and this happened, would you be confused or say good choice?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    That's the problem of a "universal" Afterlife, every single race must somehow abide by one moral conduct, whereas that may entirely depend on your own moral point of view.
    If i were to cite another character, Grom Hellscream is someone that by "Alliance moral standards" probably belongs into Revendreth or even the Maw, yet by "Orcish standards" he clearly goes to Maldraxxus.
    Maybe its more like Harry Potter, where the Arbiter/Sorting Hat chooses what is in your heart, instead of trying to use a subjective set or morals. Maybe Garrosh went to Revendreth because he regretted so much and had lots of shame, but deep down he knows he did it to protect the Horde. I think I remember something like that happening with someone you are "hunting" while in Revendreth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Pelagos' whole arc was how bad he was at everything, mixed up in emotion, confused, unsure of himself. How is that really different from Uther et al?
    No one would care long term if Pelegos gets turned into a godly automatic ticket machine unlike Uther

15+ Year Old Account
    Feels weird to take a relatively minor character in one of the Covenants and make them a central figure in the Shadowlands cosmology. He wasn't even one of the Paragons.

Elevating one of the Eternal Ones and replacing them with one of the higher ranked Covenant leader would make more sense.

E.g. make Kyrestia the new Arbiter, elevate one of the current Paragons to Archon, elevate their Hand to Paragon, and make Pelagos the new Hand.

No one would care long term if Pelegos gets turned into a godly automatic ticket machine unlike Uther
    That isn't at all what we were discussing. Why are you now changing the subject?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destructor View Post
    I am disappointed I was counting on Illidan
    Uhh...Illidan's not dead?
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

That isn't at all what we were discussing. Why are you now changing the subject?
    Because that's what the ultimate fate of the Arbiter is. The person will essentially turn into an emotionless, personalityless machine effectively doomed to sit in Oribos in the same spot silently guiding souls to their respective afterlives. He's less Hades in Greek Mythology and more Charon or St Peter. Is the Arbiter important oh most definitely but it's more a main cog in the machine and less leader of the realm

Pelegos will essentially be erased
    Who would you rather be "erased" Uther or Pelegos

10+ Year Old Account

Maybe pelagos is a red herring?
    Picture from ptr according to reddit. uncorrupted anduin, thalysra.
    But could also be her trial / after anduin fight ... or just faked.
    Last edited by sunxsera; 2021-11-24 at 04:17 AM.

Because that's what the ultimate fate of the Arbiter is. The person will essentially turn into an emotionless, personalityless machine effectively doomed to sit in Oribos in the same spot silently guiding souls to their respective afterlives. He's less Hades in Greek Mythology and more Charon or St Peter. Is the Arbiter important oh most definitely but it's more a main cog in the machine and less leader of the realm

Pelegos will essentially be erased
    Who would you rather be "erased" Uther or Pelegos
    Again, I am responding to your post that said "Uther can't be picked because he showed bad judgement" and I replied with various negative things about Pelagos and now you are changing the subject. Thats moving goalposts.

Again, I am responding to your post that said "Uther can't be picked because he showed bad judgement" and I replied with various negative things about Pelagos and now you are changing the subject. Thats moving goalposts.
    Well then how about this Blizz wants to use Uther for other things and end Pelegos's story with this expansion

Well then how about this Blizz wants to use Uther for other things and end Pelegos's story with this expansion
    You still really aren't staying on subject at all ...

I mean these might be perfectly valid thought processes. I don't necessarily want Uther to be essentially deleted either. I was responding to your post saying X character won't fit because of Y reason - Pelagos would likely be disqualified for similar reasons.

Personally I don't feel that Pelagos being Arbiter would make a strong story. Maybe if they really put a lot more effort into his story, maybe how he doesn't feel like he fits into Bastion but he was sorted there anyway. That could allude to something greater. I don't know.

If you think about it, the end of this expansion will end LOTS of stories, so why does his need to end this way? I don't think we will revisit many of these characters.

Ehm, why is simply turning the Arbiter back on not an option?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Ehm, why is simply turning the Arbiter back on not an option?
    The Arbiter was disintegrated by Zovaal when he took back his sigil at the close of the SoD raid.

Last edited by Aucald; 2021-11-24 at 10:51 PM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Pelagos being Trans doesn't really matter at all, harping all that is just transphobic really.
    How convenient that anyone who criticizes nonsense in the plot can be called a transphobe. It was with those who criticized all the Visage Day bullshit with Chromie, it happened with those who criticized the Pelagos storyline. There are no bad storylines, there are only nasty, non-progressive transophobes who do not understand how poor Steve Danuser is trying for all of them.

Fuck this nonsense, it's obvious to anyone that Blizzard is adding these characters not out of real solidarity, but to show themselves as a progressive company because of all these harassment scandals within the company and to attract more players (and so that the rabid SJW warriors do not blame them for all the troubles ). This is what all corporations do. Disney wanted to show how progressive they are by making one of the Star Warriors' main heroes black, but they didn't say a word when China removed that character from the poster. Blizzard are the same. In the USA they will shout about progressiveness, in China they will tell how they respect traditions.

The story culminates with Pelagos realizing she will never be a man and giving up her blue twink imitation of the male form by turning into a giant mute, faceless woman perpetually in the kitchen Arbiter's platform making sandwhiches decisions on souls forever. I'm not sure it's the people opposing this plotline who've made a stronger statement as regards transsexuality than the writers.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-11-25 at 09:11 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Sounds to me like a last-minute decision after they hinted Sylv could become the new Arbiter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    A member of one covenant becoming arbiter goes against the whole point of the arbiter (dispassionate and unaligned with any faction). pretty dumb, not to mention out of the blue.

Smells like a last-minute swerve away from it being Sylvanas because of the negative reaction that idea got. Proof that no matter how off the rails something is, panicked decisionmaking can make it worse.
    There would have been no worse chose than Sylvanas...and they avoided that. Are there better choices? Possibly, but Sylvanas avoided was a great thing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    well, shes not dead...
    but if you mean kill her so she can become arbiter im in
    Nah not arbiter, make her the new jailer! Let her rot in the place she didn't want to go...the place were she knowingly sent many souls!

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Nah not arbiter, make her the new jailer! Let her rot in the place she didn't want to go...the place were she knowingly sent many souls!
    absolutely agree!
    though i dont think you mean the same person, we were talking about tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Meaningless character become meaningless arbiter of meaningless shadowlands.
    +1 upvote and amen

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The story culminates with Pelagos realizing she will never be a man and giving up her blue twink imitation of the male form by turning into a giant mute, faceless woman perpetually in the kitchen Arbiter's platform making sandwhiches decisions on souls forever. I'm not sure it's the people opposing this plotline who've made a stronger statement as regards transsexuality than the writers.
    I mean, putting a character like this into Afterlife is in itself already a joke, for which Blizzard lacks the self awareness to understand.

It's the same with their push for stronger female characters, yet at the same time, i can't think of more bipolar characters than Sylvanas, Tyrande and Jaina in the last four years, which again speaks to their lack of self awareness.