Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    The fact that we're not even allowed to discuss the most prominent aspect of this character should say enough on the matter
    How is it prominent? It's like half assed mentioned in a conversation string that most people would of missed if every wow news site and click bait YouTuber didn't make a big deal about it.

It's literally never mentioned again, he doesn't even go by a "they" pronoun, no point in the game does he try to correct people on his gender nor is it ever questioned.

Fuck Poison from Street Fighter being trans is more prominent and it's literally NEVER mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    How is it prominent? It's like half assed mentioned in a conversation string that most people would of missed if every wow news site and click bait YouTuber didn't make a big deal about it.

It's literally never mentioned again, he doesn't even go by a "they" pronoun, no point in the game does he try to correct people on his gender nor is it ever questioned.

Fuck Poison from Street Fighter being trans is more prominent and it's literally NEVER mentioned
    It's prominent solely because he has no other defining features as a character. He hasn't done anything remarkable. His story is limited to a single zone and part of the Covenant campaigns. He doesn't appear in any major cutscenes, stories, etc. Hell, he failed his trial to become an ascended and remained an aspirant. Pelagos is literally a nothing character, and so to elevate him to one of the most important positions in the WoW universe over the course of a single content patch can only paint this situation in a very particular light to anyone with half a mind; especially given the recent changes to the game's content Blizzard has been making

It's prominent solely because he has no other defining features as a character. He hasn't done anything remarkable. His story is limited to a single zone and part of the Covenant campaigns. He doesn't appear in any major cutscenes, stories, etc. Hell, he failed his trial to become an ascended and remained an aspirant. Pelagos is literally a nothing character, and so to elevate him to one of the most important positions in the WoW universe over the course of a single content patch can only paint this situation in a very particular light to anyone with half a mind; especially given the recent changes to the game's content Blizzard has been making
    Cause if they wanted to elevate a trans character why in the fuck would they elevate him to a point where narratively we will NEVER INTERACT WITH HIM AGAIN. Shit we can't die and if we did we wouldnt even remember passing through. 2 expansions from now no one's even going to remember him. I mean if they wanted to try to make a pro trans move they could of basically said "hey Zappy Boi was a girl and used voodoo to change"

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, now that people have ranted about Pelagos' part of the story, lets see what Kleia is saying (taken from the same wowhead page):

Pelagos, what do you mean?
    What! No!
    But your soul! You do not have to do this.
    I do not want to let you go
    Looks to me that Pelagos will not really be the new Arbiter, but that his anima will power up the new Arbiter. It will be an act of self-sacrifice. It makes perfect sense that the Kyrian Pelagos, who kept failing at getting ascended, sacrifices himself for the good of the Shadowlands. I mean, it's the quintessential kyrian thing to do.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Okay, now that people have ranted about Pelagos' part of the story, lets see what Kleia is saying (taken from the same wowhead page):

Looks to me that Pelagos will not really be the new Arbiter, but that his anima will power up the new Arbiter. It will be an act of self-sacrifice. It makes perfect sense that the Kyrian Pelagos, who kept failing at getting ascended, sacrifices himself for the good of the Shadowlands. I mean, it's the quintessential kyrian thing to do.
    See that makes more sense. I mean the Arbiter is basically a celestial toaster...

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Pelagos

According to the wiki he was in a grand total of...two quests.

And the dialogue is easily missed since you only see it if you're a Kyrian and you can't find him again after the two quests are done, literally anywhere in Bastion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

You sure talked a lot about this character without directly mentioning his gender.

Its likely you wouldn't know anything about it if the clickbait articles didn't blow up about it.

So it seems more like his most prominent feature is how inept he is during your time with him in the Bastion storyline.

The fact that we're not even allowed to discuss the most prominent aspect of this character should say enough on the matter
    For a character that's supposedly a meaningless nobody, they certainly got a lot of fanfare when they were created and when they were datamined to become the new god of WoW's afterlife. Everyone knows why this character was chosen to be Arbiter, and most anyone who approves of this decision only cares because of this character's defining trait, not because it's a good story.

Who's Pelagos?

Also, The Jailer should have been Arthas, damnit!

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    For a character that's supposedly a meaningless nobody, they certainly got a lot of fanfare when they were created and when they were datamined to become the new god of WoW's afterlife. Everyone knows why this character was chosen to be Arbiter, and most anyone who approves of this decision only cares because of this character's defining trait, not because it's a good story.
    I maintain that the best part is that even said infraction-inducing demographic is assmad about the decision because it affirms Pelagos to be a woman.

@Frontenac

If we cook Pelagos to power the Arbiter that'd make this plot more palatable. I might even forgive Blizzard for considering it a good idea to have Path of Ascension give me a slim blue twink in a toga with a toothpick and the enemy a giant armored angel with a twelve foot pike and telling me that the reward is in beating those odds.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-11-27 at 08:04 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Maybe this was their plan all along. For him to be the trans-mitter of souls to the afterlife.
    Fuck me man I couldnt resist making this joke.
    That's actually hilarious. Blizzard loves "It was HIM/HER (them?) all along!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    How can Sylvanas become Arbiter when she must stand trial in Pandaria?
    I would love if they did that. It would be a storm of apocalyptic proportion. Plot is so nonsensical that the writers should just go full r'tardo.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    would've been great and interesting if the arbiter were more involved in the story, and if [spoiler] were important outside of the Kyrian story.
    One could argue the Arbiter has a central role, since he is the one trying to tear everything down, since the toaster that replaced him was illegitimate and just a part of him from the get go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    [SPOILERS HEAVY]

...because I personally think that's lame.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/new-arb...poilers-324986

Pelagos is just one of the meaningless characters in the Shadowlands. Personally I'd rather even see Sylvanas or Tyrande doing that. Damn, even Arthas would have been a much more meaningful option.

Funny quote from the comments:

It's an analogy to the S8 GoT ending, which was pretty stupid also.
    It's better than the vomit idea of having Sylvanas become the Arbiter that some had.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Am I the only one who thinks Pelagos as Arbiter is perfect?

A meaningless filler character for a meaningless filler role in a meaningless filler expansion.

Seems like a perfect fit to me.

The choice is a massive letdown, but at least they didn't pick Sylvanas for the job.

5+ Year Old Account

Turning this Pelagos boi into a glorified battery would probably be the best outcome. Because the apparent alternative is just... WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Meaningless character become meaningless arbiter of meaningless shadowlands.
    basically. lol
    change can't wait.

throwaway character for a throwaway story in a throwaway expansion.
    all being swept under the rug, instead of in the trash can where it belongs.

also who the f is pelagos?
    i had to open up the pedia to even recall which of the blue smurfs that one is.
    as a writer if u want to sacrifice a character of mediocre value at least pick one that was memorable for something.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroPup View Post
    I'm pretty sure at this point we aren't going to know what shut down the Arbiter. Like so many plot points from Blizz it's just a thing that happened and best not to question or think about it too much.
    Wasn't it confirmed somewhere that it was Argus' soul, and that was the Nathrezim's plan all along with the Burning Legion? Or was that just fanmade speculation? I cannot remember...
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I would agree with all of this, if not for one thing. Pelagos had almost no exposition. If they planned him to take that role then he would have been presented more and would have been a major NPC. The fact that he has been chosen looks more like an emergency turn. And even then that's strange, because I can think of numerous bigger NPCs, who could have been used for that role:
    - Uther
    - Primus
    - Old arbiter reactivated
    - Elune, Ysera. Even Ursoc making a return
    - every covenant leader separately
    - covenant leaders merging into a new arbiter
    - the naaru from Revendreth (I even don't remember its name, but still a bigger guy than Pelagos)
    I agree any of the above choices would be pushing and would require some mental / lore gymnastics, but not any bigger than Pelagos. Which begs the question - why was Pelagos, of all of those characters, chosen.
    Primus is the leader of maldraxdus he can't be the arbiter
    Old arbiter is fucking dead they need a new soul
    Ursoc is fucking dead do you even know the god danmed lore my dude? You sit here crying about the lore but don't even know the arbiter and ursoc are both gone, forever.
    Elune the arbiter... You serious? And ysera? She ain't dead. She's gunna come back to azeroth with us...
    Again the covenant leaders have their own things, they can't be the arbiter.
    Lol the naaru? They ain't even from the shadowlands. They were stolen, their first thing is gunna be going back home. They would not be a good arbiter because they are bias to the light.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah idk why people think sacrificing an important lore character to literally be an emotionless machine is "better" then sacrificing someone who has tried and failed at everything for Millenia, finally feeling like they have something they can accomplish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Pelagos

According to the wiki he was in a grand total of...two quests.

And the dialogue is easily missed since you only see it if you're a Kyrian and you can't find him again after the two quests are done, literally anywhere in Bastion.
    He has 2 quests he gives you directly. But he comes with you and takes part in MANY others... Using how many quests he personally gives you as a mark of how important he is. Kinda fucking pathetic.

Hey guys the Lich King arthas only handed out 3 quests. Guess he's pretty fucking pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Who's Pelagos?

Also, The Jailer should have been Arthas, damnit!
    Except arthas has only been dead a couple years. So that would have been pretty fucking lame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Wasn't it confirmed somewhere that it was Argus' soul, and that was the Nathrezim's plan all along with the Burning Legion? Or was that just fanmade speculation? I cannot remember...
    Fan speculation. Currently it is known to have been denathrius. He shot a big ol' blast of anima to shut down the arbiter. As he was blamed for the drought. But if that means he shot her down, or if he just boarded anima we are not 100%
    If anything we will likely hear in 9.2 what that was if not denathrius hitting her on purpose.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2021-11-30 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content