Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
... LastLast
  1. #281
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    All this wall of text to come to the same conclusion. Boosting decreases the value of those things.
    If you can't even correctly comprehend a basic argument which someone took the effort to structure in a clear, logical and concise structure, it's no wonder you make such silly arguments to start out with.

    And I shudder to think about your ability to tackle anything if you're struggling to get through my "wall of text".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Blizzard likes to talk about prestige within the game. It's mostly BS. Prestige is overrated and has little value unless one is streaming to a YouTube audience. There are a lot of reasons for this. The main one is that no one outside of a very small circle of friends or not-quite-strangers knows much about other player accomplishments and they care even less. Most characters are 100% anonymous and 'prestige' doesn't apply. It's a hit to the ego for a lot of people but it's true. The days of standing around a city and gawking at players' raid gear and mostly over and have been for years. Hero worship among players is not a thing unless one has a popular YouTube channel.
    Oh I totally agree. However there are some people resident here on MMO-C who seem to think it's important, so that is why I addressed it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    To me the best reward is the self-knowledge that X or Y was accomplished in a fair way (which is why I don't participate in the boost economy at all). Most people apparently don't care much about that either. I think that's OK. Everyone is entitled to value what they get from the game in their own way.
    Again, totally agree. If anything, simply knowing that many other players need to rely on a boost to get through things I managed to achieve on my own merits only makes me feel better about those accomplishments.

  2. #282
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,737
    To all of those who claim that boosting is a very tiny percentage, let me ask you one thing:

    Do you think the boosting spam in trade chat means that there's more boosters, more demand for boosting, both, or neither?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I can't think of a single valuable thing his videos which explore engagement in SL via Blizzard's APIs have brought to the discussion table. The game is in a bad spot. I know it. You know it. Everybody playing SL right now knows it. We don't need a new video every other week to confirm it. If he cared about the state of the game more than clicks he wouldn't keep making the same fucking video.


    This video is probably one of the better ones. As I said, you just haven't been watching enough of them. That and the ones you do miss, you seem to hyper focus on only the negatives and the positives simply go over your head.

    Even a fraction of the changes in the video above would make the game better.

    But I'm getting to the point personally where I'm so jaded that I do not foresee Blizzard improving WoW any longer. It seems their business model is honing in strictly on the whales and the hardcore players that service the whales. WoW subscriber numbers are down the shitter, engagement in WoW is down, but profits are up??? How does that happen? An increase in store sales or an increase in token sales, or both. As far as I'm concerned, Blizzard are going to continue to follow the money.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-11-24 at 05:11 PM.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    It's really no better than mobile games these days, pay-up to be able to compete, how low the mighty have fallen, greed knows no bounds...
    I have not played any mobile games so cannot really compare. But with boosting, you need others people who have already cleared the content and are sufficient enough in their ability that they can carry one passenger and not be affected by it.

    So the idea of pay-up to be able to compete doesn't have the same ring to it. In reality, the team is being handicapped. So can one really say the "passenger" is really able to compete in such a scenario?

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    To all of those who claim that boosting is a very tiny percentage, let me ask you one thing:

    Do you think the boosting spam in trade chat means that there's more boosters, more demand for boosting, both, or neither?

    - - - Updated - - -





    This video is probably one of the better ones. As I said, you just haven't been watching enough of them. That and the ones you do miss, you seem to hyper focus on only the negatives and the positives simply go over your head.
    Scripe? You mean this guy?



    Wow!

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post

    But I'm getting to the point personally where I'm so jaded that I do not foresee Blizzard improving WoW any longer.
    This is just really funny spam linking negative videos and then being shocked that "you are so jaded now."

    Anyway, I don't doubt stats for the API or make any denials that the game is in a bad state, definitely the worst since WoD. The new patch helped fix quite a bit, but it's obviously too little too late and it's going to take an expansion to turn the ship around for a lot of players.

    But like, it is possible to hold this position (and even think Blizzard is a floundering mess) and also think that Bellular in particular is basically WoW Tucker Carlson, using the same basic tactics and the same ominous background music because this is what drives algorithmic engagement in our society.

    If you're going to be cynical about Blizzard and WoW (which you should), you also need to be cynical about content creators who profit from Blizzard's destruction. He is not a shining pillar speaking "the harsh truths," he's a dude trying to make money off a disillusioned fan base.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

  6. #286
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Scripe? You mean this guy?

    Wow!
    Are his ideas less valid because he bought gold?

    No?

    Didn't think so.

    As I said, you never contribute anything of value to the conversation. You are continuously just looking for "GOTCHA" moments rather than actually trying to contribute to the conversation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    This is just really funny spam linking negative videos and then being shocked that "you are so jaded now."

    Anyway, I don't doubt stats for the API or make any denials that the game is in a bad state, definitely the worst since WoD. The new patch helped fix quite a bit, but it's obviously too little too late and it's going to take an expansion to turn the ship around for a lot of players.

    But like, it is possible to hold this position (and even think Blizzard is a floundering mess) and also think that Bellular in particular is basically WoW Tucker Carlson, using the same basic tactics and the same ominous background music because this is what drives algorithmic engagement in our society.

    If you're going to be cynical about Blizzard and WoW (which you should), you also need to be cynical about content creators who profit from Blizzard's destruction. He is not a shining pillar speaking "the harsh truths," he's a dude trying to make money off a disillusioned fan base.
    I have no illusions about his money making methods. It seems everyone here is just waving off his opinions because of those money making methods. Can you guys for once in your life address the content rather than just shitting on it before even watching it because "LULZ BELLULAR JUZT A WOW HATOR"
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-11-24 at 05:58 PM.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Did you reply to the wrong person or something?
    I don't care how or why they could solve boosting, because its the playerbase causing the issues.

    Stop encouraging mediocre players to buy their way to success, and mediocre players get better and achieve success yourself.

    That is why boosting exists in the first place, and it shouldn't. Its a video game that is all about progression. Stop paying to rob yourself of it.
    Some players don't like the progression part. Are you saying they should be forced to like it?

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Are his ideas less valid because he bought gold?

    No?

    Didn't think so.

    As I said, you never contribute anything of value to the conversation. You are continuously just looking for "GOTCHA" moments rather than actually trying to contribute to the conversation.
    Gee, I don't know man. Maybe a guy who is emblematic of all of the issues boosting causes in this game isn't the best person to listen to for advice about how to ::checks thread topic:: fix the problem of boosting. What's his novel solution? "Remove the token." Big brained stuff there. He's biased as fuck and trying to use his position as a WF raid leader to pretend like his ideas matter more than anybody else's. They don't.

  9. #289
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Gee, I don't know man. Maybe a guy who is emblematic of all of the issues boosting causes in this game isn't the best person to listen to for advice about how to ::checks thread topic:: fix the problem of boosting. What's his novel solution? "Remove the token." Big brained stuff there. He's biased as fuck and trying to use his position as a WF raid leader to pretend like his ideas matter more than anybody else's. They don't.
    This is why these forums are generally useless. Especially your posts. Rather than engaging in the topic, you just try to find excuses to dismiss everyone else as a bias hater. That's the problem. There's no discussion, just a bunch of screaming of "YOU'RE A HATER, HE'S A HATER".

    The ideas he presents have genuine merit. And you haven't even denied or addressed them, just immediately took a giant steaming dump on the board stamped with "HE'S BIAS". And not even "he's bias because he plays another game or anything".

    "He's bias because he's a world first raider."

    That makes zero sense. It makes negative sense.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  10. #290
    The Patient Chakah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In my Garrison
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    First off, there is zero evidence indicating what percentage of boosting is paid for by token gold.
    This is very true as some RMT sites do a gold 'loan' to hide amongst the gold-only boosters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Tokens may give some players the ability to buy boosts, but they aren't what drive the practice. As long as you have people wanting to be boosted and people wanting to boost, there will be boosting. This is part and parcel of being an MMO.

    Tokens are simply a convenient scapegoat in a typical anti-Blizzard narrative, but they really do contribute very little to this alleged "problem" (if you can even call it that) of boosting.
    The desire might always be there, but ease of access is the issue.
    It's a combination of a loose bot policy and the safety of Blizzard's own RMT tokens that have facilitated the boosting plague.

    Boosting used to happen in the form of RMT GDKP runs - a risky proposition that required bots/gold farmers and RMT before the token was a thing.
    Now that it's 'safe' to buy a boost, more people engage in it.

    Why is that a problem? Boosting hurts guilds. Maybe not the top guilds or casual guilds, but guilds in the middle of the pack. Why struggle to clear raids with other people of differing skill levels and commitment when for a simple swipe, you can have a 'professional' escort and have loot handed to you?
    I think a sizable portion of the 'roster-boss' issue is people getting frustrated with progression and resorting to buying a quick AOTC.
    Is that a bad thing? I'd think so. I can't imagine people buying a AOTC boost breaking out in discord nerd screams.
    Something of value has been lost.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    This is why these forums are generally useless. Especially your posts. Rather than engaging in the topic, you just try to find excuses to dismiss everyone else as a bias hater. That's the problem. There's no discussion, just a bunch of screaming of "YOU'RE A HATER, HE'S A HATER".

    The ideas he presents have genuine merit. And you haven't even denied or addressed them, just immediately took a giant steaming dump on the board stamped with "HE'S BIAS". And not even "he's bias because he plays another game or anything".

    "He's bias because he's a world first raider."

    That makes zero sense. It makes negative sense.
    He didn't introduce anything new to the discussion. Am I supposed to give you a minute-by-minute breakdown of everything I find wrong with his ideas simply because you posted a video? The guy's big solution for fixing boosting is to remove the token. Please refer back to any of the hundreds of posts I've made where I explain why this isn't a good idea.

  12. #292
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    This is very true as some RMT sites do a gold 'loan' to hide amongst the gold-only boosters.

    The desire might always be there, but ease of access is the issue.
    It's a combination of a loose bot policy and the safety of Blizzard's own RMT tokens that have facilitated the boosting plague.

    Boosting used to happen in the form of RMT GDKP runs - a risky proposition that required bots/gold farmers and RMT before the token was a thing.
    Now that it's 'safe' to buy a boost, more people engage in it.

    Why is that a problem? Boosting hurts guilds. Maybe not the top guilds or casual guilds, but guilds in the middle of the pack. Why struggle to clear raids with other people of differing skill levels and commitment when for a simple swipe, you can have a 'professional' escort and have loot handed to you?
    I think a sizable portion of the 'roster-boss' issue is people getting frustrated with progression and resorting to buying a quick AOTC.
    Is that a bad thing? I'd think so. I can't imagine people buying a AOTC boost breaking out in discord nerd screams.
    Something of value has been lost.
    Pretty much all this. There's a huge reason that "middle of the pack" normal raiders have taken the largest dip in participation from 9.0 to 9.1, more than mythic. At least according to Blizzard's own official API.

    Oh but those numbers are fake because it's a Bellular video and Bellular MAKES HIS MONEY FROM YOUTUBE.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  13. #293
    Dreadlord Femininity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Woman in a Man's World
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Oh but those numbers are fake because it's a Bellular video and Bellular MAKES HIS MONEY FROM YOUTUBE.
    You've got to remember that statistics have no basis in reality if people don't agree with who they come from.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Hyperion - Primal NA - Lone Hero

  14. #294
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    He didn't introduce anything new to the discussion. Am I supposed to give you a minute-by-minute breakdown of everything I find wrong with his ideas simply because you posted a video? The guy's big solution for fixing boosting is to remove the token. Please refer back to any of the hundreds of posts I've made where I explain why this isn't a good idea.
    I mean your argument against policing and TOS boosting basically introduced the only negative being "Well it won't COMPLETELY stop boosting so why bother?" and hinged that as the entire negative reason as to why it shouldn't be against TOS or policed.

    I don't often frequent these general forums, the last couple of weeks have been an exception, so I haven't seen any of your stances on pretty much all of these subjects, and the first 10 pages are almost purely "GOTCHA" or "YOU A HATER" style posts. Probably all the more reason to just put you on ignore then, if you admit you're not here to contribute constructively?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Femininity View Post
    You've got to remember that statistics have no basis in reality if people don't agree with who they come from.
    Well I mean, the numbers came FROM Blizzard's own API. Bellular just put them into easily digestible graphic format. But you're right. Numbers are fake if people don't like the messenger.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by MKGulantik View Post
    If you can circumvent the gameplay and get the raid kills and KSM and all that jazz with real money, then that's p2w.

    I don't care if you can ALSO elect to go down the route of earning it normally - being able to circumvent that at all with a payment card makes the game p2w. The sooner you realize this, the better it'll be when you realize none of your achievements have any meaning even in the context of the game.
    If it is P2W which I agree that it is, then getting the achievements without using the P2W system means it is MORE of an achievement then if P2W didn't exist. It shows that you can achieve in the game despite competing against others who, in some people's eyes, cheat.

    To answer your question without your hysteria, Blizzard allows boosting because it is profitable for them. The secondary effects are just secondary. As someone who doesn't buy tokens I don't care about the security side of the tokens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  16. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Oh but those numbers are fake because it's a Bellular video and Bellular MAKES HIS MONEY FROM YOUTUBE.
    You know, it's kind of annoying to have you constantly tell me that my posts are pointless then have you post shit like this right afterward. Nobody (at least not myself or anybody I've seen agreeing with my position) is arguing that Bellular's information is incorrect or wrong. The main criticism I have is that the guy clearly stands to profit from a particular brand of negative PR painted by these numbers. His arguments aren't operating from a position of good faith so I have very little reason to believe the voracity of his claims of wanting the game to be better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Pretty much all this. There's a huge reason that "middle of the pack" normal raiders have taken the largest dip in participation from 9.0 to 9.1, more than mythic. At least according to Blizzard's own official API.
    To wit, you're making a huge leap in logic here. It seems incredibly myopic to correlate the lack of participation in mid-tier levels with solely the prevalence of boosting. There are so many other factors which could be at play that it seems very self-serving to look at one single possibility then make a near-certain statement of fact like that.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2021-11-24 at 08:05 PM.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    Why is that a problem? Boosting hurts guilds. Maybe not the top guilds or casual guilds, but guilds in the middle of the pack. Why struggle to clear raids with other people of differing skill levels and commitment when for a simple swipe, you can have a 'professional' escort and have loot handed to you?
    I think a sizable portion of the 'roster-boss' issue is people getting frustrated with progression and resorting to buying a quick AOTC.
    Is that a bad thing? I'd think so. I can't imagine people buying a AOTC boost breaking out in discord nerd screams.
    Something of value has been lost.
    Boosting has always been a thing, not only in WoW, but in all multi-player games, so this is nothing new. And both boosting for money and in-game "gold", other goods and services has always been a thing in WoW and all other multi-player games.
    Whether the ability to openly and "legally" for players to exchange money for gold and vice versa has made boosting more common and/or it has become more visible is a good question.

    If some people, people that I find sad and pathetic, want to buy their way to some achievement, that better players have done themselves without help many months before, then let them knock themselves out.
    There is no way whatsoever that you will stop them.

    I personally don't care one bit as I get as far as I can with people who have a similar mind-set as I do.
    Neither I and those I play with would ever buy a boost. We have to much self-respect for that.
    And it is very easy to spot if someone got a boost or not, especially when you are talking about M+.

    The only way to "combat" boosting would be to go after those that want to be boosted. They are the ones who create the market for it.
    Instead of blaming Blizzard or the boosters people should start shaming, naming, excluding and guild-kicking people who buy boosts.

    All this "outrage" about boosting would be much less if boosting wasn't so public as it is right now.

  18. #298
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,737
    Anyone watch Preach's Drama Time videos?

    A lot of stories have different drama reasons for why normal raiding guilds breaks up, but I've noticed that "Several of our raiders began doing GDKP runs and boosts for gear" once the initial small drama starts, leave, and their leaving creates roster problems that the drama ultimately exacerbates into a disband. It almost feels like a constant to every story now.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by gleepot View Post
    I got banned for paying for boosting.
    No you didn't.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by User517849 View Post
    But you can't circumvent all of it. You still have to have guilds that are willing to do it for gold, etc.

    Even if you removed the WoW token, more RL money still buys you a lot of benefits in game. You can have multiple accounts, farm nodes with multiple characters, have multiples of each profession, etc.

    I just don't agree that the WoW token = P2W, especially since someone getting boosted is getting boosted by other actual players.

    Actual P2W means that Blizzard would have a Sanctum of Domination cash shop and charge you $50 for a loot box for each boss that you could buy once per week. That doesn't exist.
    Wrong.

    Using real money to purchase in-game currency is the definition of P2W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  20. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    I mean your argument against policing and TOS boosting basically introduced the only negative being "Well it won't COMPLETELY stop boosting so why bother?" and hinged that as the entire negative reason as to why it shouldn't be against TOS or policed.

    I don't often frequent these general forums, the last couple of weeks have been an exception, so I haven't seen any of your stances on pretty much all of these subjects, and the first 10 pages are almost purely "GOTCHA" or "YOU A HATER" style posts. Probably all the more reason to just put you on ignore then, if you admit you're not here to contribute constructively?
    I've told you repeatedly to do exactly this. You don't need to publicly deliberate whether you see value you in my posts. I promise you I do not care.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •