Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    No it literally doesn't. The moment irl money is introduced into a game's economy it is all fkd up and displaced and corrupted. Your point is how fkd up it would or would not be, depending on where the gold came from, while trying to ignore the fact that it's all corrupted regardless lmao.

And yeah tokens do stimulate the economy. With and because of irl money. That's why it's no longer has integrity...
    How though?`It is just switching gold form one player to another. Nothing gets created or destroyed. Otherwise the token seller would have to farm himself which would water down the market even more. Stuff is worth nothing as it is. And even less if more people start to farm.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    How though?`It is just switching gold form one player to another. Nothing gets created or destroyed. Otherwise the token seller would have to farm himself which would water down the market even more. Stuff is worth nothing as it is. And even less if more people start to farm.
    Tokens stimulate the WoW economy in much the same way as government stimulus packages do. And much like real life stimulus packages, as long as the amount of gold trading hands does not become excessive, it can very beneficial. Fortunately, given the way the tokens work, the amount of gold being traded by tokens will always remain sufficiently small.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Tokens stimulate the WoW economy in much the same way as government stimulus packages do. And much like real life stimulus packages, as long as the amount of gold trading hands does not become excessive, it can very beneficial. Fortunately, given the way the tokens work, the amount of gold being traded by tokens will always remain sufficiently small.
    Good luck explaining that to the people who's entire argument is "I see advertising for boosting which must mean everybody is buying tokens to boost."

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    It is quite easy to spot people that have been boosted in M+:
    If a person just has one 15+ dungeon completed of each dungeon then it is probably a boost.
    'If selfsame person has done none or almost none dungeons in the 10-14 bracket as well then it is just confirmation of the above.

If you keep getting groups where people are "boosted" or "bad" then you should work on your raider.io-reading-skills and people picking skills.

- - - Updated - - -

People like you aren't the problem. The problem is that there are people that want stuff that they are unable to achieve themselves and are willing to pay for it.
    And all the self-righteous "boost haters" in this thread are going after skilful people like you instead of going after the pathetic losers that are buying boosts.

The only realistic way to "combat this" is to go ruthlessly after the buyers: Name them, shame them, ostracize them.
    As long as there is a demand skilful and ingenious people will supply that demand.
    Combatting skilful and ingenious people is much harder than going after stupid losers.
    It makes me wonder if there is some deep underlying psychological reason why the "boost haters" completely ignore the buyers...
    In S1 i usually joined others’ groups and sometimes we got boosted people in. But it was probably more annoying to check because you had to alt tab and go to rio website now that’s in game it’s probably easier (no idea, completely skipped S2 so far).

Of course boosts still exist because of buyers but there’s really no solution to this apart from render them useless somehow.

You want something in wow today? No need to work for anything just buy it with irl money.
    There hasn't been a time WoW's existence where that wasn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    There hasn't been a time WoW's existence where that wasn't true.
    As you always seem to skip, people have told you they are not saying it wasn’t a problem before, just it’s drastically worse now. What is so hard to understand?

It’s never been this bad, and has got worse since people could just throw money at the screen, and not fear getting banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    As you always seem to skip, people have told you they are not saying it wasn’t a problem before, just it’s drastically worse now. What is so hard to understand?

It’s never been this bad, and has got worse since people could just throw money at the screen, and not fear getting banned.
    The advertisements for boosting are more prevalent but it's difficult to correlate the amount of boosting today versus the times before the token existed. I did plenty of boost runs throughout Cata and MoP. But back then there was just as big of an issue with gold spamming (especially on high pop realms) as there is with boosting advertisements today. At best, I see people making the argument that they'd rather see gold seller spam than boosting spam and at that point why are we having an argument? The root cause of the issue is that people want to buy these boosts and since it's incredibly unlikely Blizzard will do anything to address that it seems like a whole lot of noise about a problem that isn't nearly as bad as forum denizens pretend it is.

The best way to combat the boosting spam and such is just to make a dedicated boosting channel / boosting section of the group finder. any boosting spam/ads outside of those equals suspension then ban. Those that want to sell or get boosted can look, and those that want to play can just play
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    The best way to combat the boosting spam and such is just to make a dedicated boosting channel / boosting section of the group finder. any boosting spam/ads outside of those equals suspension then ban. Those that want to sell or get boosted can look, and those that want to play can just play
    I have yet to understand if the problem is the constant spamming or the boost concept itself or else.

I never cared about ads for example, for me it’s annoying because there are chances that a boosted can run my runs.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post

As has often been said, but it seems you've conveniently ignored: This is classic Correlation vs Causation fallacy.

The demand for boosting has been driven by the changing types of content. Challenge mode dungeons which were replaced by M+, Flexible raiding and lockouts, these are significant factors that made boosting both desirable and feasible.

And I really don't think that tokens account for a significant portion of the boosting that happens. Remember, this gold wasn't introduced into the game by tokens, it is simply moving a small amount of it around. Furthermore, the amount of gold that is practically obtainable via token is small compared to what some people are able to acquire in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Anyone with half a brain cell knew this would come to pass when they brought the token to the game. Why would Blizzard stop something making them a lot of their current WoW revenue at this point?
    Anyone with a half a brain cell knew this was the case even before tokens were a thing.

Accessibility was wildly different and it was against TOS not to mention
    I don't know what you mean by wildly different accessibility. Are you implying that it was harder to find a boost? Because I promise you we never had any shortage of buyers. My guild raided at 2:30 AM in the fucking morning, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Boosting has grown recently, and most people are just sick with the game.
    More likely sick with the constant ad spamming.

You've got a relatively small group of people who are fans of boosting, a small group who are rabidly anti-boosting, and the middle group which doesn't care one way or the other but really wants to see Blizzard do something about the channel spam which is annoying and makes the chat channels useless.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-12-01 at 05:36 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Honestly really surprised more people haven't brought up the implications of boosting comparing PvE vs PvP which I think are enormous. Boosts made the pvp game almost unplayable for a huge amount of season 1. That makes way more of an impact on other players than some random spending $800 to kill mythic sylvanas.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No you misunderstand I used to sell carries as well I know people sold/bought before, but it was nowhere NEAR as prevelant as todays has.

Back then it was a niche thing that not many participated or partook in (relatively speaking) vs now where all servers trade chats are filled with only carries and boosts. Back when I sold (mop and wotlk) I was mostly the only one spamming for such services ( and I really no lifed this game back then), but now it's all you ever see in trade chat are the boosters spamming.

The token isn't the only contributor for this sure, bit it sure as hell is a LARGE reason why the shift in the community took place to todays 'age'
    The token it self likely isn’t the main reasons but more so the change from just wow time to blizzard balance and them adding activison games to battle.net.

Through out Wod and legion there was way less spam then there is post those changes.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Hell even the head guy sells boosts, which are paid for irl money the majority of the time. You want something in wow today? No need to work for anything just buy it with irl money. But nah that's not a problem
    It's funny how when it comes to boosting people suddenly forget you can make money in the game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I don't even think Blizz makes much money of people buying tokens to buy boosts... it is just way to expensive to pay one Mythic clear run.
    The anti-booster logic is this: Boosts are expensive for most players. Tokens can cover those expenses. There is a constant stream of spammy boosting ads in chat channels in-game. Therefore: Everyone is buying tokens and boosting is out of control.

I don't know the numbers but I doubt that that last step is true. But it's the only conclusion you can come to if the agenda reads "Boosting is killing the game."

As I said a few posts ago, I doubt that all that many people have an opinion about boosting per se but would be happy if the spam stopped. If it did I imagine this topic would also die away in a short amount of time. People are reacting to what they see and coming to not-quite-logical conclusions about everything they can't see. In any case, boosting isn't against the rules.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Boosting shouldn't be bannable. It's a way for players of a high level to make a lot of gold, fast.

You're not going to find any high end player agreeing with this, because you'd be destroying their main source of gold income.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MKGulantik View Post
    In classic, do better about botters, multiboxers and the like.
    Do better how? My simple solution is to ban people playing on an European server outside of EU, but then the 5% who are playing from Asia while on vacation and the other 95% who are Chinese bots start crying 'racism' on the forums.

Why make money in game when I can easily swipe a credit card and get what I want within minutes? The path of least resistance will always be the most commonly used path
    Didn't realise everyone had disposable income. Mind sharing some of yours comrade?

Most everybody that is paying for every expansion and a monthly sub does, by definition, have disposable income?
    Disposable, or budgeted? Or bought with gold converted to bnet balance.