Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boosting might be cancer, but it's Blizzard sanctioned cancer. So I don't particularly care if they do it, assuming they do it like everyone else does, and not, you know, use real money or utilize tools your average user doesn't have access to.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Four difficulty levels of raiding. It used to be two. And now you can boost pretty much every level of M+.
    well, siege of orgrimmar had 4 difficulties, brd and highmaul too, all of them before token...
    and two difficulties of raiding was last in wrath, ulduar (unles you want to count hardmode as another dificulty, then it was nax), since then we had minimum of 3

EDIT: was already mentioned by someone else so nothing new

Quote Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
    Boosting rewards people who actually play the game. There are no downsides while it allows people to pay their subs with in-game gold.

Am I going to be benched from a mythic raiding guild because of someone who bought CE the first month? Or replaced on my arena/m+ team from someone who bought high keys runs?

Competitive players don't care about someone getting boosted to AOTC or even CE. They care about improving their guild ranking, parses, arena rank, and m+ rank.

The P2W argument is silly. Just another way to pile on the irrational hate. P2W is paying for an advantage that non-payers can't reasonably obtain. Like having golden ammo which deals more damage
    PvP'ers know within 1 game if you bought a boost. Its frustrating when you get a 1600 player @2400cr signing up to your lfg and tanking your rating, then the next person comes along and does the same thing. Don't lie and say PvPers don't care, they (we) very much care and hate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
    This is an interesting opinion to have. Why do you feel its more important to speak up against people who are against boosting, but you're accepting and silent against boosting, even though you admit you don't like it? What is present in this discussion and absent within the game, that sparks your outrage against people's vocal opinion (that you share) on the topic?
    People are creating the impression that boosting is some thing that breaks Blizzard's Terms of Service and in-game Code of Conduct. It doesn't and people should stop implying that it does. It's not that interesting an opinion. I'm just a stickler for making sure that it's clear that whatever I think of it, it's fine with Blizzard. My thought about it doesn't even rise close to the level of outrage. If I'm outraged about something you'll know it.

If Ybarra and his guild want to offer boosts to people that's their business. It's not anything that's sanctionable against the rules.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-11-22 at 11:35 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Indeed. I totally agree with all of that

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People are creating the impression that boosting is some thing that breaks Blizzard's Terms of Service and in-game Code of Conduct. It doesn't and people should stop implying that it does. It's not that interesting an opinion. I'm just a stickler for making sure that it's clear that whatever I think of it, it's fine with Blizzard. My thought about it doesn't even rise close to the level of outrage. If I'm outraged about something you'll know it.

If Ybarra and his guild want to offer boosts to people that's their business. It's not anything that's sanctionable against the rules.
    If you think people are confused about the ToS then why was your last post, the one I quoted literally 5 mins ago say the opposite?:
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

This is a non-issue which I think everyone knows is perfectly within the TOS. Bitching just to be bitching is pointless.
    That aside, people are tired of boosting, whether its allowed or not. They ruin the game. We're not confused about the legality of it, we're tired of it altogether and want it banned. The OP was pointing out why they wont do this is because they're boosting themselves.

If you think people are confused about the ToS then why was your last post, the one I quoted literally 5 mins ago say the opposite?:

That aside, people are tired of boosting, whether its allowed or not. They ruin the game. We're not confused about the legality of it, we're tired of it altogether and want it banned. The OP was pointing out why they wont do this is because they're boosting themselves.
    And the only reason this thread has a discussion is because the implication that they're not banning it because they're doing it themselves is patently false. They won't do it because banning boosting is an incredibly silly thing to expect them to do. Banning boosting would just push it into the black market where it'd become even more of a problem than it is already. It certainly wouldn't decrease the amount of advertising it gets.

That aside, people are tired of boosting, whether its allowed or not. They ruin the game. We're not confused about the legality of it, we're tired of it altogether and want it banned.
    While I'm certain there are people like that, the ACTUAL question is: HOW MANY. Someone will always be upset over something, but where decision-making as to the direction of the game is concerned it does tend to matter what the actual proportion of people who are unhappy looks like. And that's very, very difficult to assess for the average player because of so many data biases - looking at forums, for example, will massively overrepresent unhappy people because people for whom all is fine and dandy rarely open threads along the lines of "everything is fine, nothing to report, just wanted to let you know".

Pretty much everyone lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    While I'm certain there are people like that, the ACTUAL question is: HOW MANY. Someone will always be upset over something, but where decision-making as to the direction of the game is concerned it does tend to matter what the actual proportion of people who are unhappy looks like. And that's very, very difficult to assess for the average player because of so many data biases - looking at forums, for example, will massively overrepresent unhappy people because people for whom all is fine and dandy rarely open threads along the lines of "everything is fine, nothing to report, just wanted to let you know".
    It happens enough to make people quit playing the game. Like I said, anyone who PvPs at high levels instantly knows when someone they're playing with was boosted. Its very common.

And the only reason this thread has a discussion is because the implication that they're not banning it because they're doing it themselves is patently false.
    You need to stop blindly running into arguments and spout lies to defend Blizzard. Mike Ybarra was literally on stream advertising his boost run. He didn't buy a boost, he sold one, as the president of WoW.

You need to stop blindly running into arguments and spout lies to defend Blizzard. Mike Ybarra was literally on stream advertising his boost run. He didn't buy a boost, he sold one, as the president of WoW.
    ...you misinterpreted me but at this point I don't even mind.

Who even cares anymore. If Jim McDad who has 4 kids and 3 hours a week to play wants to spend some of his wage on a raid boost so he can actually play the game instead of spending 100% of his free time playing catch up and subsequently quitting then good for him. It affects me in absolutely no way whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by MKGulantik View Post
    Retail boosting just encourages the purchasing of wow tokens - noone is buying boosts with gold they've earned lmao.
    Classic boosting just encourages RMT.

Both are bad for the game.
    I don't see how boosting is bad for the game.

As for tokens in exchange for gold, not sure. I am on the fence. At least it is not injecting new gold into the game. It is just redistributing it.

It happens enough to make people quit playing the game.
    Again, that's not in question - but HOW MANY people quit for THAT REASON? People quit for all sorts of reasons. I quit. And it wasn't because of boosting, even though it happened around the time that complaints about boosting were very noticeable. That's sort of the problem here, finding out how big of an issue it ACTUALLY is for people, rather than just going I see people complain about boosting + I see player numbers drop = people are quitting because of boosting. It's not as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by MKGulantik View Post
    First Mike Ybarra gloats about raid boosting in retail, and now lead WoW Classic dev Brian Birmingham admits to doing GDKP runs with his guild and enjoying it.

We are all aware that Blizzard profits from boosting via wow tokens, but it genuinely never occurred to me that key figures in Blizzard were actually just...also boosters. I wonder if any of them engage in RMT on the sly?

(I can't post the source because I haven't posted much - but its in an interview posted on Wowhead.)
    Yeah, so what? Almost everyone in the endgame does this. What else can I do with my fully geared chars in TBC? Do raids and disenchant everything?
    What else would I do in retail? Content is clear for months, there is nothing else to do. And OH JESUS a few blizz employees are doint it too...its all a huge conspiracy.
    The problem isnt boosting, the problem is that both games are so shitty that there literally is nothing else to do for a lot of people. Also, in ANY game that uses a trading system and a virtual currency players will find ways to make bank. If the game is around for over 15 years they will find a LOT of ways.

...you misinterpreted me but at this point I don't even mind.
    I sure did, so lets back up. Can you please explain your opinion on why the president of the company would be promoting this service on stream? Hes not an every day streamer, so he purposely chose to stream the carry and make sure we knew he was doing it. Nobody would've known he was boosting anyone if he hadn't put it in the title. The intent, from my PoV, is clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one cares about boosting. The only people that do are sensitive individuals who'll get pissy over almost anything and chronically nag about everything in life. The people who buy boosts are the same people who refuse to do group content so it really doesn't matter what they do because they'll continue to do solo content outside of boosts. In the case of PvP, if you're losing a 2v1 constantly because 1 person on the other team is a highly skilled player, take advantage of the situation. Learn from your mistakes and what you can do next time to beat them. If I was playing pickup basketball and Lebron walked in asking to jump in, I wouldn't say no. I would play them to the best of my ability and learn from him kicking my ass. People don't improve when life is easy, they improve when they fail from a difficult challenge and rise back up. As for boosting in PvE, you really have to be a nagging baby to care that some scrub who can't even purple parse gets 252 gear or cutting edge. They're still not going to be a better player than me, so they can have all the 252+ gear in the game, it really doesn't affect me.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I sure did, so lets back up. Can you please explain your opinion on why the president of the company would be promoting this service on stream? Hes not an every day streamer, so he purposely chose to stream the carry and make sure we knew he was doing it. Nobody would've known he was boosting anyone if he hadn't put it in the title. The intent, from my PoV, is clear.
    ...to stream his raid as he had done dozens of times before that? That tweet was literally just the dude speaking as a player saying, "hey this is what I'm doing tonight." Prior to that tweet going viral, Ybarra had spoken, openly, numerous times on his stream about his guild doing sales runs so I'm sure it came as a surprise to him that such an innocuous Tweet (from his PoV as a player) became the building block for so much ire in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Again, that's not in question - but HOW MANY people quit for THAT REASON? People quit for all sorts of reasons. I quit. And it wasn't because of boosting, even though it happened around the time that complaints about boosting were very noticeable. That's sort of the problem here, finding out how big of an issue it ACTUALLY is for people, rather than just going I see people complain about boosting + I see player numbers drop = people are quitting because of boosting. It's not as simple as that.
    Why does the number matter? I don't think you've done any boosting to see the effects it has on people and then how those people affect other people. Or maybe you don't even PvP so you don't understand the morale dampener of constantly qing into boosts. Its not just the act of boosting that I'm personally against, its everything that comes with it, which is alot and none of it is good. Its too much to explain to someone who is hung up on the trivial details you're asking about.

- - - Updated - - -

...to stream his raid as he had done dozens of times before that? That tweet was literally just the dude speaking as a player saying, "hey this is what I'm doing tonight." Prior to that tweet going viral, Ybarra had spoken, openly, numerous times on his stream about his guild doing sales runs so I'm sure it came as a surprise to him that such an innocuous Tweet (from his PoV as a player) became the building block for so much ire in the community.
    Does he have another twitch channel that he streams from because you said he streamed dozens of times before, but I'm on his twitch page
    and I'm only seeing 9 vods there, which isn't even a dozen, let alone plural. Also he has over 25k tweets, but only 1 to advertise a boost as far as I'm aware, can you link others to back up what you're saying?

Does he have another twitch channel that he streams from because you said he streamed dozens of times before, but I'm on his twitch page
    and I'm only seeing 9 vods there, which isn't even a dozen, let alone plural. Also he has over 25k tweets, but only 1 to advertise a boost as far as I'm aware, can you link others to back up what you're saying?
    This might surprise you but twitch VoDs can be deleted.