Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    You have to wait for somebody to buy the token. I used four hours as an average because you cannot realistically expect people to sit around waiting to buy a new token the second the one you just put up is sold. The last time I looked at Mythic Sylv kills was when it was still in the HoF so that's probably why the example I used was off; even said, you're still waiting more than a week for the gold to come in. It's not nearly as simple as "swiping a credit card" as the reductive argument against tokens is often cited.
    So basically you're mildly inconvenienced after swiping your card before you get your boost : P
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

12.3 million for 10/10 Mythic and the mount, 6-7ish for Sylvanas + mount.

If you figure a million gold is about $100 (give or take), that's $600-700 bucks for Sylvanas and the mount.

AOTC is like <100k, about $10.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    You can stick all 20 of them on the auction house at once; They will literally not take more than a couple hours to sell.
    You literally can't buy more than a single token a time my dude. You have to wait for each one to be sold before you can buy another.

I was wrong. You can buy more than one token but you still have to wait for the token to sell.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2021-11-23 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Tokens is not the reason why people buy boost. People would do that anyway. Tokens just makes it easier in retail. People buy boosts in all classic versions too. No token there.

Taking the token away would never fix the issue.
    I'm aware it would happen regardless, nor do I believe that boosting is even inherently a bad thing. I just believe that WoW tokens have drastically boosted its popularity.

- - - Updated - - -

You literally can't buy more than a single token a time my dude. You have to wait for each one to be sold before you can buy another.
    You can buy one, stick it on the AH, then buy another and stick it on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    12.3 million for 10/10 Mythic and the mount, 6-7ish for Sylvanas + mount.

If you figure a million gold is about $100 (give or take), that's $600-700 bucks for Sylvanas and the mount.

AOTC is like <100k, about $10.
    An overwhelming majority of the people buying the big ticket boosts are using a lump sum of gold that... comes from a mysterious benefactor. (Boosting communities -- most of whom have Chinese names. Wonder why that is?)

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy one, stick it on the AH, then buy another and stick it on the AH.
    You're still waiting over a week because you're limited by the cap of 20/week.

An overwhelming majority of the people buying the big ticket boosts are using a lump sum of gold that... comes from a mysterious benefactor. (Boosting communities -- most of whom have Chinese names. Wonder why that is?)

- - - Updated - - -

You're still waiting over a week because you're limited by the cap of 20/week.
    But 20 tokens is enough to get you mythic Sylvanas including the mount.

But 20 tokens is enough to get you mythic Sylvanas including the mount.
    In NA it wouldn't be. It's still silly because if you're going to be spending that much money on the game you can just get it all in a single lump sum through a boosting community (for less cash) with enough layers of plausible deniability that nobody would ever know that you RMT'd it.

In NA it wouldn't be. It's still silly because if you're going to be spending that much money on the game you can just get it all in a single lump sum through a boosting community with enough layers of plausible deniability that nobody would ever know that you RMT'd it.
    Even If the risk to losing my account (or receiving a penalty) was 0.1% I still wouldn't use those websites and I'm sure many feel the same. I'd rather get a slightly worse deal while knowing my account is secure.

The WoW token is like insurance; How likely are you to need insurance for your car on a daily basis?
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2021-11-23 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MKGulantik View Post
    I am aware of this, but I'm saying they SHOULD control it and lower it because the majority of players are not using AH funds or whatever - they're not earning gold at all - they're just swiping.

I would love to see the numbers in an ideal world, but I'd pull a number out of my ass and happily bet my home on a good 80%+ or more boosts being bought with tokens rather than gold earned in-game.
    And what you're suggesting would just end up reinvigorating third party gold selling. The token is already a solution to a major problem, removing it or rendering it non-viable won't improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And what you're suggesting would just end up reinvigorating third party gold selling. The token is already a solution to a major problem, removing it or rendering it non-viable won't improve things.
    Yet supposedly third party gold selling is just as rampant as ever. Those that would have bought it in the past do it still for the reduced cost.

I'm not expecting or even proposing that they remove it, but I do believe it to be the source of many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Why would anyone care about boosting, so long as it isn't for real money?

Yes, you can buy in-game gold for real money, and I agree that is a problem, but I believe it should be examined separately from what people may choose to do with that gold.
    Nailed it on the second post. The core issue is the gold being purchasable for real money. Gold does hold power in WoW which is why we get threads like this complaining about boosts.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    While folks argue about the legality of these boosts. I get s huge facepalm by looking at the mentality of gamers.

Someone want stuff out of their league is just stupid.
    Thats what boosts are all about. Bunch of folks without teeth for some stuff and instead of beeing happy with what they acomplish, noooo.. they buy it. LoL losers
    People boost for a lot of different reasons. Buying Sylv or whatever is just skipping in line, sure. But people also buy stuff to get their alts going. For <500k you can get a full heroic clear and skip several weeks of monotonous gearing right off the bat. If your goal is to get a character ready for real content like 20s late in the season, boosts save a lot of time.

I do think this is a good argument why designing certain things in the game differently (especially catch-ups) would reduce boosting demand
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    I legitimately don't have an issue with boosting on its own. The issue I have is how rampant it is due to the inclusion of the WoW token; Players are essentially back and forth trading gold and WoW tokens between boosters and boostees at this point.
    The sudden explosion of threads about boosting are relatively recent comparatively. The token itself has been around for six years now. The onslaught of threads about boosting for only one or two years. I agree with others that it's the ads that are the most annoying. I'm willing to bet that if Blizzard could do something about the constant ads in chat and looking for group that most of this would go away.

Something like the token exists in most other MMO's without causing this much drama. It's a convenient thing to blame but it's really a player issue.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-11-23 at 05:52 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The sudden explosion of threads about boosting are relatively recent comparatively. The token itself has been around for six years now. The onslaught of threads about boosting for only one or two years. I agree with others that it's the ads that are the most annoying. I'm willing to bet that if Blizzard could do something about the constant ads in chat and looking for group that most of this would go away.
    Yeah, you could be right.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

Something like the token exists in most other MMO's without causing this much drama. It's a convenient thing to blame but it's really a player issue.
    Yes, boosting turned from server based to something much more corporate since 8.0. On larger servers it was common, people were selling the MoP CM mode runs since 5.0, but it's spread to a lot more servers.

I really feel like Blizzard should create a Services channel, default add everyone to the services channel, and clearly communicate that all boosting related advertising needs to be done in the Services channel. People that don't want to see it can easily leave the Services channel and as long as it's heavily enforced the problem effectively goes away.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's really no better than mobile games these days, pay-up to be able to compete, how low the mighty have fallen, greed knows no bounds...
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Instead of trying to figure out how to police boosting and having never ending discussions. Why doesn’t blizzard just make gearing easy and eliminate boosting all together.

I guarantee a bad player in full endgame gear that’s easy to get will still never get glad or slay a mythic end boss.

The rewards for the skilled and dedicated players should be blizzard store quality mounts, mogs and titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexh View Post
    Instead of trying to figure out how to police boosting and having never ending discussions. Why doesn’t blizzard just make gearing easy and eliminate boosting all together.

I guarantee a bad player in full endgame gear that’s easy to get will still never get glad or slay a mythic end boss.

The rewards for the skilled and dedicated players should be blizzard store quality mounts, mogs and titles.
    Yep, just give players full Mythic gear for logging into the game. There's absolutely no way that'll have any negative consequences whatsoever.

Example: Let players get a mythic item level loot from a quest chains. This will eliminate the ilevel elitism because literally everyone will be running around in the same item level, people won’t be denied in lfg due to I level, from the casual to the mythic raiders. Let skill really be the determining factor in player prestige. Imagine if the current store mog was the reward for mythic sylvanas? That would be awesome and turn heads in any major wow city.

Right now you can’t tell the difference between someone who earned their gear/mount/title and someone who was boosted

Quote Originally Posted by User517849 View Post
    I really feel like Blizzard should create a Services channel, default add everyone to the services channel, and clearly communicate that all boosting related advertising needs to be done in the Services channel. People that don't want to see it can easily leave the Services channel and as long as it's heavily enforced the problem effectively goes away.
    I think the issue here is that, and that's just speculation on my part, that could come across as endorsement of boosting by Blizzard.

While people generally talk about how Blizzard makes money from boosting, the flipside is that quite likely a lot of those boosting companies are neckdeep in RMT.
    After all, those boosting companies take a sizeable cut for organizing that shit and i doubt they're just doing it to play WoW for free or buy stuff on the BMAH.

The endgame is basically that people:
    -Buy Gold off some RMT site
    -Purchase a boost at some boosting community
    -boosting company sells the gold to RMT site
    -Person buys gold again to buy another boost

When you talk about millions of gold per run from a single person, that's no longer financed by the WoW Token, you save hundreds of dollars by going off to RMT websites as far as larger sums are concerned, disregarding the cap on purchasing Tokens (altough you can bypass by owning multiple accounts, afaik).
    However, don't take that as a hint that the WoW Token doesn't fuel the market, especially the lower priced Heroic and M+ are certainly heavily fueled by the WoW Token and also helped to grow to such an industrious scale.
    And it also wouldn't surprise if some whales exist that use multiple WoW accounts to partially bypass the WoW token cap.