Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Eh, they should've chosen Pong. Dark Souls is a bit too niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Well, that's certainly a take...
    Yeah, really trying to wrap my head around that one.

Yeah no, it's nowhere near "ultimate game of all time", there are plenty games that revolutionized industry and/or made much bigger impact on whole gaming community than DS.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Tbf only 3 games have that distinction

Rogue, Metroid/Symphony of the Night, and Dark Souls
    a simple WC3 map helped to launch the entire MOBA Genre. Without the original DOTA we wouldn't have LoL, Pokemon Unite, or DOTA2, or whatever else there is nowadays.

as much as I hate to admit it, PUBG and Fortnite helped launch the Battle Royale genre. I wish they'd die in a fire... but... you gotta give them theirs for really launching the genre into what it is now: Toxic Bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Amoogus has more influence than Dark Souls ever did.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

While Dark Souls Series has not seen my most time spent in games, it absolutely is my favorite series of games since they launched, just something about them that I love. Before that my top games were Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "ultimate game of all time".

If we're saying a game that near-perfectly achieves what it sets out to achieve then yes. Dark Souls is one of the few games where IMO there is very very little it could do to be better.

If we're saying the game that the most people would enjoy then the genre is way to niche to get that. But then honestly the only games that would fit that sort of critera would be games like Candy Crush haha.

Personally the Dark Souls series are among my favourite games and they are probably the only games where I wouldn't change anything I just want more. So for me, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Log Cabin View Post
    Influential game sure... before darksouls "hard" games where pretty niche for a while having fallen out of favor much like horror games were considered dead before amnesia sold well.

Gameplay wise I can't see it but I can get why it would get the award.
    Thats the funny thing though. Demon's Souls already existed. That came out on PS3 in an age where the movie-game was in full swing and videogames were so braindead and the hardest settings of games like Bioshock needed you to still go into the menus to turn off infinite respawning. It was Demon's making people go "finally someone got 3d castlevania right" that brought the concept of difficulty as a challenge back into vogue. DS1 is a great game but in every sense of the word its just an iteration not an innovation.

I started playing videogames in 1984 or so. DS is for sure in my top 10, but not even in my top 3.

Also, rating videogames of different eras is more difficult than rating books or music, because vgs are too bound on tech: you couldn’t have a DS in late 80s, no computer or console could handle that, even with a crappy graphic.

These type of awards are really “stupid” imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of dig Dark Souls. It's not, overall, the game for me... but I can appreciate its popularity and impact on the industry. I personally wouldn't go as far as to say "ultimate game of all time" but I'm just one out of however other hundreds of/thousands of/millions of people who voted otherwise.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ultimate game of all time, Super Mario Bros. It helped save the home console market which had been run into the ground and was filled with many questionable products such as Pac-Man for the 2600 and E.T. the video game.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    And yet only one of these is an actual genre, the others are sub genres. To give you an idea about how useless these sub genres are people claim Hollow Knight is both a Metroidvania and Soulsborne game depending on who you ask.

I don't really care about games taking inspiration from others and trying to call it a genre. We don't call Pokemon a "megami tensei" game because it was the first monster collecting RPG. We don't call Final Fantasy games "Dragon Quest like" games even though FF1 was inspired by DQ1. And to top it all off, we sure as fuck don't call Sonic a Mario game.

Only extreme fanboyism seems to think a checkpoint based action rpg warrants some genre name for itself- when Souls didn't even invent this lol. At least in Metroidvanias case, Super Metroid and SoTN actually where doing shit not seen in their genres. Souls didn't really do anything unique outside of maybe not hand holding a generation that was used to it.

rogue like is a sub genre too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike
    Roguelike (or rogue-like) is a subgenre of role-playing video games
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "ultimate game of all time".

If we're saying a game that near-perfectly achieves what it sets out to achieve then yes. Dark Souls is one of the few games where IMO there is very very little it could do to be better.

If we're saying the game that the most people would enjoy then the genre is way to niche to get that. But then honestly the only games that would fit that sort of critera would be games like Candy Crush haha.

Personally the Dark Souls series are among my favourite games and they are probably the only games where I wouldn't change anything I just want more. So for me, yeah.
    Super metroid has it beat by miles in that regard.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Ultimate game of all time is the stupidest title i've ever heard. Every now and then comes a game that changes the gaming landscape, and no one of them can objectively be the best of all time.

This is a pure marketing strategy to generate click/talks due to its controversial nature and spawn discussions like this one. I'll continue to just disregard any kind of "award stuff" cause like magazine reviews most of the times the interests behind them are more important than the game itself.

This said, agree with many others that DS has been a very important title for the landscape of gaming, but "ultimate game of all time" is something you should 't give to it, or any game actually.
    Now this is the kind of reasonable take that I can get behind. The idea that there is an "ultimate game of all time" is asinine, imo.