Why such "hard" art?

Why is Overwatch's art so rough? It's not soft, but really, really hard, like it's made of rocks. Why?

Edit: Guys he just copy/pasted my thread from long ago: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...hard”+art%3F

Here I thought somebody finally understood me
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2021-11-25 at 01:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to sound condescending because I understand art is subjective but what do you mean hard? If anything it looks very Pixar... especially more on its use of colour. the art seems very soft really but then I am not sure, I don't understand what you mean by hard and rocky. I mean the art seems very circular and rounded to me, with lots of soft edges and light tones.

Unless you mean bulky... because the Blizzard style (not including Starcraft and Diablo), can be quite chunky, it mirrors the old Samwise art from the 90's especially in Warcraft and Hearthstone. Warcraft since Warcraft 2 have had a very chucky graphic style. and I tend to like that style. For me anyway
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-11-25 at 12:46 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Unsure what you mean with "hard" art?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Idk if I'd call it hard, but OW has a pretty distinct art style that works well imo. It's neutral and wholesome and plays with proportions a lot.

I'm pretty sure that OP is talking about the edges.

Guys he just copy/pasted my thread from long ago: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...hard”+art%3F

Here I thought somebody finally understood me