Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Why do people think playing on an controller is something crazy. It not much different than a gaming mouse..
    wat ? its night and day

if i had to bet I'd say yes, and prob be a feature in 11.0 (yes, expac after next). Add-ons will be an issue, and maybe the GCD. FF14 has a longer GCD which I think makes it a touch more forgiving for key binds/buttons
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    One issue I could see that prevents a console version is the games reliance on add-ons.

They've been relying on add-on authors to do free work and fill in the gaps in their half assed UI for years.

This isn't possible on consoles.
    It is possible to have mods/addons on consoles so entire point is moot.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW is still completely unfit for playing on consoles. Maybe you can adapt solo content for this purpose, but group pve and pvp is absolutely out of question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    WoW is still completely unfit for playing on consoles. Maybe you can adapt solo content for this purpose, but group pve and pvp is absolutely out of question.
    Absolute nonsense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YglpHjQBQ3s

There are way too many misinformation regarding consoles so here is couple of points:

1. Gamepad support is COMPLETELY separate issues than supporting consoles.
    Both PC and console can support either kb/m and gamepads

2. Addons are possible but requires actual game developers to implement support for this, and this is the biggest reason why consoles usually dont have mods. WoW does support lua scripts so it is already built in. In fact without it, their own UI wouldn't work.

3. Biggest problem would be actually architecture and logistics. Despite having similar specs to PC, porting wow to console is not as easy as just flip a target in compiler and done.
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2022-01-20 at 11:18 AM.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Absolute nonsense.
    Is there a healer pov maybe with console gameplay?

Of course
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7TP_HXK88A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7ZYVCQrH0
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I'm not quite understanding why people would want to play WoW on a console though. Surely it's just easier and cheaper to buy a computer of similar specs? Maybe someone can explain what the appeal is?
    There doesn't exists a world where you can buy a computer for $500 that is even near the specs of Xbox Series X. Just the GPU will cost 3 times of that, if you even can find one.

Full gamepad support would be pretty difficult with some of the current specs and roles, it would require some extreme dumbed down game version and I dont even know how high level healing would work - maybe with only 100% "smart heals" and less DPS or utility jobs for this role.

The game would change quite a bit, every console player would look just like the noob keyboard turners people point and laugh at.

Anti-cheat is complettly different between console and PC as everyone with Diablo could painfull see and experience. Separation of the communities might be the only way.
    -

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that's a horrible way to play this game. Also it's very suboptimal (mainly looking at the second one)
    It's like painting with lips or toes. It's doable with a lot of effort and practice, but there's a reason most people opt not to do it as long as they have hands.

But hey, let's look at the bright side. This means masochists can already play wow like this, no need for a console port
    Last edited by Zka; 2022-01-20 at 11:52 AM.

Yep, that's a horrible way to play this game. Also it's very suboptimal (mainly looking at the second one)
    It's like painting with lips or toes. It's doable with a lot of effort and practice, but there's a reason most people opt not to do it as long as they have hands.

But hey, let's look at the bright side. This means masochists can already play wow like this, no need for a console port
    Console and gamepad is two completely separate things. Just how hard is for people to understand that?

You can write a game on PC that only supports gamepad
    and
    You can write a game on console that only supports keyboard and mouse.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    There doesn't exists a world where you can buy a computer for $500 that is even near the specs of Xbox Series X. Just the GPU will cost 3 times of that, if you even can find one.
    Very true, I looked at the specs of the Xbox Series X earlier and for $500 it is indeed pretty darn insanely good. I think it was possible to make a decent enough computer in the past on a $500 budget to be comparable to a console, but the last years yeah, I'm definitely mistaken on that front.

The fact that Blizzard has a new daddy and that this one is a console constructor means that all their game collection will move to console.

If it happens though, they should allow players to use keyboards, mouse and let them use addons to customize as if they are using a computer. That would definitely be the cheapest and more comfortable option to play such a video game

As someone that has personally done mythic raiding and M+ dungeons with the ConsolePort addon, it's honestly not even that bad. When configured right, you get access to all the buttons you'd need with a combination of inputs. You can easily get as least 40 separate inputs on even a standard Xbox controller. ABXY, D-Pad, Right Bumper, Right Trigger all for spells and abilities you need in your standard rotation. Left Trigger + and of those 10 buttons gives you 10 more inputs (in exactly the same way having shift+1-10 works on a keyboard). Left Bumper + any of those 10 buttons, another 10. Left Bumper + Left Trigger + any of those 10 buttons, 10 more. That's not even factoring in start and select or the button inputs you'd get from clicking in the analog sticks which could easily be used for interface windows like your inventory, map, character page, guild page, etc. With very minimal practice, you can get into a rhythm very easily and get your rotation down. The only thing that's a bit awkward is targeting party members, but that could easily be optimized for a proper console release with some variation of smart targeting. I actually found it to be quite a comfortable break compared to clacking away at a keyboard all day and it's even better for casual play doing world quests or leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    A controller has 12 whole buttons. (technically 14, since you can press down each stick, but lets ignore them for a second)
    That means you have 12*11 different button combinations.

In other words, you have up to 144 different keybind variations.

Idk why people keep insisting that Blizzard will have to dumb down on classes in order to fit abilities on a controller, when a controller has enough space to fit each active ability of an entire class and still have space left.
    12*11 is 132

I assume that's just combinations of 2 buttons?
    triangle + circle will be the same as circle + triangle so that goes down to 66.

still a respectable number. will surely create some claw-grip-situations

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enter Name Here View Post
    12*11 is 132

I assume that's just combinations of 2 buttons?
    triangle + circle will be the same as circle + triangle so that goes down to 66.

still a respectable number. will surely create some claw-grip-situations

It's the 12 buttons by themselves + the 12*11 combinations, hence 146.
    But yes you are right, i completely forgot to account for repeating combinations.

So its down to 66 combos + each individual button, so 78.

That still vastly more space than any current spec needs.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2022-01-20 at 12:50 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    It's the 12 buttons by themselves + the 12*11 combinations, hence 146.
    But yes you are right, i completely forgot to account for repeating combinations.

So its down to 66 combos + each individual button, so 78.
    oh right, forgot that i can press buttons individually

Normal PS4 controller. Hold different triggers for different set of moves or tap x2 for others. Nothing hard about it, set up as you most comfortable with.

I’m on pc but use controller cause reasons
    It’s not about the sheer number of “bindable” commands, it’s the flow of the game itself. If a game has not been planned to be played also with a pad “from scratch”, you will notice.

It’s not impossible to play WoW with a pad but depending on what you’re doing, it’s far less efficient than using the m+k combo.

My roommate was playing on a controller as far back as Cata while I tanked.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Normal PS4 controller. Hold different triggers for different set of moves or tap x2 for others. Nothing hard about it, set up as you most comfortable with.

I’m on pc but use controller cause reasons
    That's cool. But I somehow doubt it would translate to WoW in the way they do bars and keybinds. I think with the way WoW is designed, that would be asking a lot of the community to adapt to that for WoWs playstyle. And I think it would honestly make raiding difficult. Just my two cents.