Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If game pass is required to play wow, I will forever be gone from wow. The only reason I still play is I can do it with gold making.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Why do people think playing on an controller is something crazy. It not much different than a gaming mouse..
    The thing is, with WoW, you are also using a keyboard WITH that gaming mouse.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioz10 View Post
    Of course it will, just look at Final Fantasy, Just watch this space, Keyboards and Mouse can be easily fitted to consoles now

- - - Updated - - -

blizz added controller support to wow in 9.0 then smokescreened us with conduit energy so we'd be too busy being hacked off to connect the dots
    You are right but FFIV has been thought with a pad in mind since scratch. WoW has been a PC game only since forever. It can be played with a pad even nowadays but it’s far less efficient than a M+K, especially for healers that use mouse over to heal (I think 99% of them and the 1% missing doesn’t know mouse over even exists).

Look at D3, they made a good job to adapt it to a pad, but the M+K experience remains superior due to its flexibility and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Because playing WoW requires more than a mouse? Honestly... in order to play effectively, you need more keybinds than a controller can allot for. It's not that playing with a controller is crazy, it's just not something you could feasibly do with the current state of WoW player and ability mechanics are concerned. Sure, they could strip it down I suppose and make it doable, but I think that would kill it for most people.
    I have 32 moves bound in ff14 on controller with room for more, how many do you need?

If they actually make a console port then get ready for the next content draught. Their resources are limited as it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    I have 32 moves bound in ff14 on controller with room for more, how many do you need?
    What kind of controller? On a PC or a console?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    What kind of controller? On a PC or a console?
    Normal PS4 controller. Hold different triggers for different set of moves or tap x2 for others. Nothing hard about it, set up as you most comfortable with.

I’m on pc but use controller cause reasons

There's already modding to play WoW with a DS4. I found it kinda crap, but I didn't try it for more than 1 hour so I can't be sure.

I mean current gen consoles are already pretty much just a PC. Most of them can even use a keyboard and mouse.

I hope not or wow will be a 6 abilities game.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Not if they implement FF XIV keybinding style.

WOW is a PC game. It was designed as a PC game. Just leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Surely it's just easier and cheaper to buy a computer of similar specs? Maybe someone can explain what the appeal is?
    Not even CLOSE, especially when it comes to the price. Have you seen the PC component pricing recently, especially GPUs? WoW might've been a dogshit looking game at some point in the past with minimum specs not being that big, but the recent engine and graphical upgrades require some reasonable processing power now. Consoles are much cheaper than an equally powerful PC these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    The thing is, with WoW, you are also using a keyboard WITH that gaming mouse.
    You can have quite a few binds available to the player when using a controller. For starters, there are two triggers, two bumpers. Both of those can act like shift/alt/ctrl modifier. LT+A, LT+B, LT+X, LT+Y, LB+A, LB+B, LB+X, LB+Y and a lot more, and that's not mentioning other dual function inputs like the joysticks which can be also pressed to act as another shift key modifier. It really isn't far from PC keybindings. Certainly more comfortable than shift keybindings for example. Outside of cutting edge 3v3 arena players you will not run out of available keybinds on controllers, even as a mythic raider.

Not to mention that you can actually use M+K on consoles for quite some time already.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2022-01-19 at 11:22 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A controller has 12 whole buttons. (technically 14, since you can press down each stick, but lets ignore them for a second)
    That means you have 12*11 different button combinations.

In other words, you have up to 144 different keybind variations.

Idk why people keep insisting that Blizzard will have to dumb down on classes in order to fit abilities on a controller, when a controller has enough space to fit each active ability of an entire class and still have space left.

Edit: i forgot to account for repeating combinations.
    So its actually 66 combos + 12 individual buttons, so 78 variations in total.

Argument still stands, that's still enough space to cover each active spell of 2 whole specs.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2022-01-20 at 01:11 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Just on a mage I have about maybe 60 binds and thats excluding the usual stuff bound in keybinds like movement, jumps, interact, toggle stuff, etc. A healer probably needs even a few more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Obviously not. Why? Controls and camera. WoW isnt pad dedicated and its pretty very far away from it.

With the console port, immersion, and dynamic cam addons wow is very playable on a controller for 90% of the content. More than enough keybinds. Healing is tough outside of dungeons since it’s so hard to cycle through a whole raid of players. Also ground target spells are a little tougher to place, but not unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalladin View Post
    WOW is a PC game. It was designed as a PC game. Just leave it be.
    A PC game with mobile type of gameplay and system. Weve already gone too far

One issue I could see that prevents a console version is the games reliance on add-ons.

They've been relying on add-on authors to do free work and fill in the gaps in their half assed UI for years.

This isn't possible on consoles.

FF14 gets around this problem by not allowing addons at all, which WoW just can't do without substantial changes in how the game works. They literally design a lot of the game around the idea that people will use add-ons to help beat it.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2022-01-20 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    For me, I prefer gaming in my recliner and playing on my 4k tv.

I've done it with a computer before, but it's awkward using a keyboard and mouse.

Basically, it's just simpler and easier to play on a console with a controller (and more quiet).

The keybinding and UI really isnt an issue. FF14 shows it can be done and work well.

It's also easier to get other people to try it if its on console (even easier if it's on game pass and sub is gone)
    My roommate did it in Cata, he did dailies and even ran some dungeons with us that way.