Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is the community so against a giant server merge?

WoW has like 200-400 servers globally? I think i can count a good solid 150-200 EU servers if we include the german, russian servers etc.
    I don't get it why WoW still has a need of this many servers. let us be honest. WoW has WAAAAY too many servers people can go to.

Compare it to todays FF14, even though they seem to be as active as WoW, they got like 16? (i'm guessing last time i saw) on europe. Vs WoW who has 150-200.

No wonder that games like FF14 feel alot more alive if you have to compete 200 other servers on WoW. like if they nerfed the 200 down to 50 already will show you a big increase on all realms on popularity.

But whenever this conversation starts people tend to rather have connected realms instead of merging them.

Like i rather have more crowded zones due the fact realms all gotten merged togheter, then feel like im playing alone.

No matter how much you connect, just merging servers togheter will show much better result.

Are people still so fond on their name that they rather have this many servers?

So are you ready for a server merge or you rather keep it like it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Community isn't really against that - it doesn't care and it's not needed since LFG tool basically already merges all servers.

Blizzard earns a lot from server transfers, but also has already made "connected servers" where it was deemed useful.

It's literally the first time i heard about a "mega merge".
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I didn't realize this was something I needed to care about.

Still don't.

Back when you were limited to 10-12 toons per server it meant something. It doesn't anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    eu merged with na servers would be awesome af could play with so much more friends its only like 200 ping it would still be playable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    No wonder that games like FF14 feel alot more alive if you have to compete 200 other servers on WoW. like if they nerfed the 200 down to 50 already will show you a big increase on all realms on popularity.
    Of course, it feels alive!? There's a queue even when their cities are basically dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Julmara View Post
    eu merged with na servers would be awesome af could play with so much more friends its only like 200 ping it would still be playable
    Honestly, I'd rather just connect EU and NA servers, not merge, just so people have a better choice.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

WoW has like 200-400 servers globally? I think i can count a good solid 150-200 EU servers if we include the german, russian servers etc.
    I don't get it why WoW still has a need of this many servers. let us be honest. WoW has WAAAAY too many servers people can go to.

Compare it to todays FF14, even though they seem to be as active as WoW, they got like 16? (i'm guessing last time i saw) on europe. Vs WoW who has 150-200.

But whenever this conversation starts people tend to rather have connected realms instead of merging them.

Like i rather have more crowded zones due the fact realms all gotten merged togheter, then feel like im playing alone.

No matter how much you connect, just merging servers togheter will show much better result.

I'm in favor of it and it's frankly long, long overdue. Seems like they prioritized keep transfer revenue above keeping the servers alive. Transfer revenue is huge - lots of people have spent hundreds on it.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Theres really no real to do it and deal with the loss is names and such when they already have connected realms. What they should do is just go all the way and merge connected realms AH’s and let them mythic raid as you can already make guilds across connected realms, if they did that it would have all of the benefit of merging without the down sides or hassle.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-11-27 at 05:42 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Because it's technically infeasible and that's why no one is ever discussing it. It wouldn't work. Period. End of discussion. /thread

But this is a gimlix post. What is the next "why aren't we doing the impossible yet?" question of the day? Stay tuned!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodbroham View Post
    Because it's technically infeasible and that's why no one is ever discussing it. It wouldn't work. Period. End of discussion. /thread

But this is a gimlix post. What is the next "why aren't we doing the impossible yet?" question of the day? Stay tuned!
    Well, we strike a few issues such as equipment, setup, and the naming process as problems.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Silly posts by people that dont understand what an amazing feature sharding is, when it comes to networking and everything.

Mega servers is a thing for instanced third-rate games to appear alive, WoW is in a bad state, but still not third-rate, and its not instanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I didn't realize this was something I needed to care about.

Still don't.

Back when you were limited to 10-12 toons per server it meant something. It doesn't anymore.
    It would be nice to visit a town like Goldshire and see 100-200 people hanging or go to Oribos, or stormwind and see the same.
    My server has that kinda population but i bet alot doesnt and now imagine most of them combined. Sounds like we would have overcrowded zones. Which would be a great thing inside a MMORPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, we strike a few issues such as equipment, setup, and the naming process as problems.
    Okay, well you're overlooking the biggest and most obvious problem: Connection. Latency. Ping. What you're asking for simply is not possible. Ever done the southshore vs tarren mill battle? Or play Classic when phase 2 started? How many of those mass battle experiences were smooth, lag-free experiences? I'll answer for you. Zero. Battlegrounds and raids are fine, because the servers are only handling the load of 40 (or in the case of the big ones, 80) players at any given time.

Internet technology, like landline phones, are not built to withstand the activity of every possible user at one given time. BellSouth was broken up in the 2000s because it was seen as a security risk to the nation that so many people were dependent on one service that couldn't even withstand being used. Theoretically, in the year 2000, if everyone picked up their landline phone in their house and dialed at one time.. What would happen? It would crash, or nothing would go through. It only worked under the assumption that it was never under maximum load. The internet is no different. This is why websites like walmart, microsoft, gamestop, etc. all slow to a crawl when the new Playstation or Xbox is in stock. There is only a certain amount of traffic any network can handle.

So Gimlix doesn't really understand what he's asking for, so I'll explain it. If there was a "mega-server", under the hood what would they do? They would basically break it up into shards, layers, etc that dynamically apply as the number of players increase.

So... In other words....The concepts of realms/servers would simply be abstracted away from the user who does not select what "server" they log in to. But behind the scenes, it would literally apply.

So you're basically asking for a carbon copy of what we have already, except you'd simply have less info available, and they'd have put development work and hours into accomplishing zero percent of additional features. Log in and your friend says to meet by Oribos bank? Oops, different shard/server/layer that was abstracted away from you.

If it isn't clear, allow me to make it clear: THIS IS WHY SERVERS EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE. And any game with a population over a few thousand will also be incorporating this, no matter how they advertise themselves, the concept of a "mega server" for hundreds of thousands to millions of players all seamlessly existing in the same space at the same time? Does not exist. Will probably never exist within WoW's relevant lifespan, which seems to be nearing it's end anyways.

Firstly names are important for many players when in relation to connected realms to merge arguments. Sure you have the XxillidanxX types, but there's many whose name is something that has actual meaning and don't want it changed (Of course the argument to fix that is last names which I agree with but even that could have an issue).

I guess RP realms have their own thing where say MG and WrA had their own communities. Although now it seems one sides full Alliance (MG) and the other is full horde (WRA) so the point of not merging them is no longer an issue, especially since big events players now bring in friends from other RP realms.

I guess in the end it just comes down to wanting to keep your name in the connected vs merging. It is something I sympathise with. If last names are added I can lean more towards merging over connected. But at the same time the RP realms must be kept fully apart from non RP realms.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    1) Having that many servers makes it appear that WoW is doing more business than it actually does.

2) Having that many servers means that there is less conflict with names since your name is actually {name}-{server}.

3) Blizz still makes significant revenue from server transfers.

4) It *might* actually be cheaper to maintain a few hundred small server VMs than a few dozen large server VMs. Currently, it is lot easier to scale horizontally than vertically for most applications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, well you're overlooking the biggest and most obvious problem: Connection. Latency. Ping. What you're asking for simply is not possible. Ever done the southshore vs tarren mill battle? Or play Classic when phase 2 started? How many of those mass battle experiences were smooth, lag-free experiences? I'll answer for you. Zero. Battlegrounds and raids are fine, because the servers are only handling the load of 40 (or in the case of the big ones, 80) players at any given time.

Internet technology, like landline phones, are not built to withstand the activity of every possible user at one given time. BellSouth was broken up in the 2000s because it was seen as a security risk to the nation that so many people were dependent on one service that couldn't even withstand being used. Theoretically, in the year 2000, if everyone picked up their landline phone in their house and dialed at one time.. What would happen? It would crash, or nothing would go through. It only worked under the assumption that it was never under maximum load. The internet is no different. This is why websites like walmart, microsoft, gamestop, etc. all slow to a crawl when the new Playstation or Xbox is in stock. There is only a certain amount of traffic any network can handle.

So Gimlix doesn't really understand what he's asking for, so I'll explain it. If there was a "mega-server", under the hood what would they do? They would basically break it up into shards, layers, etc that dynamically apply as the number of players increase.

So... In other words....The concepts of realms/servers would simply be abstracted away from the user who does not select what "server" they log in to. But behind the scenes, it would literally apply.

So you're basically asking for a carbon copy of what we have already, except you'd simply have less info available, and they'd have put development work and hours into accomplishing zero percent of additional features. Log in and your friend says to meet by Oribos bank? Oops, different shard/server/layer that was abstracted away from you.

If it isn't clear, allow me to make it clear: THIS IS WHY SERVERS EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE. And any game with a population over a few thousand will also be incorporating this, no matter how they advertise themselves, the concept of a "mega server" for hundreds of thousands to millions of players all seamlessly existing in the same space at the same time? Does not exist. Will probably never exist within WoW's relevant lifespan, which seems to be nearing it's end anyways.
    Eh.. What? I know those issues, and as said, my only wish was of we could connect so people could have their account for NA and EU and what not, like FFXIV, nothing more. Else, I know the issues of the rest, nothing new. I just mentioned some of the issues. As for latency, that is down to the different locations.

You did the "/thread" thing which means in your mind the thread was done. It's still going after that point.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

10+ Year Old Account
    People never seem to remember the opening of expansions. This would just be broken up into layers and shards anyway so the topic is pretty much a waste of time given Blizzard's technology.

FOOTNOTE: How about let's not compare to other MMO's since there are warnings about doing that nearly every day.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post
    You did the "/thread" thing which means in your mind the thread was done. It's still going after that point.
    Honestly. People who do /thread just show they actually do not wish to discuss anything but are just there to drop their nugget and leave the rest to other people. Quite a lack of dedication in an attempt to participate in a forum discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People never seem to remember the opening of expansions. This would just be broken up into layers and shards anyway so the topic is pretty much a waste of time given Blizzard's technology.

FOOTNOTE: How about let's not compare to other MMO's since there are warnings about doing that nearly every day.
    Pardon me, ML, mine was more brought up in the connection of wanting the regions connected by one account like the previously mentioned MMORPG, instead of having to purchase multiple licenses each for a new region. So, one couldn't avoid mentioning said option as it is a good example.

As for the topic of mega-servers, they aren't really needed when Blizzard has a system that phase connects servers, or directly connects them via LFG/LFD/LFR/Random BG. Mega servers aren't always the answer as they are also more prone to become a victim of operations, either cost or uptime.

Honestly, I feel like the biggest issue in Blizzards eyes would be with how you deal with name issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Honestly, I feel like the biggest issue in Blizzards eyes would be with how you deal with name issues.
    That is indeed one of the biggest issues with such an endeavor. Sure, we could all keep our server connection as a remaining handle, but I doubt people want to run around constantly with (*) next to their name, or Playername@previousserver. I am all for applying first and last names, though.