Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where are the CGI cinematics?

I thought I remembered a blue post that confirmed that Old Soldier cinematics would have an equivalent in coming expansions. But so far only the Shadowlands announcement cinematic and like a weird teaser thing have been shown.

Are we expecting one at the end of the Sepulcher?

I'd hope so, but we also know Shadowlands has been largely abandoned now.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If they did have some planned I wouldn’t be surprised if who ever they hired to make them got delayed by COVID and with there own in house delays they scrapped the idea.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Probably scrapped if any were planned. The extra cgi cinematic of the Covenants released right before expansion launch certainly seemed like more were planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with

15+ Year Old Account
    Just guessing, but might be they had to redirect resources to redoing the cinematics for Diablo II Resurrected after Reforged flopped, since they wanted to make as positive an impression as possible with D2.

They're also probably working on stuff for Overwatch 2, plus having to deal with whatever workflow disruptions the pandemic caused.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2021-11-27 at 09:01 PM.

There was also a thing about D4/OW2 having further delays due to the amount of people that have left the company recently on account of the whole sexual harassment lawsuit going on and the fact the company seems to just be generally falling to pieces at the moment. I imagine all that has had a bit of an effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    BfA had 6 big cinematics. I gotta think maybe COVID had a hand in the lack of them in Shadowlands, and its a shame Blizzard do good work on their big cinem,atics, becuase their in game ones are kind of lacking in the same sort of wow factor (no pun intended)
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitsu View Post
    There was also a thing about D4/OW2 having further delays due to the amount of people that have left the company recently on account of the whole sexual harassment lawsuit going on and the fact the company seems to just be generally falling to pieces at the moment. I imagine all that has had a bit of an effect.
    That’s all recent stuff Any CGI cutscenes would have taken months to make so would have been done before most of that.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Well, at least back in BFA, they had enough subs to warrant the cost. Now? Now they're cutting all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    BfA had 6 big cinematics. I gotta think maybe COVID had a hand in the lack of them in Shadowlands, and its a shame Blizzard do good work on their big cinem,atics, becuase their in game ones are kind of lacking in the same sort of wow factor (no pun intended)
    I agree. Their pre rendered cinematics are among the best in the industry. But the in game cinematics with the slowed down default /say animations and ridiculous expressions are down right embarrassing.

It was super nice with the amount of CGI cinematics we got in BFA and they are missed, however the in-game cinematics team have taken it to the next level with Shadowlands I think. The amount of emotion and custom animation they have been able to do with the new models, especially with the Night Warrior cinematics in 9.1 and the Night Fae covenant campaign, or the ones with Sylvanas and Anduin, has been leaps and bounds ahead of anything they have done before in-engine.

It's not as good as a super crispy pixar-level quality cutscene, but they have been great in their own way

5+ Year Old Account
    Why waste money when almost all your players play ff14, its easier to just add some random mount to store and get these "tasty" dibs from shills.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    I'd hope so, but we also know Shadowlands has been largely abandoned now.
    If there was going to be one of their highly detailed cinematics it would have been started more than a year ago. That stuff doesn't get abandoned since it needs voice acting and the rest for it and that's done months and months prior to its release. Those cinematics sometimes take years to finish.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-11-27 at 10:11 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    Well, at least back in BFA, they had enough subs to warrant the cost. Now? Now they're cutting all costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Why waste money when almost all your players play ff14, its easier to just add some random mount to store and get these "tasty" dibs from shills.
    stuff like this is nonsensical if they were going to make the CGI cutscenes they would have started before launch and given that shadowlands had the best launch ever cutting cost would be be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    If there were going to be one of their highly detailed cinematics it would have been started years ago. That stuff doesn't get abandoned since it needs voice acting and the rest for it and that's done months and months prior to its release.
    I feel like you haven't seen one of these developed before. They absolutely wouldn't have started it years ago. They absolutely weren't putting together a high quality CGI scene for Shadowlands 9.2 back during 8.2. These projects don't get started until there's clear interest, then they don't get finished unless that interest is maintained. If they were planning some high quality CGI, the earliest it would have been started would have been shortly after 9.1 was first announced and even then, likely not until shortly after 9.1 was actually released.

Remember, this is a AAA company. A few weeks is enough to have the hundreds of employees make the necessary assets to animate the scenes. A few more weeks is enough for animations to get mostly complete, just not detailed yet. A few more weeks is enough for animation to have begun detailing and assets to be updated for detailing as well. A few more weeks is enough to finish the project's first pass. A few more weeks is enough to give the cinematic is final detailing passes at the same time that voice acting is being recorded. A few more weeks is enough to polish voice acting and the blending of the mouths. That's 3-4 months, the common amount of time companies have reported.

Companies are run by shareholders. Shareholders would not be okay with a 5-minute cinematic taking years to complete.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    I thought I remembered a blue post that confirmed that Old Soldier cinematics would have an equivalent in coming expansions. But so far only the Shadowlands announcement cinematic and like a weird teaser thing have been shown.

Are we expecting one at the end of the Sepulcher?
    I'm still waiting for a CGI about how Eternal Ones exiled Zovaal to Maw. We saw him in chains in short cgi but I want more.

5+ Year Old Account
    Chances are that people in charge of the CGI stuff were quite busy with D2R (especially after the trainwreck of WC3 Refunded) and now have their hands full with OW 1.5 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I don't really care for cinematics to support their crappy stories. I'd settle for engaging gameplay and expansion features than watching mini movies about Sylvanas being check mated in 4D chess by Kratos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they don't waste any more resources on this flop of an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldofSargeras View Post
    I'm still waiting for a CGI about how Eternal Ones exiled Zovaal to Maw. We saw him in chains in short cgi but I want more.
    This. And I also want to finally see Zovaal's motivations other than "he is just very bad".