Man, the Copeviet Union is still trying to pass off their loses on Snake Island as Ukrainian ones. They released a video of what they said were dead Ukrainians but forgot to remove the belts with the very obvious Russian Navy insignias on them. Oops.

It"s now official. Social democratic party in Sweden as expected are also in favor. That means an overwhelming majority, for Sweden along with Finland to apply for NATO membership.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2022-05-15 at 03:37 PM.
    Ukraine’s government has officially registered the Moskva cruiser wreck on the Black Sea bottom as a national underwater cultural heritage site.

So it's unlikely that this country will seek NATO membership but wouldn't that be the icing on the cake...

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    So it's unlikely that this country will seek NATO membership but wouldn't that be the icing on the cake...
    Will not happen. They've absolutely no reason to, they're completely surrounded by countries with no hostile intent towards them whatsoever.

I know, but the sheer fact that they are even doing some investigation into it seems like a shift. Anyway, it crossed my path and I was surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Is that why Putin has had Russian fighter jets and bombers do mock raids and drills on Finland for years?
    Must be Putin's idea of the Russian-neighbor relationship.
    Yes because being within Russia's sphere of influence requires you to accept that your own security needs must be assessed through the Russian lens and fall secondary to Russia's interests which should be your primary concern.

If Ukraine had realised this then it wouldn't have forced Russia's hand to start a genocide.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2022-05-15 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Yes because being within Russia's sphere of influence requires you to accept that your own security needs must be assessed through the Russian lens and fall secondary to Russia's interests which should be your primary concern.

If Ukraine had realised this then it wouldn't have forced Russia's hand to start a genocide.
    SO how many rubles are you paid for this shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Is that why Putin has had Russian fighter jets and bombers do mock raids and drills on Finland for years?
    Must be Putin's idea of the Russian-neighbor relationship.
    Russia routinely make the same typ of mock bombers strike agents Sweden. NATO must give Putin a price for best recruter for NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    SO how many rubles are you paid for this shit?
    /Facepalm.

I was going to post that obvious sarcasm is sarcasm but I also posted knowing that what I was writing was legitimately the Russian take on issues of security so...my bad I guess. I'll put /s next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post

Hot Take, Russia does not inherently have any right to have a ”sphere of influence” just because the soviet union had its boot on the neck of bunch of countries in eastern europe.

If the Ivans don’t like what their own actions are driving their neighbours into doing, they can go fuck themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Hot Take, Russia does not inherently have any right to have a ”sphere of influence” just because the soviet union had its boot on the neck of bunch of countries in eastern europe.
    Unfortunately, those dumb, stuck in the past soviet heads never realized that, hence all the issues they caused in this century. All of this because of a lost Cold War complex.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    It"s now official. Social democratic party in Sweden as expected are also in favor. That means an overwhelming majority, for Sweden along with Finland to apply for NATO membership.
    The most interesting is that Russia seems cool with both Finland and Sweden joining NATO

https://thehill.com/news/3488987-fin...n-nato-calmly/
    Finnish president Niinistö, told CNN’s “State of the Union” that Putin’s reaction during the phone call was a “surprise.”
    The surprise was that he took [the news] so calmly.
    and
    Moscow opposes the expansion of NATO, but the inclusion of Finland and Sweden in the bloc won’t become an existential threat to it
    , Kremlin Press Secretary Dmitry Peskov told Sky News on Friday.
    (Translation of "existential threat" for OP: Russia will not launch nuclear missiles against Finland and Sweden.)

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The most interesting is that Russia seems cool with both Finland and Sweden joining NATO

Finnish president Niinistö, told CNN’s “State of the Union” that Putin’s reaction during the phone call was a “surprise.”

and
    (Translation of "existential threat" for OP: Russia will not launch nuclear missiles against Finland and Sweden.)
    Historically Finland hasn't really made any claims on russian soil, except for the obvious independence thing and the Continuation War, and neither has Sweden. Now I don't trust putin, but it just might be that they understand that Finland and Sweden are purely there for defense, fat chance of them understanding that, I know. Also, wasting nukes on Finland, Sweden and Norway seems kinda silly. Yes, there are those who want Karelia back, but honestly from what I hear it's a neglected shithole which is thoroughly russified and NO country close to russia is currently wanting to have a sizeable russian minority.

Meanwhile both Ukraine and Belarus have been used as highways into russia in the past (and the same kinda goes from the east via Mongolia).

Still, the mild response is odd to say the least. (or it could just be an acknowledgement that they can't do shit about it right now, short of nuking the place and that would be stupid.)

and
    Nothing really surprising about that. Ruskies ain't stupid and those countries made it clear they want to join NATO after the invasion. All is going as expected in that regard. Putlers and his team outrage was for the masses. What was he supposed to do, curse and threaten Finnish president on the phone? But they are definitely NOT cool about all this situation. It's a major blunder for the country who started this war under "push NATO away" slogan.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-05-15 at 06:28 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

and
    I mean, they can't do anything about it. So claiming its a threat and cannot be allowed just makes them look weaker when they don't prevent it from happening.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    NATO must give Putin a price for best recruter for NATO.
    Already done!

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Still, the mild response is odd to say the least.
    No its totaly logic, Russia have try to scare Sweden and Finland to not join NATO, by harsh words and mock nuclear strikes. It failed. To continue the sabre-rattling is counterproductive, becuse if the sabre-rattling "succeed" Sweden and Finland will demand NATO troops, and maybe even NATO nuclear wepons. Hence aggravate the Russian strategic position, so Russia change tactic and try to play nice toward Sweden and Finland, so they do not demand NATO troops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Already done!
    That was fast..... ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    No its totaly logic, Russia have try to scare Sweden and Finland to not join NATO, by harsh words and mock nuclear strikes. It failed. To continue the sabre-rattling is counterproductive, becuse if the sabre-rattling "succeed" Sweden and Finland will demand NATO troops, and maybe even NATO nuclear wepons. Hence aggravate the Russian strategic position, so Russia change tactic and try to play nice toward Sweden and Finland, so they do not demand NATO troops.
    Eh, Sweden has already said they'll apply but they don't want Nukes or Nato bases on Swedish soil. As for the carrot, putin is not really the carrot kinda guy. Finland will most likely host bases as they already do training on Finnish soil so that would just make it easier. Niinistö has a reasonable working relationship with putin though so it could very well been a base level of cordiality. (as far as I know putin had told Niinistö he could always call him whenever he wanted the last time they spoke before last Saturday.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    are they all just drunk over there at this point???
    Are they trying to pass them as Russian? I mean, they have already called dips on Columbus, Latin alphabet, Genghis Khan, and the discovery and colonization of South America.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/statu...295747?lang=en
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.