1. #20161
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Not sure why you're rewriting it, but oh well. I guess you bought into that argument.
    How am I rewriting it? They posed it as a question, not a statement, for starters, and then it was a range from 3-4 billion. As I said, the 2.8 billion of China + India is certainly close enough to that range not to warrant your unhinged screeching.

    Besides, as was also mentioned, China + India are only two of the 40 countries involved, and the overall point was that the combined total is more than half the world's population.


    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    The x billion people debate is irrelevant to begin with.
    Your farcical attempts to rewrite the math belie this statement. But sure, we can backpedal from your pointless pedantry for the sake of actual meaningful discussion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I suggest you control your feelings when debating on a forum, it's not personal.
    Who said it was personal? I'm just calling out someone blatantly making shit up and being nonconstructive. If you don't like it, try having a valid point next time.

    We can just move on from this.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  2. #20162
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    Got our answer pretty quick on the Turkey situation. It is indeed a concession that he wants, and very a specific one. He said today now that Turkey will approve their NATO membership conditionally on Sweden and Finland extraditing Kurdish "PKK members" to Turkey. I have a feeling they will be very reluctant to do so. The plot thickens...
    The PKK has been designated a terrorist group by the following the United States, EU, Canada, Japan, Australia, and United Kingdom. Both Finland and Sweden have extradited members of the PKK in the past.

    I like Putin's back pedaling on the idea though. From severe consequences to just do not provide Finland and Sweden with military assets.

  3. #20163
    Some good news out of Mariupol - 264 wounded soldiers have been evacuated. They are going to hospitals in rebel held regions before being exchanged for Russian POWs

    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share

  4. #20164
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It's a pyric victory for whichever country comes out on top, Ukraine was already in deep debt before the invasion, the "aid" isn't free money it's being added to their considerable debt. The millions of people that have fled will be settled in other countries and will not be return. That's not even going into the even larger debt load they will have to take on to rebuild.

    The massive corruption problems the country has didn't vanish because they are fighting a war. It's going to be a shit show either way freedom isn't cheap I suppose.
    It very much will be a phyrric victory in practice, but when the odds are so stacked against you any victory is still an achievement.

    A lot of the post-war recovery will certainly depends on how much aid the West sends. Will be interesting to see how much international interests after peace.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

    The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

  5. #20165
    Scarab Lord Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    4,482
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2022-05-16 at 11:37 PM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

  6. #20166
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Just based on that graphic, they're already buying arms from France and Israel. Between those two countries that could cover just about any needs they might have going forward, without the need to start buying from the US.
    US assistant secretary of state for South Asian affairs, Donald Lu, disclosed to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that India has already canceled major defense imports from Russia over the past few weeks, including orders for MiG-29 fighter jets.

    That was from March. No confirmation from the Indian government. No denial either.

    Just for the hell of it.

    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-05-16 at 11:41 PM.

  7. #20167
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It very much will be a phyrric victory in practice, but when the odds are so stacked against you any victory is still an achievement.

    A lot of the post-war recovery will certainly depends on how much aid the West sends. Will be interesting to see how much international interests after peace.
    A pyrrhic victory comes at too high a cost to be worth it. You’re saying it’d be better to surrender. Interesting stance.

  8. #20168
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    A pyrrhic victory comes at too high a cost to be worth it. You’re saying it’d be better to surrender. Interesting stance.
    What a pathetic strawman. It's clear that you don't really understand the concept and are just looking for a fight.

    While a Pyrrhic victory is often tantamount to a defeat, it's important to remember that not all defeats are the same. It certainly seems, for example, like most Ukrainians would view a Pyrrhic victory as better than an outright surrender.

    So maybe just stop trying to put your words into other people's mouths, eh?


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  9. #20169
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What a pathetic strawman. It's clear that you don't really understand the concept and are just looking for a fight.

    While a Pyrrhic victory is often tantamount to a defeat, it's important to remember that not all defeats are the same. It certainly seems, for example, like most Ukrainians would view a Pyrrhic victory as better than an outright surrender.

    So maybe just stop trying to put your words into other people's mouths, eh?
    I used the literal definition of the word. Either the victory is worth the cost or it’s not. If it’s not then surrender is preferred. Did I miss somehing?

    Edit: I don’t view Ukraine remaining mostly intact as pyrrhic. Maybe you do, but I don’t think it’s too high a price to pay to give up areas that were mostly controlled by Russian terrorists to do so.
    Last edited by Vegas82; 2022-05-17 at 12:01 AM.

  10. #20170
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    A pyrrhic victory comes at too high a cost to be worth it. You’re saying it’d be better to surrender. Interesting stance.
    Read it as "victory with a high cost" if you prefer instead, which is another interpretation of the expression. I did not even imply surrender would be preferable and even a cursory reading of my posts in this thread would provide ample proof.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

    The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

  11. #20171
    Putin is going full Hitler. You never go full Hitler.

    Sadly I can already see the result after all this is done now, the Russian revisionism claiming that it was Putin's interference that prevented them winning, just like all teh Nazi apologists claim that if Hitler hadn't interfered in the running of the war then the Germans would have won.

  12. #20172

  13. #20173
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I reckon Ukraine could give him an answer to this...
    I mean, it's not surprise that he's basically repeating the Trump talking points on this.

    It's no wonder that Tucker Carlson is apparently actively promoted for state-run Russian media given his talking points.

  14. #20174
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Read it as "victory with a high cost" if you prefer instead, which is another interpretation of the expression. I did not even imply surrender would be preferable and even a cursory reading of my posts in this thread would provide ample proof.
    The continuing claim it’s a pyrrhic victory would belie that statement. It’s not. Yes, they got beat up. That doesn’t in any way mean it’s coming at too high a cost. Which is the only interpretation of pyrrhic. It’s the same as being defeated when you say it’s a pyrrhic victory. That’s fucking bullshit.

  15. #20175
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, it's not surprise that he's basically repeating the Trump talking points on this.

    It's no wonder that Tucker Carlson is apparently actively promoted for state-run Russian media given his talking points.
    It'd be a pretty easy career move for him, going over to Russia, tbh. They'd love to have, I have no doubt. Then again, they're getting him for free right now, so...

  16. #20176
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It'd be a pretty easy career move for him, going over to Russia, tbh. They'd love to have, I have no doubt. Then again, they're getting him for free right now, so...
    I mean, with the Russian economy going the way it is, I don't think Tucker is willing to give up all the creature comforts to go be with his Vladdy.

  17. #20177
    Ukraine has released captured paperwork form the 1st Guards Tank Army which had listed there losses by March 15. Two months old, but the losses they had taken at the start are still very high - 61 KIA, 44 MIA, 209 WIA, 96 taken POW. 308 lost vehicles, including 131 tanks in just the first 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2022-05-17 at 12:59 AM.

  18. #20178
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, with the Russian economy going the way it is, I don't think Tucker is willing to give up all the creature comforts to go be with his Vladdy.
    What makes you think he’d have to move to Russia? They have plenty of paid shills who reside in other countries. The sanctions have complicated that a bit, but that won’t stand in their way. He can just do a web show and get paid via a “Turkish” corp.

  19. #20179
    Well, Russian roads are about to get even more dangerous. Due to foreign manufacturers pulling out, Russian companies have been given permission to make cars without such safety features as airbags and ABS.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/jason_cor...99887763083269

    It's back to Lada's for everyone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The only apparently sane man on Russian state TV is back, delivering some more truths. Even smacks down the sour-faced bloodthirsty bitch a few times as well. Amongst other things, he says Russia shouldn't be sabre-rattling towards Finland because it is just seen as amusing.

  20. #20180
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    How am I rewriting it? They posed it as a question, not a statement, for starters, and then it was a range from 3-4 billion. As I said, the 2.8 billion of China + India is certainly close enough to that range not to warrant your unhinged screeching.

    Besides, as was also mentioned, China + India are only two of the 40 countries involved, and the overall point was that the combined total is more than half the world's population.



    Your farcical attempts to rewrite the math belie this statement. But sure, we can backpedal from your pointless pedantry for the sake of actual meaningful discussion.



    Who said it was personal? I'm just calling out someone blatantly making shit up and being nonconstructive. If you don't like it, try having a valid point next time.

    We can just move on from this.
    A simple google would remove the need to question it, also he wrote China and India, nothing else, which you changed.

    It's obvious that you're either having a terrible week or simply projecting.

    Also the point was, made up numbers are useless as an argument, somehow you got it but at the same time not.

    And I agree in your final conclusion. Not interested in debating with someone who's entry is simple insults. The ignore button is there for a reason, thankfully.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Well, Russian roads are about to get even more dangerous. Due to foreign manufacturers pulling out, Russian companies have been given permission to make cars without such safety features as airbags and ABS.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/jason_cor...99887763083269

    It's back to Lada's for everyone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The only apparently sane man on Russian state TV is back, delivering some more truths. Even smacks down the sour-faced bloodthirsty bitch a few times as well. Amongst other things, he says Russia shouldn't be sabre-rattling towards Finland because it is just seen as amusing.
    Suddenly this might become relevant again


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •