1. #22121
    Russian modus operandi in syria was to bomb civilian infrastructure in an area until it was unlivable (water,schools,hospitals etc) and then move syrain forces in to the ruins when it had been all but abandoned.

    Lets not forget mariupol theatre as well.

  2. #22122
    Because fighting in cities is actually horrid, especially if the civilian population is against you.
    The absolute last place you want to be fighting is in a city, so if you are not burdened by humanitarian concerns its easier to remove the city then conquer it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  3. #22123
    I guess it was bound to happen, with Russia stuck in a quagmire and pulling in troops from everywhere it can - fighting between Azerbaijan and Armenia has broken out again.

  4. #22124
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,772
    While Russia is in no state to respond to it, it will be "interesting" how Turkey reacts.

  5. #22125
    Herald of the Titans Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I guess it was bound to happen, with Russia stuck in a quagmire and pulling in troops from everywhere it can - fighting between Azerbaijan and Armenia has broken out again.
    That's rich, russia calling for "restraint", sounds like they know they can't actually do anything there unless they weaken their effort in Ukraine. Which has seen an interesting turn in recent days anyway as russia apparently has moved troops from the east towards Kherson. I don't think weakening one area to reinforce another is the best idea...especially if that area was already difficult.

  6. #22126
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,295
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...Force_Tactics/

    Apparently a decent game for 3 bucks. All profits go to help Ukraine.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-08-05 at 07:28 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  7. #22127
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...Force_Tactics/

    Apparently a decent game for 3 bucks. All profits go to help Ukraine.
    Not my kind of game, but I'ma gift it to people play that genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  8. #22128
    Go home Amnesty, you're drunk. And fucking naive and stupid too. Ukrainians can defend their country against an illegal invasion of rapists however the fuck they want.

  9. #22129
    I'll be getting a copy, even if I don't play it.

    More on the Amnesty debacle. The head of amnesty in Ukraine has resigned in protest, but before doing so released a scathing post. Basically Amnesty completely ignored the Ukrainian branch, not even consulting with them on what actually was taking place on the ground.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/sumlenny/...80431561560064

  10. #22130
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The reason is that they'd be annihilated in open country outside of heavy residential areas. There are sound military reasons for it.

    But it gets civilians killed and hospitals/schools blown up.
    The invaders should've thought about that and this whole situation would have been avoided. If Ukrainians for example want to execute captured orcs then I'd give them the right to. ruZZia can suck it

  11. #22131
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The invaders should've thought about that and this whole situation would have been avoided. If Ukrainians for example want to execute captured orcs then I'd give them the right to. ruZZia can suck it
    Putting aside the moral issues of killing people that have surrender, its just a really stupid idea tactically. You WANT the Russians to surrender to the Ukrainian forces and executing prisoners makes that a lot less likely.

  12. #22132
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    Putting aside the moral issues of killing people that have surrender, its just a really stupid idea tactically. You WANT the Russians to surrender to the Ukrainian forces and executing prisoners makes that a lot less likely.
    The russki troops are already being fed all sorts of crazy propaganda about how Ukrainians would treat them, so it probably would not even make a huge difference.

  13. #22133
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The invaders should've thought about that and this whole situation would have been avoided. If Ukrainians for example want to execute captured orcs then I'd give them the right to. ruZZia can suck it
    No, I'm sorry. If they want to commit war-crimes, then expect the rest of the world to react appropriately once this is all over. With trials and punishments.

    Russia invading gives them the right to defend themselves, and the rest of the free world is providing all the support they can in that fight. But it doesn't give them the right to commit the same atrocities that the Russians are committing. This is how you end up with more and more people saying "should we really be supporting Ukraine? THEY DON'T SEEM TO BE ANY DIFFERENT FROM THE RUSSIANS".

    They need to act like human beings in this war. Not like orcs. Which means fighting, sure. Killing, absolutely. But handling captured prisoners in the way described under the Geneva Convention. That moral high ground is going to be important, politically, in the years that follows Russia losing and being kicked out of the country. And as Canpinter said, it's important tactically too. Treat prisoners well, make sure the news of that gets spread far and wide. Start the whispers in the ears of the Russian conscripts; "the other side would treat you better than your side does....why would you not surrender?"
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

  14. #22134
    While a load if dead ruscists wouldn't be mourned, hundreds or even thousands of half starved demoralised ruskis being marched off into captivity would be much better for optics and propaganda and would really shock the Russian public.

  15. #22135
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    While a load if dead ruscists wouldn't be mourned, hundreds or even thousands of half starved demoralised ruskis being marched off into captivity would be much better for optics and propaganda and would really shock the Russian public.
    I doubt they'd ever hear about it. If Russia's official stance on that ship was sunk was that it sunk in some sort of storm on a perfectly clear day and they only lost a single sailor when all other accounts say that it was sank by Ukraine with nearly all lives lost, then clearly whatever actually happens and whether it's even believable or not isn't very important to Russian propaganda. I imagine in your scenario that the Russian propaganda machine would say that either Ukraine had been unable to take any Russians as prisoner to show how weak Ukraine is, or that Ukraine had killed them all to show how merciless they are and that Russia needs to fight harder. Russian optics are driven by a narrative that they don't "twist" the truth to fit, they just wholesale make it up.

    All of that to say, I'm still not for killing Russian PoWs. The point is not to "show your enemy mercy so that they think better of you" that people have countered with "Russians view mercy as weakness." You don't do it "hoping that the Russians abide by the same rules," to be countered with "they do no such thing because they brutally murder Ukrainian PoWs." All of those things may indeed be true, but you do it because you're better than the Russians. And whatever Russia thinks of you for doing it is immaterial, because what Russia thinks aint worth jack shit.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-08-06 at 08:04 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  16. #22136
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I doubt they'd ever hear about it. If Russia's official stance on that ship was sunk was that it sunk in some sort of storm on a perfectly clear day and they only lost a single sailor when all other accounts say that it was sank by Ukraine with nearly all lives lost, then clearly whatever actually happens and whether it's even believable or not isn't very important to Russian propaganda. I imagine in your scenario that the Russian propaganda machine would say that either Ukraine had been unable to take any Russians as prisoner to show how weak Ukraine is, or that Ukraine had killed them all to show how merciless they are and that Russia needs to fight harder. Russian optics are driven by a narrative that they don't "twist" the truth to fit, they just wholesale make it up.

    All of that to say, I'm still not for killing Russian PoWs. The point is not to "show your enemy mercy so that they think better of you" that people have countered with "Russians view mercy as weakness." You don't do it "hoping that the Russians abide by the same rules," to be countered with "they do no such thing because they brutally murder Ukrainian PoWs." All of those things may indeed be true, but you do it because you're better than the Russians. And whatever Russia thinks of you for doing it is immaterial, because what Russia thinks aint worth jack shit.
    I think you underestimate how much Russians know. The problem is that they don't care. They have been "amoralized" and "untruthed" by Putin over the years, effectively making them into psychopaths. They want to be bottoms for Putin. That's the only thing they care about. "I'm not political" is the same as supporting this genocide.

  17. #22137
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    I think you underestimate how much Russians know. The problem is that they don't care. They have been "amoralized" and "untruthed" by Putin over the years, effectively making them into psychopaths. They want to be bottoms for Putin. That's the only thing they care about. "I'm not political" is the same as supporting this genocide.
    He isn't wrong tho. russian POWs should be treated with all the dignity granted to them by international law, regardless of how russians treat their own POWs.

    Now, you don't exactly have to check in with the russian invaders you are bombing or shooting every 5 minutes to see if they have surrendered already. Might as well continue until they get to you to do the surrendering in person.

  18. #22138
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    He isn't wrong tho. russian POWs should be treated with all the dignity granted to them by international law, regardless of how russians treat their own POWs.

    Now, you don't exactly have to check in with the russian invaders you are bombing or shooting every 5 minutes to see if they have surrendered already. Might as well continue until they get to you to do the surrendering in person.
    Oh, I definitely agree with that. There're plenty of good Russians out there, and we need to be better. I'm just saying you won't change Russian's mind overall on the subject of stopping the genocide by doing that.

  19. #22139
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Russia shown plenty of this "might" during their inept Ukraine invasion. Entire world was watching. Regardless, not sure if China is even considering any move like that. What would they gain from it? Peaceful, willing Russia vassalization is ongoing anyway.
    It do not show might, it show weakness, Russia is trying as hard as they can and it still a stalmate. What will China gain? What did Russia gain by move the border in Georgian and Krimera? Then peaceful vassalization was a possibility.

    No I do not think China will do somthing, they have their own internal problems, but I did not think Russsia would invade either.

  20. #22140
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Oh, I definitely agree with that. There're plenty of good Russians out there, and we need to be better. I'm just saying you won't change Russian's mind overall on the subject of stopping the genocide by doing that.
    I know, and I agree. What the russians think doesn't matter, this is really an issue of how we see ourselves. How we treat our worst enemies is not a reflection of them, but a reflection of us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •