So they cant even beat Ukraine but somehow people are expected to show them respect? What a joke.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I'd not bet the farm on that. Look I know putin probably has someone in mind, but being the heir apparent and actually getting into power are two different things, just ask Trotsky, Beria and a whole slew of heirs that had "mysterious" accidents...
    Or just look at history outside of Russia when a heir apparent got to impatient and had to much general support.
    - Lars

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    on a meaningful note: doesn't this whole Ukraine affair illustrate that the US is also a paper tiger? Besides the strength boasting, it claims its intel and secret service capabilities are top of the world. But up until this war, it assumed Russia was a strong army. That's evidently not good intel.
    Quite the contrary I'd say.

Whatever happens to Ukraine, it is not all that important to the US. What is important is that they are able to directly weaken their enemy, crush their economy, rally the world against them and test their new weapon systems against a real military power. Even if Russia manages to eventually conquer all of Ukraine, it will take several years, and will cost them most of their equipments. They will never recover from that.

Russia thought they would flex their muscles and scare everyone with a big rapid win in Ukraine, so that all the other ex-USSR countries would follow. They failed miserably, and have no way out where they can look good now. I don't know if that is what the US intel was predicting, but the outcome is amazingly in the favor of the US right now.

Anytime you can give weapons to someone else so that they can shoot your enemies without any consequences, it is a sure win. They give a bunch of $150K Javelin to Ukraine, which they then use to destroy tanks worth $15M each, and no one is shooting back at the US.

That will be their cheapest war in history!!

I don't know if they tought it was going to happen that way, but if they did, it was brilliant. And if not, they won anyways.

Putin foreshadowing his use of nukes? This is a pretty ominous statement.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday there could be no winners in a nuclear war and no such war should ever be started.

Putin made the comment in a letter to participants of a conference on the nuclear nonproliferation treaty (NPT), more than five months into his war on Ukraine.

“We proceed from the fact that there can be no winners in a nuclear war and it should never be unleashed, and we stand for equal and indivisible security for all members of the world community,” he said.

International concern about the risk of a nuclear confrontation has heightened since Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24. In a speech at the time, Putin pointedly referred to Russia’s nuclear arsenal and warned outside powers against any attempt to interfere.

“Whoever tries to hinder us ... should know that Russia’s response will be immediate. And it will lead you to such consequences that you have never encountered in your history,” he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/p...shed-rcna40964

"And it will lead you to such consequences that you have never encountered in your history,” he said."
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

That article is just part of the OODA-loop he's trying to infect everyone with.
    "Will he or won't he!?!?!?!?" is what he wants you to keep thinking. Obsessing over. Making so that you can't take any decisions.

That's how he has ruled Russia for the past 20 years. Keep people in an OODA-loop so they become passive and believe there's no right or wrong, truth or falsehood anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    Quite the contrary I'd say.

Whatever happens to Ukraine, it is not all that important to the US.
    That is false Russia has invaded several of their neighbors to no response, Ukraine possesses a lot of natural resources we can exploit. At the end of this war we will pretty much own the country using debt diplomacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    That is false Russia has invaded several of their neighbors to no response, Ukraine possesses a lot of natural resources we can exploit. At the end of this war we will pretty much own the country using debt diplomacy.
    Unless they go the Lenin route and say "this new Russia is not responsible" for what the old Russia did.

I think Ukraine being a direct neighbour to the EU is a bigger factor then their natural resources.
    (which is not to say that their resources are not a consideration)
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I think it's also "a lot of white people dying on TV" that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I think Ukraine being a direct neighbour to the EU is a bigger factor then their natural resources.
    If resources were that big of a consideration we'd have intervened after crimea. That poster just looks at everything through the lens of "America Bad!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    That plays into it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    If resources were that big of a consideration we'd have intervened after crimea. That poster just looks at everything through the lens of "America Bad!"
    Who says it's America bad? government acts in whatever drives their interest and I rather see the world for what it is then some made up fairy land where we are the good guys here. The natural resources of Crimea and the separate regions are not the main prize in this war, bread basket diplomacy is also a thing China is currently using their considerable stock pile as leverage.

If Putin had done a small incursion instead of going for the whole pie we probably would have reacted the same as before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well the press hasn't been subtle when it comes to pointing out that difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think it's more of a "take care of your neighbors" thing - something many states around the world, whining about how bad the West is, fails at. Take care of your neighbors! Meanwhile many flee to the West... go figure.

If Putin had done a small incursion instead of going for the whole pie we probably would have reacted the same as before.
    Possibly. I would hope we would have been wiser then as well, but we didn't learn much from Georgia and Crimea.

It's also interesting to compare this war with General Shirreff's (fmr DSACEUR - so it does indicate NATO and UK thinking) "War With Russia"; where a piece of Ukraine is just swallowed without problem, and even the Baltic States are conquered but with the insurgency that people thought we would see in Ukraine.

I also wonder if the President have read it - including the end.

The US Senate has voted 95-1 to add Sweden and Finland to NATO. Sole no vote was Josh Hawley, while Rand Paul voted present.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The US Senate has voted 95-1 to add Sweden and Finland to NATO. Sole no vote was Josh Hawley, while Rand Paul voted present.
    Has Josh Hawley ever found a hill he's not willing to die alone on?

Though massive fucking laughs about Rand Paul voting present like the spineless sack of shit he's always been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Though massive fucking laughs about Rand Paul voting present like the spineless sack of shit he's always been.
    Jan 6th during the insurrection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Jan 6th during the insurrection.
    Yeah...Capital Hill..heh that's good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    7 countries have yet to start, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Turkey. All the others have voted and deposited or are awaiting royal or presidential approval (a few only need to still deposit.). Let's hurry up, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    7 countries have yet to start, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Turkey. All the others have voted and deposited or are awaiting royal or presidential approval (a few only need to still deposit.). Let's hurry up, yeah?
    Turkey and possibly Hungary are in no hurry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Turkey and possibly Hungary are in no hurry.
    Yeah, I know.

In other news, I remember learning about this practice in elementary/first year of secondary ('88-'89) really back to the Sovjet Union eh?