Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Even if we assume they aimed for a more "legitimate" target, hitting foreign officials selling weapons doesn't exactly seem the thing to do as they, technically, aren't party to the war, are civilians and shouldn't be targeted.
    So this reason doesn't actually make it any better.

BTW, wasn't there supposed to be a special meeting of the Duma yesterday? Anything come from that? I know Roscosmos got new leadership and that NASA and Roscosmos announced a new agreement on integrated crews on their respective spaceflights.
    Everything that came out of Russia yesterday seemed to be about that with the old leader being transfered to donbas for some official position.

Even if we assume they aimed for a more "legitimate" target, hitting foreign officials selling weapons doesn't exactly seem the thing to do as they, technically, aren't party to the war, are civilians and shouldn't be targeted.
    So this reason doesn't actually make it any better.

BTW, wasn't there supposed to be a special meeting of the Duma yesterday? Anything come from that? I know Roscosmos got new leadership and that NASA and Roscosmos announced a new agreement on integrated crews on their respective spaceflights.
    It seems it was aimed at internal matters, instituting 100 new laws that further crack down on the populace and instituting a new youth movement that might as well be the Putlerjugend.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...oup-Russia-ont

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Everything that came out of Russia yesterday seemed to be about that with the old leader being transfered to donbas for some official position.
    Kinda sounds they "promoted" him away.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    It seems it was aimed at internal matters, instituting 100 new laws that further crack down on the populace and instituting a new youth movement that might as well be the Putlerjugend.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...oup-Russia-ont
    The pioneers? Didn't the Soviets have those as well? But I bet Gherkin, Jerky...whatever his name is, that FSB guy who started this whole mess in 2014, isn't very happy about no formal declarations of war.

The pioneers? Didn't the Soviets have those as well? But I bet Gherkin, Jerky...whatever his name is, that FSB guy who started this whole mess in 2014, isn't very happy about no formal declarations of war.
    I don't think pioneers ever went away, really. They were essentially boy/girlscouts, and were in fact created after the Russian Imperial scout movement, although after the fall of USSR they were no longer supported on government level, and political and religious propaganda in schools is constitutionally banned (as if this has ever stopped anyone), leaving only their teaching survival skills and general good behaviour and formed and financed by schools themselves.

Now, this new organization is supposedly voluntary, but there is an expression in Russia and, I imagine, other post-Soviet states, of something being "voluntarily-compulsory", meaning supposedly voluntary, actually compulsory, but you're supposed to act as if you volunteered, except everybody knows that you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladier View Post
    Now, this new organization is supposedly voluntary, but there is an expression in Russia and, I imagine, other post-Soviet states, of something being "voluntarily-compulsory", meaning supposedly voluntary, actually compulsory, but you're supposed to act as if you volunteered, except everybody knows that you didn't.
    As a little sidenote for people born in more free countries how "voluntarily-compulsory" worked: the state controls who is allowed to get higher education and who gets which job. You might choose not to participate in "voluntary" organisations, but you'll never get into university and you'll never get the job you actually want.

In slighty more bizarre news in this already very bizarre year, Russia is drawing up plans to build their own game engine, in case Epic & Unity pull out of the country.

Kommersant sources say potential for this kind of state response germinated in a behind-closed-doors meeting between presidential administration officials and reps from the Russian video game industry in May. With Epic blocking in-game commerce in Russia and Unity “pausing relationships” with entities connected to the Russian government following the invasion of Ukraine, some fear local studios may at some point lose access to vital development tools entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    In slighty more bizarre news in this already very bizarre year, Russia is drawing up plans to build their own game engine, in case Epic & Unity pull out of the country.
    MoskvaEngine supports resolutions up to SVGA and requires an ibm compatible 486 processor and 8mb ram. And a gas heated stove.

Considering the quality of most Russian made games I don't think any game company has anything to worry about there if they'll be like Postal 3 or various MMOs.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2022-07-16 at 12:44 PM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

You know, I sometimes wonder if this whole ordeal is just an insanely stupid and stupidly insane plan to produce domestique analogues rather than rely on easily accessible foreign products.

Especially after finding out that the whole "Russian world" thing started just as a benign marketing strategy involving convincing the Russian diaspora abroad to buy Russian exported goods in order to give the newly-capitalist Russia a niche on the world market, concocted by former followers of a somewhat cultish Soviet "methodological movement".
    Last edited by Vladier; 2022-07-16 at 01:29 PM.

Kinda sounds they "promoted" him away.
    Sure, the way Stalin promoted Zhukov to Siberia after WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Odessa. Siberia would have been too obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Russia has admitted to the terrorist strike the other day, but as usual they lie, saying they eliminated a meeting between Ukrainian officials and foreign weapon suppliers. Yeah, that 3 year old down syndrome girl and the other 2 kids were involved in weapons supplies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...orce-officials
    Not much different than when ISIL takes credit for a car bomb is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Odessa. Siberia would have been too obvious.
    Siberia, Odesa, what's the difference? But yeah, like Zhukov.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I think you mean the Odessa Military District.

Siberia, Odesa, what's the difference? But yeah, like Zhukov.
    I'm sure you knew, but considering the current situation it's important to remember that Odessa is in Ukraine - and not occupied; whereas Siberia is in Russia.

Basically the entire Odessa Military District from Russia and USSR is now part of southern Ukraine (occupied and otherwise) and Moldovia.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I'm sure you knew, but considering the current situation it's important to remember that Odessa is in Ukraine - and not occupied; whereas Siberia is in Russia.

Basically the entire Odessa Military District from Russia and USSR is now part of southern Ukraine (occupied and otherwise) and Moldovia.
    I knew, yes, at the time it was one country of course...but of course Odesa was a lot more agreeable than Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    saw the kid who got murdered by russians. Disgraceful. Sure shackler will be back to tell us how necessary it is soon
    Shilcker : "Why would America do this ?"

The battalions apparently will consist of roughly 400 men each aged between 18 and 60. They will belong to various branches of service including motorized rifle, tank, and naval infantry, but also signals and logistics. Recruits are not required to have prior military service and will undergo only 30 days of training before deployment to Ukraine.
    This is just meat for the grinder...

Edit: source:

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...and-battalions

This is just meat for the grinder...

Edit: source:

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...and-battalions
    I wonder how much "volunteering" vs "volun-told" is going on here. Very telling that Russia is having to "conscript" more units to fight in Ukraine. Just shows the only reason the West doesn't get into this and make it end in a week is Russia has nukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I wonder how much "volunteering" vs "volun-told" is going on here. Very telling that Russia is having to "conscript" more units to fight in Ukraine. Just shows the only reason the West doesn't get into this and make it end in a week is Russia has nukes.
    From my understanding: the areas are voluntold, and the actual people going are actual volunteers if you're from a poor minority or a poor area then going to die in a war might be attractive if the secondary benefits, family taken care of, being a veteran etc. are outweighing the risks.