Nothing happened at the Airbase in Crimea, just a small accident with some bombs:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/s...10780180447235
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-08-09 at 10:24 PM.

And that's just a parking lot outside the airfield. Satellite from 4 hours before the attack showed at least 37 jets and 6 helicopters on the ground there. Including some of their most advanced stuff. Hopefully a lot of them are at the least damaged.

And why isn't Amnesty protesting Russia putting a millitary airfield right beside tourists on holidays?

Herald of the Titans
    Read one tweet saying there was one fatality in that “accident”

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    And why isn't Amnesty protesting Russia putting a millitary airfield right beside tourists on holidays?
    Ukraine ain't cutting checks, yo.

Seriously, I generally support the AA cause, but they're continuing to eat lots of well deserved shit sammiches for that bullshit that they still haven't apologized for. I just hope they can find some humility and apologize, because they do quite a bit of actual good work from what I know.

They went the politicians sorry not sorry route. We are sorry if people got angered by our report (but we aren't changing it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Read one tweet saying there was one fatality in that “accident”
    If that is the truth then they are VERY lucky. That could've easily be many more.

I did see that tweet as well though, 1 dead 5 injured.

You know, russia can't even admit that Ukraine did this because, according to their OWN propaganda, russia has destroyed all HIMARS systems and ammunitions. Well done...
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-08-09 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Speculation flying around that it may have been drones that attacked the airbase.
    I assume their range isn't that huge so it would mean there are teams inside Russian territory launching these attacks.
    Or the frontline has pushed close enough to Crimea that they can take off from Ukrainian territory and start hitting Russian military targets in Crimea.

If that's the case I would expect the Russians to evacuate the Black Sea Fleet from Sevastopol so they don't lose what's left of their fleet.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

If Russia is saying it, it's a lie.

At least 1 su-24 looks to be destroyed and given it was in a line of 6 planes parked side by side there is a good chance the others are damaged, if not destroyed as well.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1557082387087081473

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...-spokesperson/

Unsurprisingly, Steven Segal seems to be stanning for big daddy Putin.

“It definitely looks like a rocket,” Seagal is reported to have said.
    I know he's an action star and worked as a cop and shit, but is he an explosives expert as well?

Apparently not -

“The experts could not definitively say what caused the damage, but they pointed to a lack of shrapnel marks and craters and only minimal damage to internal walls in the available visuals of the aftermath,” the Post reported. “Instead, there were visible signs of an intense fire, which is at odds with damage caused by the most common HIMARS warhead.”
    However...

“The interesting thing is that one of the killed Nazis is a Nazi who just started talking a lot about Zelensky,” Seagal added, “and that Zelensky is responsible for the orders about torture and other atrocities that violate not only the Geneva War Convention, but are also crimes against humanity.”
    Russia just loves them some fictional Nazi's still, though.

"If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

It wasn't us, says Ukraine. (Cue "It wasn't me" by Shaggy)

Ok let's entertain that thought, if it wasn't the Ukrainians then who was it? Partisans as they suggest? Or, not impossible, it actually was russian incompetence, which they also suggest. Fact is an airbase got taken out and rather than capitalising on it the owner says 'my bad'!
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-08-10 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    If Russia is saying it, it's a lie.

At least 1 su-24 looks to be destroyed and given it was in a line of 6 planes parked side by side there is a good chance the others are damaged, if not destroyed as well.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1557082387087081473

They were actually fairly spaced out according to sat images, so the Russian version ( that changed couple of times ) of ordnance mishandling and then fuel depot fire is bullocks to be honest.

It was probably not ATACMS, Ukraine had a decent program for missiles and cruise missiles like the Hrim-2 SRBM 280-500km and Korshun Cruise Missile with ranges up to 700km (which is pretty much a copy of a Soviet Kh55 which Ukraine has the know how to manufacture) funding is available so is the technical data and with war time there is hardly any bureaucracy or they simply converted Neptunes (280km) to a land attack variant, long range strike capability without any backlash from Russia towards the West.
    Last edited by Kante; 2022-08-10 at 04:59 AM.

There's speculation that it might have been Hrim-2 that took the Crimean base out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrim-2

Given that there were two simultaneous massive explosions some distance apart after the base was already smoking from a number of places sort of rules out the 'accident' theory. And locals said there were a dozen large explosions.

The destroyed su-24 (which cost 24-25 million back in '97) was one of these 6 planes.

Odds aren't good for the others around it.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2022-08-10 at 05:54 AM.

Could it be that the West is finally learning how to play the game? Strike at russia and then just deny everything?

"Little green drones on their holiday spontaneously destroyed an airfield."

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Could it be that the West is finally learning how to play the game? Strike at russia and then just deny everything?

The fact that the target of the attack denies the attack happened does help of course.

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    It wasn't us, says Ukraine. (Cue "It wasn't me" by Shaggy)

Ok let's entertain that thought, if it wasn't the Ukrainians then who was it? Partisans as they suggest? Or, not impossible, it actually was russian incompetence, which they also suggest. Fact is an airbase got taken out and rather than capitalising on it the owner says 'my bad'!
    Breeding mistrust within Russia would be another potent strategy, one that's far harder for "propaganda" to dispel. I'd imagine that Russian troops already see the rather stark difference between what's being sold back home and what they're actually experiencing. So now not only do they have to worry about being blown up on the front lines, they have to worry about being blown up where they thought they were safe. The enemy effectively switches from being the Ukrainians to also including a nebulous, faceless enemy they can't identify and that can strike them anywhere and that might be among them.

A good way to get already disillusioned troops to surrender, desert, or just plain stop caring. And all the internal propaganda in the world that paints a rosy picture back home (though I don't imagine that "we blew up our own airplanes by accident" is a particularly great rallying cry) can't change what the troops perceive, and they're the ones that actually have to do the fighting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

Were there even a hint at that I think Russia would be leaning into that as hard as possible. They'll clearly make things up whenever it suits them, so I think even an iota of truth to "we're actively being attacked by NATO" would instantly become their new talking point.

I can't imagine morale is great within Russia, regardless of what any "polls" that people are forced to answer "yes I support the war" or risk getting disappeared say. A sudden "holy effin ess, the west is attacking us and we have proof! Rally to defend great motherland, comrade!" would probably get the Russian public much more on board. Certainly moreso than "whoops! We blew up our own stuff again!" would do.

For a sort of parallel, look at the United States in Vietnam. People's perception of the war that was being propped up by propaganda started to sour immensely when it became clear that Vietnam posed absolutely zero existential threat to the United States and people started to seriously inquire why the hell America was there. But if Vietnam had staged some sort of Attack on (what was considered) American soil? They would have been able to fervently rally people back to the cause.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Breeding mistrust within Russia would be another potent strategy, one that's far harder for "propaganda" to dispel. I'd imagine that Russian troops already see the rather stark difference between what's being sold back home and what they're actually experiencing. So now not only do they have to worry about being blown up on the front lines, they have to worry about being blown up where they thought they were safe. The enemy effectively switches from being the Ukrainians to also including a nebulous, faceless enemy they can't identify and that can strike them anywhere and that might be among them.

A good way to get already disillusioned troops to surrender, desert, or just plain stop caring. And all the internal propaganda in the world that paints a rosy picture back home (though I don't imagine that "we blew up our own airplanes by accident" is a particularly great rallying cry) can't change what the troops perceive, and they're the ones that actually have to do the fighting.
    Yeah, as I mentioned earlier (I think) russia can't even admit that Ukraine hit them there unless they want to admit they lied earlier. Per their propaganda anything long range the Ukrainians had was destroyed so either they admit they lied about that OR they admit incompetence. Choosing incompetence makes more sense than admitting to lying as that would make some people wonder what else they lied about, which isn't very useful for putin.

So damaging the morale might indeed be an objective and after the Sevastopol attack and now this I'd consider that a valid thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Were there even a hint at that I think Russia would be leaning into that as hard as possible. They'll clearly make things up whenever it suits them, so I think even an iota of truth to "we're actively being attacked by NATO" would instantly become their new talking point.

I can't imagine morale is great within Russia, regardless of what any "polls" that people are forced to answer "yes I support the war" or risk getting disappeared say. A sudden "holy effin ess, the west is attacking us and we have proof! Rally to defend great motherland, comrade!" would probably get the Russian public much more on board. Certainly moreso than "whoops! We blew up our own stuff again!" would do.

For a sort of parallel, look at the United States in Vietnam. People's perception of the war that was being propped up by propaganda started to sour immensely when it became clear that Vietnam posed absolutely zero existential threat to the United States and people started to seriously inquire why the hell America was there. But if Vietnam had staged some sort of Attack on (what was considered) American soil? They would have been able to fervently rally people back to the cause.
    russia is the boy who cried wolf. Nobody would give a shit.

Okay, this might be going a little bit conspiracy theory, but bear with me.

So we believe that there has been corruption as every level of the Russian military. Budgets for upkeep not being spent on upkeep, but instead being sent off to buy yachts and houses. So a lot of the materials of war that are supposed to be available and ready to use, really aren't as a result. We also know that the upper echelons won't be happy if the result of that is them not getting the resources they are supposed to.

So you're in charge of a base that is supposed to have a certain level of ammunition available. The top brass ask for that amount to be sent. You know you've only got half of that, tops, and what's there isn't in good condition. Do you a) pass what you have, and fess up to the rest being missing? or b) fake a Ukrainian attack that "destroys" the ammunition, so you can only pass half of what you were supposed to have?

Pure speculation on my part. But Ukraine seems to be hitting a LOT of places that are on the limits of their range. Could it be cover-ups by people that have been fleecing money from the Russian military for years?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.