Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Not to mention the economic damages. China is still highly dependent on Taiwainese microchips for its tech sector (as is the world entire) and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Invasion means a serious disruption of the supply at best, and this best assumes the Chinese can just capture the fabs intact and get them to work without too many issues, which is quite unlikely to say the least. If the fabs are seriously sabotaged, damaged or even destroyed China, and the world, are in for very rough times, and China being so integrated to the world economy means they don't really want to recklessly mess with it.

I don't think an invasion of Taiwan is realistic anytime soon. They serve the CCP better as a saber-rattling target than as anything else. Invasion is neither feasible nor worth it for them.
    It is not a secret Taiwan will destroy their facilities if invaded, making entire endeavour futile. China can posture all they want, it's all empty threats. They have no means of stopping the sabotage, no means of efficiently crossing the sea, would not want to test USA etc. Basically their entire army was improved in past decades, but is still completely untested. It's all another dictator delusional dream about uniting the nations. Pretty sure that current status quo is preferred by everyone.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-09-11 at 07:39 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

people are so confident Putin is such a fucking pussy he would both cow to Jinping as if he were his superior, and that he'd rather just take the way out in silent defeat than do anything actually crazy now.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    people are so confident Putin is such a fucking pussy he would both cow to Jinping as if he were his superior, and that he'd rather just take the way out in silent defeat than do anything actually crazy now.
    Ye, people who actually live and operate in real world and are not constantly under delusions coming from their disturbed minds.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Ye, people who actually live and operate in real world and are not constantly under delusions coming from their disturbed minds.
    HERE is the thing though: if he has DOES have little will or drive to continue a genocidal war he started, then why did he even start it at all? It was basically all for nothing top to bottom.

It’s Time to Prepare for a Ukrainian Victory

Over the past six days, Ukraine’s armed forces have broken through the Russian lines in the northeastern corner of the country, swept eastward, and liberated town after town in what had been occupied territory. First Balakliya, then Kupyansk, then Izium, a city that sits on major supply routes. These names won’t mean much to a foreign audience, but they are places that have been beyond reach, impossible for Ukrainians to contact for months. Now they have fallen in hours. As I write this, Ukrainian forces are said to be fighting on the outskirts of Donetsk, a city that Russia has occupied since 2014.

The biggest shock is not Ukraine’s tactics but Russia’s response. “What really surprises us,” Lieutenant General Yevhen Moisiuk, the deputy commander in chief of the Ukrainian armed forces, told me in Kyiv yesterday morning, “is that the Russian troops are not fighting back.”

More than that: Offered the choice of fighting or fleeing, many of them appear to be escaping as fast as they can. For several days, soldiers and others have posted photographs of hastily abandoned military vehicles and equipment, as well as videos showing lines of cars, presumably belonging to collaborators, fleeing the occupied territories. A Ukrainian General Staff report said that Russian soldiers were ditching their uniforms, donning civilian clothes, and trying to slip back into Russian territory.

The Ukrainian security service has set up a hotline that Russian soldiers can call if they want to surrender, and it has also posted recordings of some of the calls. The fundamental difference between Ukrainian soldiers, who are fighting for their country’s existence, and Russian soldiers, who are fighting for their salary, has finally begun to matter.

--------------
    Long article

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

Over the past six days, Ukraine’s armed forces have broken through the Russian lines in the northeastern corner of the country, swept eastward, and liberated town after town in what had been occupied territory. First Balakliya, then Kupyansk, then Izium, a city that sits on major supply routes. These names won’t mean much to a foreign audience, but they are places that have been beyond reach, impossible for Ukrainians to contact for months. Now they have fallen in hours. As I write this, Ukrainian forces are said to be fighting on the outskirts of Donetsk, a city that Russia has occupied since 2014.

The biggest shock is not Ukraine’s tactics but Russia’s response. “What really surprises us,” Lieutenant General Yevhen Moisiuk, the deputy commander in chief of the Ukrainian armed forces, told me in Kyiv yesterday morning, “is that the Russian troops are not fighting back.”

More than that: Offered the choice of fighting or fleeing, many of them appear to be escaping as fast as they can. For several days, soldiers and others have posted photographs of hastily abandoned military vehicles and equipment, as well as videos showing lines of cars, presumably belonging to collaborators, fleeing the occupied territories. A Ukrainian General Staff report said that Russian soldiers were ditching their uniforms, donning civilian clothes, and trying to slip back into Russian territory.

The Ukrainian security service has set up a hotline that Russian soldiers can call if they want to surrender, and it has also posted recordings of some of the calls. The fundamental difference between Ukrainian soldiers, who are fighting for their country’s existence, and Russian soldiers, who are fighting for their salary, has finally begun to matter.

--------------
    Long article
    I'm curious if buildings/civilian centers/infrastructure begin going kaboom by left behind explosives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I'm curious if buildings/civilian centers/infrastructure begin going kaboom by left behind explosives.
    Ukraine is going to have a long term issue with land mines in the regions that Russia operated in long after this war is over, that's one thing that's for certain.

And thus, the myth of great Russian army shatters completely.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-09-11 at 09:03 PM.

--------------
    Long article
    Normally I'd call this skinning the bear before killing it, but coupled with the deluge of news going this way the last week or so and even the Russian media and political figures not being fully on-board the affair anymore looks like, it does seem the offensive is few things short of fully routed.

If so, then hats off to the Ukrainians. I did not expect them to be able to do this regardless of the ineptitude of Russian forces. Putin's gamble looks to have failed and sadly it'll have a lot of consequences for people in Russia itself, but the Ukrainians still got the rawest deal by far in the long-term. Economy likely in tatters unless West sends tons of money and aid, mines everywhere, refugees leaving the country, thousands if not tens of thousands dead, and there's no certainty that the rowdy neighbor won't be raring for another party in a couple decades.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Normally I'd call this skinning the bear before killing it, but coupled with the deluge of news going this way the last week or so and even the Russian media and political figures not being fully on-board the affair anymore looks like, it does seem the offensive is few things short of fully routed.

If so, then hats off to the Ukrainians. I did not expect them to be able to do this regardless of the ineptitude of Russian forces. Putin's gamble looks to have failed and sadly it'll have a lot of consequences for people in Russia itself, but the Ukrainians still got the rawest deal by far in the long-term. Economy likely in tatters unless West sends tons of money and aid, mines everywhere, refugees leaving the country, thousands if not tens of thousands dead, and there's no certainty that the rowdy neighbor won't be raring for another party in a couple decades.
    Remember, Putin gave them until Sept 15th to get more Ukraine land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

what's gonna happen if they don't? So 4 days for the actual answer, but just speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    what's gonna happen if they don't? So 4 days for the actual answer, but just speculate.
    Absolutely jack shit except for more land being liberated by Ukraine, hopefully giving the tinpot dictator an ulcer from the stress he must be under in the meanwhile.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm all for Ukraine kicking Russia out - in fact I'm even all for turning the gas station of the world into an actual gas station for the world, by force

But I still can't believe that a nation like Ukraine, who is fighting with lots of untrained personal, is able to kick another's nation, who is also fighting with untrained personal, so hard.

I just hope they remain careful and don't make any mistakes in a rush to end this.

Is the equipment they find actually working btw? Or mostly piles of shit and steel glued together?

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm all for Ukraine kicking Russia out - in fact I'm even all for turning the gas station of the world into an actual gas station for the world, by force

But I still can't believe that a nation like Ukraine, who is fighting with lots of untrained personal, is able to kick another's nation, who is also fighting with untrained personal, so hard.

I just hope they remain careful and don't make any mistakes in a rush to end this.

Is the equipment they find actually working btw? Or mostly piles of shit and steel glued together?
    I'll paraphrase The Godfather II:

"The soldiers (Russians) are paid to fight; the rebels (Ukrainians) aren't. That tells you the rebels can win."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The counter-offensive wasn't done with untrained troops. These were the troops who were being trained over the last six months in place like the UK. Unlike Russia, which gave its troops 2 weeks training and threw them into combat, Ukraine trained theirs and built up a powerful force with donated armour to be deployed when needed.

It is thought Ukraine trained up 3 divisions this way. One is in Kherson, the other just routed the Russians in Kharkiv. Which leaves a third unaccounted for.

- - - Updated - - -

102 new units on the daily Oryx update, if which 95 are captures.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rebel44CZ...FXtekyAPEiJVAg

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'll paraphrase The Godfather II:

"The soldiers (Russians) are paid to fight; the rebels (Ukrainians) aren't. That tells you the rebels can win."
    Technically, the Ukrainian soldiers are also being paid to fight. The difference is that they are fighting for more than just money unlike the Russian soldiers; Ukrainian soldiers are fighting for their home and families and to stay free of Russian oppression.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Shortly after Ukraine proved it had a chance to resist Russia's assault a lot of NATO countries started training large batches of Ukrainian soldiers, Many of them have since returned after six months of training. The majority of the ukrainian soldiers you see in videos from the conflict area are wearing relatively fresh modern combat gear, modern helmets and modernized Polish AK's with picatinny rails. The vast majority of Ukrainian soldiers on the eastern line where traditionally trained, training inspired from Soviet military doctrine. And some with very little training, like local volunteers.

It's highly likely that large amounts of these freshly trained soldiers have fortified the lines, and are part of the recent pushes into occupied territory.

About the condition of the equipment, a captured soldier said during an interview that where he was stationed the tanks that could fire where fortified in stationary positions and the ones they drove around in where broken, his own tank's auto-loader didn't work.
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2022-09-11 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

102 new units on the daily Oryx update, if which 95 are captures.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rebel44CZ...FXtekyAPEiJVAg
    Upside for the Ukrainians is that most of the Russian stuff they capture, once they have serviced/repaired it, they can repaint where necessary with Ukrainian markings and use them right back against the Russians.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

When bullets are flying and shells or rockets and exploding around you conviction matters a whole lot. Ukraine is fighting for survival. The Russians who are there don't even want to be there, they have no great desire to die for the politicians back in the Kremlin.

Its no real surprise they are turning and running rather then fighting.
    Tho this level of disaster is quite something.
    Last edited by Gorsameth; 2022-09-11 at 11:14 PM.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Ukraine is reporting russian units in Kherson are negotiating surrendering their weapons.

https://liveuamap.com/

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-units...111100694.html
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-09-12 at 12:09 PM.