Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic and Republican U.S. senators introduced legislation on Wednesday that would designate Russia as a state sponsor of terrorism, a label pushed for by Ukraine but opposed by President Joe Biden's administration.

anyone wanna explain the bolded bit? I know Joe Biden always clamored for Putin having a way out but didn't know it went this far.
    Designating russia as a state sponsor of terrorism would sever the last diplomatic channels between russia and the US, I know a lot of people don't care, but I'd rather they have *some* diplomatic contact than none.

anyone wanna explain the bolded bit?
    Sure - https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...sm-2022-09-14/

It's in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Designating russia as a state sponsor of terrorism would sever the last diplomatic channels between russia and the US.
    I believe Vladimir Putin himself commentated somewhere around last year as far as US-Russia relations go, it's already in "complete ruin" so that seems pretty moot.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

I believe Vladimir Putin himself commentated somewhere around last year as far as US-Russia relations go, it's already in "complete ruin" so that seems pretty moot.
    It might seem that way to you, but those with an IQ above 70 realize that such policies aren’t magically disappeared if a regime change happens in Russia.

I can very much imagine the cost/benefit analysis does not add up here, for Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I can very much imagine the cost/benefit analysis does not add up here, for Biden.
    yeah I know this isn't a Biden thread, but I must be dense for speculating if a guy that expressedly wants an out for Putin and fistbumped bin Salman is morally dubious.

I just hate the fact his administration is in the way of this designation in particular.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

Another Putin Ally Dead After ‘Suffocating’ on Business Trip

Vladimir Nikolayevich Sungorkin, 68, was editor-in-chief of the Russian state newspaper, Komsomolskaya Pravda. According to the newspaper, Sungorkin died “suddenly” after showing signs of “suffocation” during the trip on Wednesday.

“It happened absolutely suddenly, nothing foreshadowed. We were in the village of Roshchino. We were driving, we were already making our way towards Khabarovsk, we planned to get there in the evening today, and from there to Moscow. All was good,” his colleague Leonid Zakharov, who had accompanied him on the business trip, wrote in a story for KP.

Sungorkin’s passing comes amid a string of mysterious deaths of top Putin allies this month. Most recently, Ivan Pechorin, aviation director for Russia’s Far East and Arctic Development Corporation, was reported dead after allegedly “falling from a boat” in Vladivostok, according to local Russian media outlets.

‐-----‐--
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

Vladimir Nikolayevich Sungorkin, 68, was editor-in-chief of the Russian state newspaper, Komsomolskaya Pravda. According to the newspaper, Sungorkin died “suddenly” after showing signs of “suffocation” during the trip on Wednesday.

“It happened absolutely suddenly, nothing foreshadowed. We were in the village of Roshchino. We were driving, we were already making our way towards Khabarovsk, we planned to get there in the evening today, and from there to Moscow. All was good,” his colleague Leonid Zakharov, who had accompanied him on the business trip, wrote in a story for KP.

Sungorkin’s passing comes amid a string of mysterious deaths of top Putin allies this month. Most recently, Ivan Pechorin, aviation director for Russia’s Far East and Arctic Development Corporation, was reported dead after allegedly “falling from a boat” in Vladivostok, according to local Russian media outlets.

‐-----‐--
    I mean...if you want to float the conspiracy theory that someone is eroding putin's allies to send him a message I'm onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

‐-----‐--
    yeah, you cross Putin in any way, you die or worse. It's not special by now, but always illustrates the terrifying scope of his power and influence.

I wonder why rich and influential Russians are not hiding in a European winter home with private security and refusing to meet face to face with anyone.
    Tho I supposed those have been confiscated as part of sanctions.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I wonder why rich and influential Russians are not hiding in a European winter home with private security and refusing to meet face to face with anyone.
    Tho I supposed those have been confiscated as part of sanctions.
    Maybe a case of: "I didn't think the panthers would eat MY face", said the woman who voted for the party for panthers eating peoples' faces. (in other words they naively thought they'd be safe?)

today on CNN it's just been 24/7 shitting on Russia with Ukraine's latest successes. Completely different vibe from Fox News it's worth noting.

To think this all started when a bunch of ""elite"" Russian paratroopers dropped in an open airfield just to get mowed down like varmints.

You'd think that'd of set off some alarm bells.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

The Ukrainians captured a t62 in the great Kharkiv rout.

https://mobile.twitter.com/uaweapons...EV8Jjr3sQSrvTQ

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    To think this all started when a bunch of ""elite"" Russian paratroopers dropped in an open airfield just to get mowed down like varmints.

You'd think that'd of set off some alarm bells.
    quite funny that they sent their best troops on a suicide mission.

also funny that in the latest push Russia lost a bunch of its troops that were designed to fight NATO.

The latest stage of the war started on 24 February, if NATO had been involved it would be over on Feb 26. Russia is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    quite funny that they sent their best troops on a suicide mission.

also funny that in the latest push Russia lost a bunch of its troops that were designed to fight NATO.

The latest stage of the war started on 24 February, if NATO had been involved it would be over on Feb 26. Russia is a joke.
    The dumbest part about their paratroopers is that even if the supply convoys and ground troops weren't halted they still wouldn't have reached the airport in time to help the paratroopers.

today on CNN it's just been 24/7 shitting on Russia with Ukraine's latest successes. Completely different vibe from Fox News it's worth noting.
    Thats because Fox News is also supported by Russia, just like Trump.

Daily Oryx update adds another 82 lost Russian units, including 58 more captured. And they apologised for forgetting to add the t62.

https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status...1R2rPeYGyK20MQ

has Russia actually accomplished anything so far in this war besides killing/torturing civilians and non-combatants?

has Russia actually accomplished anything so far in this war besides killing/torturing civilians and non-combatants?
    Yes. They've completely eviscerated the myth of the might of the modern Russian military and their advanced hardware and tactical training. And pointlessly harmed their economy. And they pushed nations like Sweden and Finland towards NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes. They've completely eviscerated the myth of the might of the modern Russian military
    I mainly blame America for propagating that myth, to begin with. Based solely on the fact the US claims it has the best intelligence agencies out there, but couldn't assess the strength (as in none) of Russia at all.

The US is what always historically hyped Russia up as a boogeyman with the projection of tough guy and badass culture.