Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    so do you people really believe China isn't in it to help Russia take down Ukraine?
    It's not in China's interest to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

so Russia's only ally in arms to fund their war machine is Iran? They sold them drones recently that have been viciously effective in Ukraine.
    They've been easily hacked and/or broken down. If anything Iran gave them duds. Either by design or because their drones are terrible, or both.

Putin admits China has 'questions' and 'concerns' over its invasion of Ukraine after his meeting with Xi. If he is willing to admit that then it probably went beyond just questions and concerns. China has some major internal economic problems at the moment and the war is simply making them worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Putin admits China has 'questions' and 'concerns' over its invasion of Ukraine after his meeting with Xi. If he is willing to admit that then it probably went beyond just questions and concerns. China has some major internal economic problems at the moment and the war is simply making them worse.

I can't be the only one that looked at the centerpiece and thought, "That's oddly sorta coffin-shaped."

Also, amusing that it seems that Xi and Putin are the only two unmasked in the room. And that while everyone else appears to largely be relatively close together, they each have a pretty big personal bubble around them. Optics are fun.

it's been said time and again, but with renewed hostilities, it's never a tired topic:

I see China wanting Russia to win in Ukraine just to gauge their invasion of Taiwan. If Russia gets its ass kicked in Ukraine, they will probably not commit to the idea for the foreseeable future; thus explaining their apparent displeasure when discussing progress today. If they win, China will feel they can succeed and go for it.

It's of very important note since the West is collectively backing Ukraine against Russia. China can assess this situation for how a battle to take over Taiwan would go, as it would put China against the West as well.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

Putin's chef, the head of Wagner (though in reality Putin calls the shots) has been videoed in a Russian prison addressing prisoners there telling them either they fight or their children do, and if they fight for 6 months with Wagner then the get a full pardon. If they get released to fight but don't then they will be executed.

The only way that a mercenary company (which is technically illegal under Russian law) can be actively recruiting from prisons and making the promises they are is if they were sanctioned by the state to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

So how good is Russia's economy going? So good they had a 1.5 trillion ruble deficit over summer and now they are administrating an across the board cut of 10% in budgetary expenses. Except for the military. Everything else, healthcare, education, transportation, infrastructure is getting a big cut in their budgets.

- - - Updated - - -

First it was Azerbaijan and Armenia and now Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are fighting.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...rce=reddit.com

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

First it was Azerbaijan and Armenia and now Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are fighting.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...rce=reddit.com
    Well if Armenia invoking CSTO version of art 5 and Russia going "can't help." wasn't enough evidence of how much of a terrible state the so called treaty is. Having two members fighting each other pretty much seals it.

In NATO terms this would be if two balkan NATO members ended up in conflict, after the US went into a war it couldn't win against Canada, while at the same time Sweden (using them since technically not in NATO yet.) attacked Norway with Denmark cheering them on and the US deciding it can't help Norway and rest of NATO not wanting to.

Not the best analogy I know. Though the two stans geographical location could have Xi send someone over to make a few deals to stop the fighting there and get two new nations in China's sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Well if Armenia invoking CSTO version of art 5 and Russia going "can't help." wasn't enough evidence of how much of a terrible state the so called treaty is. Having two members fighting each other pretty much seals it.

In NATO terms this would be if two balkan NATO members ended up in conflict, after the US went into a war it couldn't win against Canada, while at the same time Sweden (using them since technically not in NATO yet.) attacked Norway with Denmark cheering them on and the US deciding it can't help Norway and rest of NATO not wanting to.

Not the best analogy I know. Though the two stans geographical location could have Xi send someone over to make a few deals to stop the fighting there and get two new nations in China's sphere.
    Let's not act as if the CSTO wasn't in place for russia and russia alone, but this will effectively kill that treaty. Though you can argue it was already dead when none of the CSTO countries came to russia's aid in Ukraine.

so do you people really believe China isn't in it to help Russia take down Ukraine?
    You really need to see Russia and China's alliance for what it is.

Their only common ground, is that they're sick of US presence in their region. Other than that, theyre advisaries in recent history, culturally very different and neighbouring regional powers.

While Russia probably would support a Chinese all out war with Taiwan, China is far more pragmatic and only need Russia for their own ambitions, and as a chea gas station that will also back them in international political matters.

If China could reclaim Vladivostok without a nuclear threat they would.

And keep in mind, that Putin sold this to Xi Jinping as a quick and easy special operation. Not a long war that showed how China's partner in defence, is utter shit.

China will need Russia to watch its back, while it will eventually get to gnawing on Taiwan. But now is not the time, so China gives Russia some careful support, because it's not worth for them to commit too hard there at the time, especially given Russian incompetence and what would seem like Russia getting mired into a hopeless situation.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

It's a bit odd, those appear to be individually buried rather than in a mass grave. So not exactly a mass grave. Not that it matters much of course, still horrible.

Although the article says that the graves were marked with crosses and it appears most died from shelling or lack of medical attention.

I'm just confused as mass graves are usually hidden and unmarked, these were hidden but not unmarked.

India joining China in giving Russia the big WTF U DOIN signs. Multipolarity going well for Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I can't be the only one that looked at the centerpiece and thought, "That's oddly sorta coffin-shaped."
    No I was also wondering who died.
    Putin khuliyo

As of now the latest explanation for the war is that "the West wanted to break up Russia, so they invaded Ukraine to stop it". What will it be tomorrow? Or is this the delusion the final reason we get to hear? Regardless, my brain is cracking under the immense lapses in logic of that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    India joining China in giving Russia the big WTF U DOIN signs. Multipolarity going well for Russia.
    When India and China agree that something you are doing is unwise it may be time to re-evaluate your life's choices.

Apparently putin was treated as a second rate leader at the SCO, including made to wait by other leaders and seated between smaller powers.
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-09-16 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Apparently putin was treated as a second rate leader at the SCO, including made to wait by other leaders and seated between smaller powers.
    for a while now, Putin seems to be the opposite of badass. He was made to look like a bitch by Erdogan too a few months back. By all accounts, with his image of strength, he should be asserting his authority over these people and telling them what to do and what HE wants

but instead he looks like he's gonna get hung dry if he ever talks out of line in these meetings
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    China will need Russia to watch its back, while it will eventually get to gnawing on Taiwan.
    I think if anything, this whole debacle has shown how useless Russia would be in watching China's back.

- - - Updated - - -

for a while now, Putin seems to be the opposite of badass. He was made to look like a bitch by Erdogan too a few months back.
    "Being a badass" and "looking like a bitch" are traits that only matter in politicians to people like you, who have a laughably tenuous grasp of how international relations wor.k

whatever became of Russia's claim of importing North Korean cannon fodder to the Ukraine frontlines?

whatever became of Russia's claim of importing North Korean cannon fodder to the Ukraine frontlines?
    Like so many claims, threats and bold actions: nothing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    North Korea probably doesn't want to declare war against Ukraine to hasten anything bad coming their way eventually...Because that's what it is, you send your military troops to genocide a sovereign nation, you declare war against them.