1. #24941
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,488
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    really don't in an authentic way, man. If you were protesting a dictator and some secret police force came by and tortured you for a day before letting you go with a warning, are you gonna protest again? Hypothetically speaking.

    I don't think so.
    I sure wouldn't be stopping at protesting, at that point, I guess. If it comes down to supporting such a regime and its violent abuses, or opposing it, I'll take the latter.

    The alternative is essentially saying that their torturing me was the right thing to do and I support them having done so. Which is obviously unreasonable.

    THAT's why I just pin all the blame on Putin.
    Literally no different than trying to blame the whole blame for the Nazi Reich on Hitler and not the millions of Germans who slavishly supported his regime.

    Sometimes, it's okay to recognize that Nazi fucks were Nazi fucks.


  2. #24942
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-10-11 at 07:32 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  3. #24943
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    You can be a badass without being a good/great person.

  4. #24944
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    Nobody has claimed he's a saint. Welcome to the world of morality, there are lots of shades of grey.

  5. #24945
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Nobody has claimed he's a saint. Welcome to the world of morality, there are lots of shades of grey.
    War is hell. Everyone is at least some shade of fucked up, even the people who are ostensibly the good guys.

  6. #24946
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    Nice strawman. The logic goes "Navalny isn't a nazi in this metaphor" not "is the ultimate badass".
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  7. #24947
    I mean in conclusion, I just genuinely don't believe you guys mean what you say when you claim you're gonna go all-out striking if you were tortured or oppressed by a dictator. Navalny even has the privilege of being unable to be killed by Putin despite everything he's gone through.

    You only live once and these regimes won't think twice about killing you, a normal pedestrian.

    Well, that's why I at least pity the Russian people. Most people have just all-out considered them one in the same now. Doesn't matter who you are.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  8. #24948
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    You only live once and these regimes won't think twice about killing you, a normal pedestrian.
    And here you are, acting as their cheerleader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  9. #24949
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I mean in conclusion, I just genuinely don't believe you guys mean what you say when you claim you're gonna go all-out striking if you were tortured or oppressed by a dictator. Navalny even has the privilege of being unable to be killed by Putin despite everything he's gone through.

    You only live once and these regimes won't think twice about killing you, a normal pedestrian.

    Well, that's why I at least pity the Russian people. Most people have just all-out considered them one in the same now. Doesn't matter who you are.
    300.000 russian men have fled to foreign countries, outside putins grasp.

    I don’t see them protesting from safety either.

  10. #24950
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    really don't in an authentic way, man. If you were protesting a dictator and some secret police force came by and tortured you for a day before letting you go with a warning, are you gonna protest again? Hypothetically speaking.
    The problem with this is the simple fact that if you chose to resist once that leader is entrenched into the system that they can just throw you into prison without cause, it's too late to be effective unless a huge chunk of the population also rises up.

    It's like going to the Dentist when you wake up at night because your teeth hurt like hell, it's way too fucking late to get out of this number painlessly.

    And while the West certainly carries quite the blame in enabling Putin, it's the job of the Russian people first and foremost to take care of their democracy at the end of the day.
    They didn't do that and now the rest of the world, especially Ukraine, is suffering the consequences for it - and just like with bad teeth, that shit won't come out painlesssly.

  11. #24951
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I mean in conclusion, I just genuinely don't believe you guys mean what you say when you claim you're gonna go all-out striking if you were tortured or oppressed by a dictator. Navalny even has the privilege of being unable to be killed by Putin despite everything he's gone through.

    You only live once and these regimes won't think twice about killing you, a normal pedestrian.

    Well, that's why I at least pity the Russian people. Most people have just all-out considered them one in the same now. Doesn't matter who you are.
    If Iranian teenage girls can do it, so can you.

    Also, open a history book if you are in school already. Eastern Europe about 30 years ago.

  12. #24952
    but I mentioned the Iran revolt. They're just getting slaughtered right now, and no one in the West is going to help them.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  13. #24953
    The difference is that you only think about yourself, while those Iranian schoolgirls think about their country.

  14. #24954
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The difference is that you only think about yourself, while those Iranian schoolgirls think about their country.
    Yuppie is pro-dictator. Their avatar yesterday was putin. Their signature celebrates them. Their posting history is a litany of fawning over them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  15. #24955
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,488
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I mean in conclusion, I just genuinely don't believe you guys mean what you say when you claim you're gonna go all-out striking if you were tortured or oppressed by a dictator. Navalny even has the privilege of being unable to be killed by Putin despite everything he's gone through.

    You only live once and these regimes won't think twice about killing you, a normal pedestrian.

    Well, that's why I at least pity the Russian people. Most people have just all-out considered them one in the same now. Doesn't matter who you are.
    You're doing nothing here but expressing your own endorsement for such authoritarian abuses, admitting openly that you'd be a collaborator.

    And that you can't understand why anyone else wouldn't.

    And that's just really kind of sad.


  16. #24956
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're doing nothing here but expressing your own endorsement for such authoritarian abuses, admitting openly that you'd be a collaborator.

    And that you can't understand why anyone else wouldn't.

    And that's just really kind of sad.
    Nah just can't see why people don't really pity pedestrians not wanting to die. I mean yeah it's brave and all, but no one is denying the Iranian protestors are being shredded right now. It'd be the same for the Russian people that'd try.

    And also, I blame the West as well. If we really cared about what's right, we'd arm these uprisings and protestors. But we don't.

    And then there's the matter of the aftermath. Say the Russians rip apart Putin after dragging him out, what happens then? It'd just be anarchy like Ghadaffi.

    Like there's no good outcome. So trying to start a revolution isn't always so great.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-10-11 at 09:54 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  17. #24957
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,488
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Nah just can't see why people don't really pity pedestrians not wanting to die. I mean yeah it's brave and all, but no one is denying the Iranian protestors are being shredded right now. It'd be the same for the Russian people that'd try.
    People were already dying, dude. That's the point, and what you willfully ignore because you'd rather be comfortable.

    And also, I blame the West as well. If we really cared about what's right, we'd arm these uprisings. But we don't.
    It's nearly impossible to arm insurgencies within authoritarian regimes. Because of the authoritarian regime. It's not comparable to Ukraine, because there's a whole lot of easy ways to deliver materiel directly to Ukraine, because it's a sovereign nation unto itself and Russia does not control its borders.

    And then there's the matter of the aftermath. Say the Russians rip apart Putin after dragging him out, what happens then? It'd just be anarchy like Ghadaffi.
    Such anarchy's often preferable to the boot on your neck. It's also much easier for external influence to be applied at that point. You're acting like successful revolutions don't happen, and that's just obviously false.


  18. #24958
    Over 9000! Santti's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    9,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Yuppie is pro-dictator. Their avatar yesterday was putin. Their signature celebrates them. Their posting history is a litany of fawning over them.
    Why the fuck does anyone give him any attention is beyond me. He made it abundantly clear that he is not to be taken seriously about anything years ago. You know the saying about playing chess with pigeons.

    You tell me which is worse; the pigeon, or the guy insisting on trying to play chess with it, for gods knows how long, when every attempt has resulted in shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

  19. #24959
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Why the fuck does anyone give him any attention is beyond me. He made it abundantly clear that he is not to be taken seriously about anything years ago. You know the saying about playing chess with pigeons.

    You tell me which is worse; the pigeon, or the guy insisting on trying to play chess with it, for gods knows how long, when every attempt has resulted in shit.
    The real question is, "Why is that account still active and allowed to make posts?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  20. #24960
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If Iranian teenage girls can do it, so can you.

    Also, open a history book if you are in school already. Eastern Europe about 30 years ago.
    So what about the logic of being alive at all costs is the one thing that all humans should pursue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •