1. #25081
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I think you mean exporter. Probably just a typo/brainfart.
    Oops, yeah obviously, Russia doesn't have to buy grain, gas or fuel.

  2. #25082
    High Overlord Vulturia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    It's one thing to be cheering for them to be getting their asses kicked in the know, yeah. But to be watching live footage of human beings literally getting split in half from explosions or crawling with all their limbs blown off and bleeding out while screaming in agony - and then viewers cheering "fuck those orcs!" - isn't that kind of straight-up fucked up?

    I've been following combat footage hubs and logs and it's been a little more than disturbing how up-in-arms people are over it.
    That's quite easy to say when you aren't the one being blown up, when it's people far away who are getting tortured, murdered and executed. All invaders have a choice to go to jail or surrender. They instead came to kill ukrainians for being ukrainians.
    Go ahead and feel bad for the poor products of the system and hate the system instead of the people. Ignoring the personal agency ruskis have, all of which they use to kill and torture, or alternatively, passively support it with inaction.
    We can feel bad for those ruskis who either actively fight to change their country's imperialism (extremely few), or those who at least actively reject their ruskism in all forms (change name, say that they are not russian, also almost nobody). We can feel a little bit bad for the ruskis who at least actively protest against the war.
    I will take the gamble that a random dude with limbs torn off is neither of these, and freely cheer for it, thank you.
    Players will no longer randomly suffer falling damage.

  3. #25083
    lol @ the Bonham Carter clan cousin getting nicked. Whenever you google aristocratic English families they are full of wrongun's. Always nice to see one eat shit. Now do George Osbourne.

  4. #25084
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    lol @ the Bonham Carter clan cousin getting nicked.
    An opaque statement so... Guy was arrested for violating sanctions for deripaska.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  5. #25085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    An opaque statement so... Guy was arrested for violating sanctions for deripaska.
    he holds a bunch of property in the UK for oleg. https://www.tatler.com/gallery/art-d...urrey-for-sale

    Hes been trying to flog it for a while. 4 other properties held too. Alot of English aristocratic families are involved in money laundering the foreign ultra rich.

  6. #25086
    thing I don't get is people love to throw shade at Russians for not launching an insurrection against Putin, and that because of that, they're complicit in whatever he does

    But look at Iran right now. Those officials have no qualms about killing civilians like open season. Just straight-up machine gun fire and grenades right into the crowd. Complete massacre right now.

    Can you really blame peasants/civilians for not wanting to die like that? Especially when civilians have no arms/weapons.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  7. #25087
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    74,450
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    thing I don't get is people love to throw shade at Russians for not launching an insurrection against Putin, and that because of that, they're complicit in whatever he does

    But look at Iran right now. Those officials have no qualms about killing civilians like open season. Just straight-up machine gun fire and grenades right into the crowd. Complete massacre right now.

    Can you really blame peasants/civilians for not wanting to die like that? Especially when civilians have no arms/weapons.
    If you're out protesting that regime? Then you're not supporting it, obviously. You're one of the victims being potentially shot at.

    If you're not going to protest out of fear of being shot, or the like? That's where you're complicit with and supportive of that regime. Maybe out of fear rather than ideological preference, but you're still supporting them.

    It doesn't really matter, in the end, if you're the Nazi patriarch fingering your Jewish neighbours to be hauled off by the SS because you're a "true believer", or if you just want the Nazis to accept you and leave you in peace. What matters is that you're fingering Jewish neighbours and supporting the Nazi Reich. You're still a Nazi, in this example. Just one who has enough empathy to feel bad about it. But not enough empathy to stop.


  8. #25088
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    thing I don't get is people love to throw shade at Russians for not launching an insurrection against Putin, and that because of that, they're complicit in whatever he does

    But look at Iran right now. Those officials have no qualms about killing civilians like open season. Just straight-up machine gun fire and grenades right into the crowd. Complete massacre right now.

    Can you really blame peasants/civilians for not wanting to die like that? Especially when civilians have no arms/weapons.
    Though shit. Each nation has the leaders they deserve.

  9. #25089
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you're not going to protest out of fear of being shot, or the like? That's where you're complicit with and supportive of that regime. Maybe out of fear rather than ideological preference, but you're still supporting them.
    Like the other poster implied, it's easy to talk about these things when posters are not in on the action/out there. I mean, you don't even have to propagate the Russian torture conspiracies - just look at Myanmar right now. They torture every dissenter to the bone before killing them for proof of what happens when you oppose a tyrannical regime.

    If I were in a regime like Putin's and unable to leave, I would just keep my head down for sure. Doesn't make me a shitty person or complicit in anything.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  10. #25090
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Like the other poster implied, it's easy to talk about these things when posters are not in on the action/out there. I mean, you don't even have to propagate the Russian torture conspiracies - just look at Myanmar right now. They torture every dissenter to the bone before killing them for proof of what happens when you oppose a tyrannical regime.

    If I were in a regime like Putin's and unable to leave, I would just keep my head down for sure. Doesn't make me a shitty person or complicit in anything.
    But it does. Life isn't fair. Sometimes you don't get to live long happy life AND be a good person.

  11. #25091
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    74,450
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Like the other poster implied, it's easy to talk about these things when posters are not in on the action/out there. I mean, you don't even have to propagate the Russian torture conspiracies - just look at Myanmar right now. They torture every dissenter to the bone before killing them for proof of what happens when you oppose a tyrannical regime.

    If I were in a regime like Putin's and unable to leave, I would just keep my head down for sure. Doesn't make me a shitty person or complicit in anything.
    This is why I used the Nazi Reich as a historical example. Because historians are all in pretty clear agreement that the average German citizen, the average member of the German military in that period, was just as much a Nazi as Goering or Goebbels or Eichmann. That is the banality of evil; that literally all it takes is "I was just following orders" or "I just went along with it". That's what evil is. You didn't have to be an SS captain or the head of a death camp to be an evil Nazi, the vast majority fit that bill, and were fully supportive of the Nazi Reich and everything it stood for.*

    What you're saying is that you'd have been a Nazi, in Nazi Germany. And you want us to believe that doesn't make you a "shitty person". Do you not see how that logic does not remotely follow?

    * The caveat I'll allow on this is that they did not carry personal responsibility for the actions of the worst of them, but they do share the systemic responsibility for the horrors committed on their behalf and with their support. That's a matter of how much liability they personally carry, legally speaking, however, not their moral character.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-10-11 at 07:06 PM.


  12. #25092
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is why I used the Nazi Reich as a historical example. Because historians are all in pretty clear agreement that the average German citizen, the average member of the German military in that period, was just as much a Nazi as Goering or Goebbels or Eichmann. That is the banality of evil; that literally all it takes is "I was just following orders" or "I just went along with it". That's what evil is. You didn't have to be an SS captain or the head of a death camp to be an evil Nazi, the vast majority fit that bill, and were fully supportive of the Nazi Reich and everything it stood for.*

    What you're saying is that you'd have been a Nazi, in Nazi Germany. And you want us to believe that doesn't make you a "shitty person". Do you not see how that logic does not remotely follow?
    really don't in an authentic way, man. If you were protesting a dictator and some secret police force came by and tortured you for a day before letting you go with a warning, are you gonna protest again? Hypothetically speaking.

    I don't think so.

    THAT's why I just pin all the blame on Putin.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  13. #25093
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    really don't in an authentic way, man. If you were protesting a dictator and some secret police force came by and tortured you for a day before letting you go with a warning, are you gonna protest again? Hypothetically speaking.

    I don't think so.

    THAT's why I just pin all the blame on Putin.
    Yea… guess that’s why we see mass protests from the 300k russians that fled the draft, right?

  14. #25094
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    74,450
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    really don't in an authentic way, man. If you were protesting a dictator and some secret police force came by and tortured you for a day before letting you go with a warning, are you gonna protest again? Hypothetically speaking.

    I don't think so.
    I sure wouldn't be stopping at protesting, at that point, I guess. If it comes down to supporting such a regime and its violent abuses, or opposing it, I'll take the latter.

    The alternative is essentially saying that their torturing me was the right thing to do and I support them having done so. Which is obviously unreasonable.

    THAT's why I just pin all the blame on Putin.
    Literally no different than trying to blame the whole blame for the Nazi Reich on Hitler and not the millions of Germans who slavishly supported his regime.

    Sometimes, it's okay to recognize that Nazi fucks were Nazi fucks.


  15. #25095
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-10-11 at 07:32 PM.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  16. #25096
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    You can be a badass without being a good/great person.

  17. #25097
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    Nobody has claimed he's a saint. Welcome to the world of morality, there are lots of shades of grey.

  18. #25098
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Nobody has claimed he's a saint. Welcome to the world of morality, there are lots of shades of grey.
    War is hell. Everyone is at least some shade of fucked up, even the people who are ostensibly the good guys.

  19. #25099
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    by the logic of you guys, Navalny is the ultimate badass despite being a pretty bad person.

    Guy got poisoned, marched back into his country, has been tortured for some 1.5 years and is still going to oust Putin.
    Nice strawman. The logic goes "Navalny isn't a nazi in this metaphor" not "is the ultimate badass".
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  20. #25100
    I mean in conclusion, I just genuinely don't believe you guys mean what you say when you claim you're gonna go all-out striking if you were tortured or oppressed by a dictator. Navalny even has the privilege of being unable to be killed by Putin despite everything he's gone through.

    You only live once and these regimes won't think twice about killing you, a normal pedestrian.

    Well, that's why I at least pity the Russian people. Most people have just all-out considered them one in the same now. Doesn't matter who you are.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •