1. #25261
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    So, two more weeks and then the mobilization drive will end.

    https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/st...ZjWLyMvDA&s=19

    Not that the troops will be hugely useful.
    It is just going to switch from partial to full mobilization.

  2. #25262
    Legendary! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    6,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Obviously, but I don't think he wants to continue this one too long, as it's gonna be costly in terms of manpower and economy. Even his hardline support is questioning it, so there may be some truth behind it.
    But what then? If he stops recruitment, he stops sending meatbags to the frontline, allowing Ukraine easier advance. Not sure he will allow that.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  3. #25263
    So apparently a power plant in Belgorod got hit.

    I wonder if it was the Russians again blowing themselves up, like the residential building.

  4. #25264
    Legendary! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    6,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It is just going to switch from partial to full mobilization.
    He is in a such a fucking bind. Don't recruit - help Ukraine, recruit more - break more the unwritten deal with citizen and risk unrest.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  5. #25265
    Warchief Iphie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    He is in a such a fucking bind. Don't recruit - help Ukraine, recruit more - break the unwritten deal with citizen and risk unrest.
    The later already happened, but the unrest will be more widespread if he recruits more. You're right though, he's in a bind. He's losing prestige, authority and credibility by the second.

  6. #25266
    wondering why Putin is even trying to uphold an illusion, at this point. Why doesn't he just go full Kim Jong Un on his populace and rule with an open iron fist and conscript anyone he feels like?
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-10-14 at 06:20 PM.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  7. #25267
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    14,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It is just going to switch from partial to full mobilization.
    Let's be honest, it's already full mobilization, they just don't want to say it. Which may indeed be what you're insinuating.

  8. #25268
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    wondering why Putin is even trying to uphold an illusion, at this point. Why doesn't he just go full Kim Jong Un on his populace and rule with an open iron fist and conscript anyone he feels like?
    You do realise that KJU keeps up illusions as well within North Korea. No dictator rules with a "I fuck you all over bitches." it's nearly always "I love you guys, I'm protecting you from the big bad over there."

  9. #25269
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    You do realise that KJU keeps up illusions as well within North Korea. No dictator rules with a "I fuck you all over bitches." it's nearly always "I love you guys, I'm protecting you from the big bad over there."
    i thought the difference, according to the people that hate Russia, are Russians genuinely believe Putin/love him whereas with something like NK, everyone knows it's a lie but keep their heads down out of fear.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  10. #25270
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,922
    North Koreans lack internet or various means to connect to the world outside their country. They are taught that the world outside North Korea is even worse off then them and that the Kim family is using divine powers to keep them safe.
    Also cue the “ we had first partial mobilization, what about second partial Mobilzation?” Memes

  11. #25271
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    i thought the difference, according to the people that hate Russia, are Russians genuinely believe Putin/love him whereas with something like NK, everyone knows it's a lie but keep their heads down out of fear.
    In NK they will torture your entire family if they as much as suspect you of anti-government sentiment. russia isn't as bad.

  12. #25272
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,971
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Vladimir, can we have machine gun?
    No, Sergej, we have machine gun at home.
    Machine gun at home:
    Built for winter invasions

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-mu...nk-russia-war/

    Poo baby Elon Musk, very upset that he's been criticized for weighing in on a war he understands nothing about and repeating Russian talking points, now wants the US to fund the use of Starlink.



    He's claiming $20M a month in costs which isn't a lot for him. Surely he's a defender of Democracy and freedom and would gladly spend some of his immense wealth to support a nation being invaded by genocidal authoritarians, no? It's not like the US hasn't already picked up a lot of the bill for getting Starlink active, so I wouldn't be surprised if the US is already funding some of the continued operations and he's just making shit up like he enjoys doing.

    Either way: Elon Musk sure seems a bit like a Putin simp.
    Starlink is definitely subsidized by the US and he wouldn't be allowed to use it in Ukraine without a greenlight. Man is in his scamming bag. Probably borrowed too much from himself again and his books are not looking hot. Could be a lot of stuff with that man but you can count on him not being honest about the situation. It's definitely not as simple as 'we can no longer afford Starlink, which we don't pay for on our own anyway'.


    The word is that Russia is jamming it. Not impossible but highly doubtful. We know by now there's a difference what Russia can technically do on paper and what they have the resources to do in real life.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    wondering why Putin is even trying to uphold an illusion, at this point. Why doesn't he just go full Kim Jong Un on his populace and rule with an open iron fist and conscript anyone he feels like?
    The kind dictatorship the Kim's have takes years to rollout. It also only works when completely isolated from the rest of the world. Putin wants Russia to be major world player, not his coven off in the corner.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  13. #25273
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Probably borrowed too much from himself again and his books are not looking hot.
    You mean like $44B for a social media company? : P

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The word is that Russia is jamming it. Not impossible but highly doubtful. We know by now there's a difference what Russia can technically do on paper and what they have the resources to do in real life.
    I'm sure they're trying to jam it, but I question how successful their efforts are. Are they still communicating via unsecured radios and shit?

  14. #25274
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Putin wants Russia to be major world player, not his coven off in the corner.
    do you think he still has a realistic contingency plan for that?
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  15. #25275
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    B
    Starlink is definitely subsidized by the US and he wouldn't be allowed to use it in Ukraine without a greenlight. Man is in his scamming bag. Probably borrowed too much from himself again and his books are not looking hot.
    Tesla has lost about 1/2 its value from its peak last november. Ended trading @ 204 today, peaked @ 411 (adjusting for the split) on nov 4. He's going to have to sell even more stock as soon as he's allowed to so he doesn't risk overleveraging from his twitter buy he's going to be forced to go through with and people are selling now because they know a drop is coming when he's finally allowed to sell again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  16. #25276
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    24,971
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    do you think he still has a realistic contingency plan for that?
    Become a major player? No Russia is far too corrupt. Self sabotage is in its DNA until they can get rid of the this thing where they pretend they are still the USSR. One of the reasons they fumbled so hard in this war because Putin did not realize how much people were skimming off the top.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  17. #25277
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Become a major player? No Russia is far too corrupt. Self sabotage is in its DNA until they can get rid of the this thing where they pretend they are still the USSR. One of the reasons they fumbled so hard in this war because Putin did not realize how much people were skimming off the top.
    I asked that if only because even now, Putin talks and acts in such a way he looks like he has a plan to come out on top somehow.

    There's no visible distress on his face or tone like there would be if he were threatened.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-10-14 at 09:39 PM.
    Lazarević: Are you a student of history, Mr. Drake? Nathan Drake: ...I've read a book or two. Lazarević: Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot - they were all GREAT men. But do you know why they prevailed? [beat] Because they had the will to do what other men could not. - Uncharted 2

  18. #25278
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I asked that if only because even now, Putin talks and acts in such a way he looks like he has a plan to come out on top somehow.

    There's no visible distress on his face or tone like there would be if he were threatened.
    You realise this man built his entire career on looking unperturbed?

  19. #25279
    Elemental Lord Santti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,864
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I asked that if only because even now, Putin talks and acts in such a way he looks like he has a plan to come out on top somehow.

    There's no visible distress on his face or tone like there would be if he were threatened.
    Of course he looks strong and like he has all the plans. He's a dictator; A strongman. That's their entire shtick. The regime is dependent on it, and he damn well knows it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  20. #25280
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Tesla has lost about 1/2 its value from its peak last november. Ended trading @ 204 today, peaked @ 411 (adjusting for the split) on nov 4. He's going to have to sell even more stock as soon as he's allowed to so he doesn't risk overleveraging from his twitter buy he's going to be forced to go through with and people are selling now because they know a drop is coming when he's finally allowed to sell again.
    And the thing is that this guy’s stocks would probably be doing just swimmingly if he shut the hell up on Twitter and just focused on his electric cars and spaceships.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •