10+ Year Old Account
    Ok this is interesting. Ukraine civilians have a app that you can send cordinates of a flying rocket/drones/helis/whatever to ukraine air defense.

Also....i realy facepalmed when i read this:
    https://www.gov.si/en/news/2022-10-2...stored-safely/
    https://english.sta.si/3097969/slove...rty-bomb-tweet
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Putler gave another speech which was Trumpian in its rambling incoherence and disconnect from reality. Everything is the West's fault, it is dying and trying desperately to cling to power, it is threatening everyone with nukes, they are denying people sovereignty, russia is stronger than ever, Ukraine is suffering 10 times the losses of Russia.

So basically massive projection and all you just need to reverse everything to get the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Putler gave another speech which was Trumpian in its rambling incoherence and disconnect from reality. Everything is the West's fault, it is dying and trying desperately to cling to power, it is threatening everyone with nukes, they are denying people sovereignty, russia is stronger than ever, Ukraine is suffering 10 times the losses of Russia.

So basically massive projection and all you just need to reverse everything to get the truth.
    You have the reverse of it. Russia was doing this long before Trump did so as POTUS, though Trump was already behaving this way before he entered politics and became a politician. Trump didn't pick up the trick from them, though I have no doubts that the Republican party writ-large has absolutely looked to Russia to learn how to achieve similar goals given that we're seeing the broader party repeat the Russian disinformation playbook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You have the reverse of it. Russia was doing this long before Trump did so as POTUS, though Trump was already behaving this way before he entered politics and became a politician. Trump didn't pick up the trick from them, though I have no doubts that the Republican party writ-large has absolutely looked to Russia to learn how to achieve similar goals given that we're seeing the broader party repeat the Russian disinformation playbook.
    I believe we call that "convergent dumb-assery" in the animal kingdom.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account

Is that why every autocracy has negative migration and the west has the highest? I guess people just prefer to live in areas that are dying, or dictators just don't like math.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2022-10-27 at 11:54 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account

His speeches are typically more geared for domestic purposes, in this case trying to quell Russian consternation about the draft and how poorly the war is going. I assume Russia is aware that for international consumption where we know the facts on the ground, the speech was completely detached from reality.

It was interesting that he once again mentioned Western "exceptionalism" as a gripe point. This is something he's mentioned in nearly every speech for many years. It seems like it's something he has personally been completely obsessed with. It was Bill Clinton or George W that first mentioned America being exceptional in a campaign speech playing to patriotism. Ever since then Putin it's been a constant point he mentions that he interpreted that as the West thinking it's "better" than Russia. He's even mentioned trips to the US where he saw poor neighborhoods and has brought that up in speeches since as proof of it not being true. The ridiculousness of it all being that the term was used in a campaign speech 20 years ago just trying to get a few votes, not as some sort of declaration of Western foreign policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I believe we call that "convergent dumb-assery" in the animal kingdom.
    It is actually a very deliberate convergent evolution of political thought from Putin's side. There was a time when he lamented that Russians didn't have a unifying ideology and then, in order to get himself some easy targets for inner political enemies he started talking US Republicans' political points with the whole "culture war", "cancel culture", "the gays are pedophiles" etc. In fact, Russian people were practically unaware of these things before he deliberately started talking about them and introduced them to our political discourse.

To give an example, before that he tried the "spiritual braces" thing which sounded absolutely stupid and was mostly quietly forgotten, but then there was a very specific poll about how Russians perceive homosexual rights and the results were that only 2% of the people were okay with them, so he went ahead with villainizing homosexual people. The same poll was made by the same government-aligned agency in 2021, and it showed that the positive attitude towards them actually rose (to 17%, I believe, not enough but that's still several times better, especially with constant drain on Europhile people), simply because propaganda introducing the problem to solve actually brought people's attention and allowed them to reflect on if they actually hated gays that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Is that why every autocracy has negative migration and the west has the highest? I guess people just prefer to live in areas that are dying, or dictators just don't like math.
    Well, you know, nature abhors a vacuum and all that. /s

Wtf happened here? I see 10 new pages but none accessible beyond the previous post...?

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Wtf happened here? I see 10 new pages but none accessible beyond the previous post...?
    Some poster got removed from the system but their posts haven't gone yet, only being hidden for now. The system will catch up at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some poster got removed from the system but their posts haven't gone yet, only being hidden for now. The system will catch up at some point.
    Ok, so who got removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Ok, so who got removed?
    Vegas8something apparently

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Vegas8something apparently
    Yo, what was the drama? I need info!
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yo, what was the drama? I need info!
    Someone's posts got removed after he was permabanned, and it kind of screws up a lot of threads. Nothing new, actually.

Ukraine seems to have struck the naval base at Sevastapol. russian MOD has said they shot down a whole lot of UAVs and a minesweeper took some minor damage. However other russian sources are saying it was a bit more serous and what was hit was the Admiral Makarov which replace Moskva as the new flagship when Moskva got promoted to submarine. Will have to wait and see what actually happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Someone's posts got removed after he was permabanned, and it kind of screws up a lot of threads. Nothing new, actually.
    Yeah. Not all that dramatic. Account deletion makes the threads dry-heave a little, and temporarily showing inaccessible pages in some threads. It corrects itself at some point.

Although, it's not just permabanning that triggers actual account deletion, right? Skroe got perma'd ages a go, and his posts are still here. Guess you need to do something rather bad for deletion, or have to ask the mods to do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/sta...69902196756480

Our resident russians need to be informed about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Yeah. Not all that dramatic. Account deletion makes the threads dry-heave a little, and temporarily showing inaccessible pages in some threads. It corrects itself at some point.

Although, it's not just permabanning that triggers actual account deletion, right? Skroe got perma'd ages a go, and his posts are still here. Guess you need to do something rather bad for deletion, or have to ask the mods to do it for you.
    Yeah you have to ask for it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/sta...69902196756480

Our resident russians need to be informed about this.
    You're lucky our resident ruZZians (note: they're different from russians) are always watching, even if on a perma-vacation.

You have no right to be this funny with this tweet, although!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Bans, permanent or not, never get an account deleted. The mods would rather retain the account for monitoring purposes, like being able to identify them if they're evading the ban. That's why permabans exist, rather than just account deletion. Account deletion is only at user request and, as noted, gets messy because the system's not really designed for it.

In what should be a surprise to no one , russia appears to be lying about the Sevastopol attack. Evidence seems to point to at least 3 warships being hit and not just 1 minesweeper.

Further proof of it being major is russia throwing a tantrum, labelling it a terrorist attack, accusing the UK of involvement and saying they are pulling out of the UN backed grain agreement.