Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Ukraine has claimed negotiations with Putin will never happen, but they're open to his successor any time.

They know Putin can't leave office without dying, so it's worrying if they said that with that in mind. Like they're hopeful he just disappears.
    They also know he won't negotiate or won't negotiate in good faith. So they send a message to those around him: "If you are bored of that war, if you remove that guy, we can negotiate".

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    They also know he won't negotiate or won't negotiate in good faith. So they send a message to those around him: "If you are bored of that war, if you remove that guy, we can negotiate".
    Isn't subtly advocating for, more or less, the murder of someone bad?

I remember when Lindsay Graham earlier this year just straight-up said he should be killed, he was condemned for it.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Isn't subtly advocating for, more or less, the murder of someone bad?

I remember when Lindsay Graham earlier this year just straight-up said he should be killed, he was condemned for it.
    They asking for the removal of a strategic asset. And the "death" of one person could save many lives.

And that guy was most probably condemned for it because the USA are known for extra judicial killing. The Ukrainians "asking" for it is not unusual, they are after all the most concerned by the situation.

Ohh no, why won't someone think of Putin's feelings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post

Also China telling Putin to knock it out with the Nuke talk also is due to China wanting to make financial plays in Europe. Telling Russia off, well that for eastern European nations is all "Hey maybe these guys aren't so bad after all. Let's make some deals."
    Obviously, but whether it's for financial gain or for genuine concern (which I am NOT discounting) the result is the same: putin got told by the senior partner to behave or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Plus the more Russia is hurting, the better it is for China. Russia bleeds, Russia falls more, China swoops in. Even better if this ends at any point, in the international poker game where everyone is cheating, who will Russia beg to so they can stay at any table? THE US? No. Europe? Hell no. The Global south? Unfortunately, they don't have the chips to help themselves. It's China, the more Russia bleeds, the more it becomes a vassal to China in the long term as it broken links to Europe. (One former Russian general stated Russia had to align with the west or become a Chinese vassal).

Also China telling Putin to knock it out with the Nuke talk also is due to China wanting to make financial plays in Europe. Telling Russia off, well that for eastern European nations is all "Hey maybe these guys aren't so bad after all. Let's make some deals."
    Back in 2017 the Chinese moved significant missiles to their border with Russia in Outer Manchuria. Far more aggressive move than anything NATO has ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Ohh no, why won't someone think of Putin's feelings?
    Russian state media already knows a lot of people want Putin dead, and cite it as a reason to stand united against the "onslaught" of Western powers.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Russian state media already knows a lot of people want Putin dead, and cite it as a reason to stand united against the "onslaught" of Western powers.
    Fuck the russian state media and fuck Putin.

There is your first problem, thinking that anything said by russian state propaganda has any basis in reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    There are people against poutine??? I get being lactose intolerant but you cannot deny gravy and cheese curds dammit!
    I'm lactose intolerant, and I'll gladly shit my brains out for good poutine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    There is your first problem, thinking that anything said by russian state propaganda has any basis in reality.
    I mean it is interesting in the sense of how you can understand what kind of world the Russian citizens live in. They believe it is real, and so, that is their reality.

I mean it is interesting in the sense of how you can understand what kind of world the Russian citizens live in. They believe it is real, and so, that is their reality.
    Pfft. They don't believe their media either. russia is a gigantic LARP where the people know the government is lying to them, but thanks to Stalin's eugenics program, they all go along with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russians know their government is lying straight to their faces, it's just a mix of them actually supporting Russian aggression and being craven enough to not actually do anything about how rotten their regime is, while simultaneously projecting this state of things onto how they imagine things must be in the rest of Europe.

British Intel is saying repairs to the Kerch bridge are unlikely to be finished before September 2023.

They really did a number on it.

British Intel is saying repairs to the Kerch bridge are unlikely to be finished before September 2023.
    Fixed that for you. By the time the repairs could be finished, either Russia will have already been kicked out of the Crimea, or Ukraine would have gone back and finished the job.

Either way, there is no way they are going to allow that link to Russia to remain. That bridge is toast.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Lot of chatter from russian sources and milibloggers that the order to withdraw from Kherson has been given. But then again they've said it before.

Lot of chatter from russian sources and milibloggers that the order to withdraw from Kherson has been given. But then again they've said it before.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63573387

Seems like Russia is retreating from Kherson. Not surprising, they are cut off and surrounded. And they are the best soldiers left to Russia.

i know it's a real war and all, but doesn't the fact russia retreating a LOT lately in many instances compromise their image of strength and never taking shit from anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Where the fuck have you been for the last 8/9 months? That image was shattered a long time ago.
    He's been crying because no nooks. There is one semi point here though: this isn't great for putin, having to vacate a newly annexed territory, offering unconditional negotiations and so on. We all know it's a bunch of baloney but it doesn't project strength regardless of whether or not it is in good faith.