1. #25941
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    If you can't see the difference between cheering for Ukraine and hope for their victory and not rejoice (like cheering) at the killings (but necessary) of Russian soldiers, that's on you.
    People tend to like when obvious bad guys are losing and/or being killed, it's not a surprise. This is akin to "Guys, don't cheer while Nazis are being killed."

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  2. #25942
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    People tend to like when obvious bad guys are losing and/or being killed, it's not a surprise. This is akin to "Guys, don't cheer while Nazis are being killed."
    Yeah, and that is primitive and barbaric and nearly next to the level actually committing the pillaging and such. We can cheer at Russia defeat, but should not at the killing of individuals, even Russian soldiers.

  3. #25943
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Yeah, and that is primitive and barbaric and nearly next to the level actually committing the pillaging and such. We can cheer at Russia defeat, but should not at the killing of individuals, even Russian soldiers.
    You can't have one without the other. You can't have Russia loosing w/o their soldiers deaths. So you want to cheer for their defeat, but not for the element that contributes most towards said defeat? Backwards logic and failed attempt at parading with some weird moral superiority.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-11-13 at 09:57 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  4. #25944
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    You can't have one without the other. You can't have Russia loosing w/o their soldiers deaths. So you want to cheer for their defeat, but not for the element that contributes most towards said defeat? Backwards logic and failed attempt at parading with some weird moral superiority.
    Not really, but not surprised you do not get the nuance.

  5. #25945
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Not really, but not surprised you do not get the nuance.
    Yes, yes. Everyone who doesn't get you is a "simple minded people". Feeling morally superior yet?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  6. #25946
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yes, yes. Everyone who doesn't get you is a "simple minded people". Feeling morally superior yet?
    How would you call someone that does not understand what is written clearly ?

  7. #25947
    The Lightbringer Pannonian's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    How would you call someone that does not understand what is written clearly ?
    You're not a native english speaker. If i claim something and a bunch of native english speakers don't understand it, I'd rather look at my own expression in a forgein language, than assume everyone else is stupid.

    But that takes some mental maturity, and a modicum of self reflection, and going by your post history, that may not be your strong suit...

  8. #25948
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    You're not a native english speaker. If i claim something and a bunch of native english speakers don't understand it, I'd rather look at my own expression in a forgein language, than assume everyone else is stupid.

    But that takes some mental maturity, and a modicum of self reflection, and going by your post history, that may not be your strong suit...
    Then tell me what you did understand of what I wrote ?

  9. #25949
    The Lightbringer Pannonian's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Then tell me what you did understand of what I wrote ?
    The fact you constantly tone police and shed crocodile tears for russian soldiers. Guess what, for the Ukraine to win this war russians HAVE to die. One will not work without the other. And you can blame this solely on Putin. It's not Ukraine that started this war, it's not Ukraine that is using the dissolution of Ukraine as war goal.

    Maybe you want people to done down on the jingoistic rhetoric? I can even understand that, but your posting history paints a picture of a guy constantly holding water for the russians aggressors. Maybe you don't want to, but this is the impression you leave here.

    3 years ago i ran into a similar problem, i made a thread which was worded in a way that left space for interpretation i never intended, was heavily attacked by people who i though twisted my words (e.g.: Endus), and then flailed for 10 pages. Took a breath, read my own stuff again, and understood why this happened, and that is my responsibility to express myself as succinct as i can, because its not the job of others to interpret my stuff.

  10. #25950
    Over 9000! zealo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Then tell me what you did understand of what I wrote ?
    Oh we understand what you write, people just aren't as dumb as to not understand what you're actually all about with the rhetoric you're pushing of laying the blame for this war on the west.

  11. #25951
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The fact you constantly tone police and shed crocodile tears for russian soldiers. Guess what, for the Ukraine to win this war russians HAVE to die. One will not work without the other. And you can blame this solely on Putin. It's not Ukraine that started this war, it's not Ukraine that is using the dissolution of Ukraine as war goal.

    Maybe you want people to done down on the jingoistic rhetoric? I can even understand that, but your posting history paints a picture of a guy constantly holding water for the russians aggressors. Maybe you don't want to, but this is the impression you leave here.

    3 years ago i ran into a similar problem, i made a thread which was worded in a way that left space for interpretation i never intended, was heavily attacked by people who i though twisted my words (e.g.: Endus), and then flailed for 10 pages. Took a breath, read my own stuff again, and understood why this happened, and that is my responsibility to express myself as succinct as i can, because its not the job of others to interpret my stuff.
    That is what happen when you interact with bad faith people.

  12. #25952
    The Lightbringer Pannonian's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    That is what happen when you interact with bad faith people.
    Well, claiming that "it's the problem of others!" is of course a way - i just doubt it is a way forward. Why not try it? To be honest, training to express myself in a more clear way didn't only help me in online discussion, but also in my professional life.

    Of course its your decision, but if you know why it happens and people point it out, the self righteous indignation becomes a bit grating.

  13. #25953
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    You're not a native english speaker. If i claim something and a bunch of native english speakers don't understand it, I'd rather look at my own expression in a forgein language, than assume everyone else is stupid.

    But that takes some mental maturity, and a modicum of self reflection, and going by your post history, that may not be your strong suit...
    I'm not a native speaker of English either, yet I do see a lot of deliberate misunderstanding or plain old willful ignorance on the part of native speakers, who then turn it around and claim that you weren't clear.

    It is of course up to us to make ourselves understood, but there's only so much you can do, at some point the fault is no longer with us. (and after 35+ years with this language as a secondary I'll be damned if someone makes the claim that I can't understand nuance.)

  14. #25954
    The Lightbringer Pannonian's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I'm not a native speaker of English either, yet I do see a lot of deliberate misunderstanding or plain old willful ignorance on the part of native speakers, who then turn it around and claim that you weren't clear.

    It is of course up to us to make ourselves understood, but there's only so much you can do, at some point the fault is no longer with us. (and after 35+ years with this language as a secondary I'll be damned if someone makes the claim that I can't understand nuance.)
    Well it is not fair, and as non native speakers we will always have a (slight) disadvantage, but what can you do? I mean, this is not a discussion board (especially politics) to convince other people. For most topics you will have 2 teams trying to score points vs. the other team, and bad expression is one of the easiest targets.

  15. #25955
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Well, claiming that "it's the problem of others!" is of course a way - i just doubt it is a way forward. Why not try it? To be honest, training to express myself in a more clear way didn't only help me in online discussion, but also in my professional life.

    Of course its your decision, but if you know why it happens and people point it out, the self righteous indignation becomes a bit grating.
    I can't make it clearer than we should not cheer for the death of individuals, even russian soldiers. But we should cheer for Russia defeat. Let me see where you see interpretation here. Obviously, the latter will lead to the former, aka russian soldiers death, but there is a large difference between wishing for it and it being a consequence of you cheering for Ukraine victory.

    And no, MMO-C is well known for being a nest of bad faith people who will willfully misunderstand what you are saying if you have the "bad luck" to not share their political view or agenda. I have this issue of interpretation only here, despite speaking to many native english speakers. Go figures.

  16. #25956
    The Lightbringer Pannonian's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I can't make it clearer than we should not cheer for the death of individuals, even russian soldiers. But we should cheer for Russia defeat. Let me see where you see interpretation here. Obviously, the latter will lead to the former, aka russian soldiers death, but there is a large difference between wishing for it and it being a consequence of you cheering for Ukraine victory.

    And no, MMO-C is well known for being a nest of bad faith people who will willfully misunderstand what you are saying if you have the "bad luck" to not share their political view or agenda. I have this issue of interpretation only here, despite speaking to many native english speakers. Go figures.
    But if you think that you will never get fair treatment here because you belong to the wrong side, why are you posting? Seriously, if the reality is like you claim (which i doubt tbh.) then you're only setting yourself up to fail.

    E.g.: I'd never post on Breitbart, because yeah... i can only loose there.
    Last edited by Pannonian; 2022-11-13 at 12:09 PM.

  17. #25957
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    But if you think that you will never get fair treatment here because you belong to the wrong side, why are you posting? Seriously, if the reality is like you claim (which i doubt tbh.) then you're only setting yourself up to fail.

    E.g.: I'd never post on Breitbart, because yeah... i can only loose there.
    What is the point to always discuss with people who are in agreement with you ? That's called an echo chamber.

  18. #25958
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Yeah, and that is primitive and barbaric and nearly next to the level actually committing the pillaging and such. We can cheer at Russia defeat, but should not at the killing of individuals, even Russian soldiers.
    Why shouldn't we be glad one there's less rapists, murderers, genocidal killers, and kidnappers around? I'm sorry, but I won't feel bad when one of them die, they had a chance to not do terrible things, but instead they decided to follow orders and many innocents have died. They chose to do those things and I'm okay being somewhat glad that they are gone.

    I won't feel bad for being okay with terrible people being gone, just like with Hitler, just like various abusive family members I had, and just like any other person like them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I can't make it clearer than we should not cheer for the death of individuals, even russian soldiers. But we should cheer for Russia defeat.
    Unfortunately those Russian soldiers, that shot at kids and innocents and bombed schools and hospitals I might add, need to die for Russia to lose.

    The only other way this is happening is if they fully surrender, pay for the damages and tragedies they caused, Putin is killed/tried, and potentially Russia being broken up.

    It's okay you feel bad for those dying, but unfortunately few can offer sympathy to soldiers that had no problem pulling the trigger and killing a kid, bombing a hospital, or raping someone before killing them.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2022-11-13 at 12:39 PM.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  19. #25959
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    The only other way this is happening is if they fully surrender, pay for the damages and tragedies they caused, Putin is killed/tried, and potentially Russia being broken up.
    You're going on this a bridge too far.

    If you're talking about the individual soldier, i agree that they should surrender but if you take it that far that they should pay for damages (which they obviously can't), axe Putin (which they can't because they sit in a PoW camp, and possibly get murdered if there's a prisoner exchange) and then on top of that also just watch or (actively) aid in the dissolution of their country, it's just stupid rhetoric.
    Because literally anything past surrendering is way beyond their control.

    With this sort of talk, you're just going to find even less soldiers surrendering, which is bad for Ukraine as well because they then have to fight and kill them.
    Anything past "surrender" needs to be negotiated with the Russian goverment, not its soldiers, and even then "you're getting broken up" isn't a basis to negotiate upon.

  20. #25960
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    You're going on this a bridge too far.

    If you're talking about the individual soldier,
    I'm not talking about individual soldiers doing that, I was talking of the whole of Russia.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •