Orban had been relying on Poland having his back in disputes with the EU, but that ran headlong into the fact Poland really doesn't like russia.

As for kherson, it's all just social media chatter so far. Lots of theories but nothing definitive and the Ukrainian authorities are very good about opsec so they aren't saying anything.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah regarding Kherson it would fly against every solid military principle for Ukraine, which has just barely taken over the west bank and thus needs time to set up forward logistical areas, to rush across the river.

Also how exactly? The bridges are destroyed. Pontons and barges are very vulnerable and create a bottleneck. I cannot see this ending well for Ukraine if they do it.

Most likely social media BS.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Yeah regarding Kherson it would fly against every solid military principle for Ukraine, which has just barely taken over the west bank and thus needs time to set up forward logistical areas, to rush across the river.

Also how exactly? The bridges are destroyed. Pontons and barges are very vulnerable and create a bottleneck. I cannot see this ending well for Ukraine if they do it.

Most likely social media BS.
    Unless russia took more casualties than expected of course, which we know didn't happen as russia suffered no casualties during the retreat ... Ehm, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Unless russia took more casualties than expected of course, which we know didn't happen as russia suffered no casualties during the retreat ... Ehm, right.
    the retreat was pretty orderly to be fair. walking across a pontoon bridge in the daylight.

saw the 'Putin signs decree that allows Russian army to mobilize foreigners that are just VISITING Russia.' seems mad if confirmed.

Mr snowden to the front.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    the retreat was pretty orderly to be fair. walking across a pontoon bridge in the daylight.

saw the 'Putin signs decree that allows Russian army to mobilize foreigners that are just VISITING Russia.' seems mad if confirmed.

Mr snowden to the front.
    lmao what?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    lmao what?
    https://news.yahoo.com/putin-signs-d...182700037.html

not sure if its just 'allows foreigners to fight in army' or 'allows foreigners to be conscripted/mobilized'.

Its already been happening. A number of central Asian citizens have been 'mobilised' even though they shouldn't have and Zambia is now wants explinations as to how one of their citizens who went to Russia on a scholarship to study ended up dead in Ukraine, having been by the looks of it 'recruited' by the Wagner SS after he ended up in prison.

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-signs-d...182700037.html

not sure if its just 'allows foreigners to fight in army' or 'allows foreigners to be conscripted/mobilized'.
    I saw just mentions that Russia allows foreigners to fight in russian army, not that they forcibly conscript them...like:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/11/14/7376300/

But then...

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/14/a...ntl/index.html

CNN

A Zambian student, jailed in Russia was killed during a battle in Ukraine, Zambia’s foreign ministry said Monday.

The student was a 23-year-old student the Zambian government had sponsored to study nuclear engineering at the Moscow Engineering Physics Institute.

The man was identified as Lemekhani Nathan Nyirenda by Zambia’s Foreign Minister Stanley Kakubo in a statement.

Russia dangles freedom to prisoners if they fight in Ukraine. Many are taking the deadly gamble.
    Nyirenda was convicted in 2020 of unspecified crimes in Russia and sent to prison for nine years and six months. He was serving his sentence at the Tyer Medium Security Prison on the outskirts of Moscow,” according to the statement.

The Zambian foreign ministry said it was informed of his death “on 9th November, 2022… at the battlefront of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.”

The ministry said it had urgent questions for Moscow about how the Zambian ended up fighting for Moscow.

“In view of this very sad development, the Zambian Government has requested the Russian authorities to urgently provide information on the circumstances under which a Zambian citizen, serving a prison sentence in Moscow, could have been recruited to fight in Ukraine and subsequently lose his life.”
    I would not be surprised if anyone not-russian suddenly ends up in Ukraine, totally out of their "free will".
    Last edited by Saradain; 2022-11-15 at 07:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    I saw just mentions that Russia allows foreigners to fight in russian army, not that they forcibly conscript them...like:

But then...

I would not be surprised if anyone not-russian suddenly ends up in Ukraine, totally out of their "free will".
    You know, if it wasn't for the fact that the guy was black I'd think Wagner recruited him...In any case a disturbing development. Seems I'll be postponing my trip to russia indefinitely. (Going from not this lifetime to never EVER in this or any other lifetime.)

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that the guy was black I'd think Wagner recruited him...In any case a disturbing development. Seems I'll be postponing my trip to russia indefinitely. (Going from not this lifetime to never EVER in this or any other lifetime.)
    Just the Russki mir my friend.

Your life for Moscow, such is the fate of all subjugated peoples under their banner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post

But then...

Sounds like a damn good way to start alienating all of those "non-western" countries that Russian apologists claim are on Russia's side "against the decadent west" in this little tiff they started.

Poor kid, from the sound of it. Went to Moscow trying to learn a better life. Jailed on likely trumped up charges. Sent off to die pointlessly. But if Russia keeps this up sending foreign nationals to die for them they're looking at an even greater geopolitical cluster fuck from countries that were otherwise staying out of it. Hell, I can only imagine the shitstorm if they accidentally send some Chinese kid they imprisoned for some half-assed reason to get killed. China's "support" would dry up real damn quick.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-11-15 at 07:24 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Sounds like a damn good way to start alienating all of those "non-western" countries that Russian apologists claim are on Russia's side "against the decadent west" in this little tiff they started.

Poor kid, from the sound of it. Went to Moscow trying to learn a better life. Jailed on likely trumped up charges. Sent off to die pointlessly. But if Russia keeps this up sending foreign nationals to die for them they're looking at an even greater geopolitical cluster fuck from countries that were otherwise staying out of it. Hell, I can only imagine the shitstorm if they accidentally send some Chinese kid they imprisoned for some half-assed reason to get killed. China's "support" would dry up real damn quick.
    not to mention all the laborers from the 'Stans will be considering leaving. RIP economy some more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

I think China's "support" is already non-existent, given how Biden and Xi seem to actively try to de-escalate and somewhat thaw out Sino-US relations.

I think China's "support" is already non-existent
    Putin and Xi are friends. The latter would not want to see him killed.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think China's "support" is already non-existent, given how Biden and Xi seem to actively try to de-escalate and somewhat thaw out Sino-US relations.
    Sure, but right right now China is still in the “both sides, play it cool” camp wherein they’re trying to still look like they’re friends with Russia (to use them as an easy source of gas and resources they can rather unilaterally exploit) whilst still maintaining the lucrative trade networks with the western world they care far more about.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Putin and Xi are friends. The latter would not want to see him killed.
    No they aren't friends at all, China has close contacts to Russia for strategic reasons only.

Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    No they aren't friends at all, China has close contacts to Russia for strategic reasons only.
    Enwmy of my enemy. They're only together because they both oppose the west.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Myeah, but russia is now taking it too far for China I think. China isn't a huge fan of nuclear dick waving.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea not sure about that at all, crossing from ochakiv with your only supply line being ribs seems like a stupid thing to do, and crossing the river into 2 lines of defense seems also bad.

again Melitopol' is the logical next target to separate the russians into 2 sectors and cut the supply lines in kherson/crimea.
    They are probaly attacking before russans can dig in, so areas are probaly not defended well. Also they did get some free boats not that long ago.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    China wants to oppose the West but they don't want war.

War is bad for the economy which is bad for China.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death