Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    not likely; remember, before they were seen in action, Russia was thought of as the strongest army in the world. People legitimately thought they would rape and pillage all of Ukraine in 3 days with ease.

I think what Xi was trying to see was if Putin was successful, at which point if so, he'd take his shot at Taiwan
    By literally nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    By literally nobody.
    that was literally the perception of the Russians then and why you see it all over media up to now; this unstoppable army that could invade the US (Call of Duty, Metal Gear).

All that is dispelled now though.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

that was literally the perception of the Russians then and why you see it all over media up to now; this unstoppable army that could invade the US (Call of Duty, Metal Gear).

Metal gear never had the Russian army in a position to invade the US.

The closest was mgs2 with Gerlucovic's PMC raid on a tanker in the Hudson River and two years later big shell, which was allowed to happen by The Patriots. Who essentially were running the world from behind the scenes.

not likely; remember, before they were seen in action, Russia was thought of as the strongest army in the world. People legitimately thought they would rape and pillage all of Ukraine in 3 days with ease.

I think what Xi was trying to see was if Putin was successful, at which point if so, he'd take his shot at Taiwan
    Pfft, not even Russia thought they were the strongest, hence why they referred to themselves as the second army in the world. Even they knew the US army was stronger.

But people who knew about these things, ie actual experts, have long said the russian army was over rated and had serious issues, which have been brutally exposed.

And if you are using computer games as a guide, then north korea could invade the US.

Russia was the strongest army because video games said so?

50 year old body armour has reportedly turned up in russian service. Not a lot it can do unless someone was trying to stab them.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...hfF2KjKJrieSLQ

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    50 year old body armour has reportedly turned up in russian service. Not a lot it can do unless someone was trying to stab them.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...hfF2KjKJrieSLQ
    Damn, those things are vintage.

Probably a case of some mobik forced to buy their own gear and got ripped off by a seller. You can add to that construction helmets and toy airsoft helmets that have also been found being used by mobiks.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    on civilians, yes. Especially when they're on the loose with guns.

Remember the guys that went AWOL reportedly started by brutally murdering their commanding officers, meaning they killed people with military training before fucking off.
    Do you think that was just random? Killing them just to kill? or could there be a reason they killed them????
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I see a certain poster has remained not-vacationed for inordinately longer than usual. Let me sum up their previous, and future, nonspecific musings that never come to a point:

1. “But won’t that make Russia more angry?”
    2. “But what about Russia’s friendship with China/India/Iran?”
    3. “But what about Russia’s/putin’s strength?”
    4. “But wont that make Russia more likely to nukes?”
    5. “but what about the statements of this Russian mouthpiece?”

And then when 7 posters beat down one of these asinine points they pivot to another in an endless cycle with the memory retention of a goldfish.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So I see a certain poster has remained not-vacationed for inordinately longer than usual. Let me sum up their previous, and future, nonspecific musings that never come to a point:

1. “But won’t that make Russia more angry?”
    2. “But what about Russia’s friendship with China/India/Iran?”
    3. “But what about Russia’s/putin’s strength?”
    4. “But wont that make Russia more likely to nukes?”
    5. “but what about the statements of this Russian mouthpiece?”

And then when 7 posters beat down one of these asinine points they pivot to another in an endless cycle with the memory retention of a goldfish.
    #2. That is so laughable now, with India declining the annual meeting, China banning selling processors and Iran allegedly limiting the range on the missiles they're supplying to russia, only NK and Syria are, sort of, supporting.

People, don't undersell Iran specifically as a militaristic ally to Russia, with their drone manufacturing. Their Shahed drones have taken innumerable lives and caused so much destruction in Ukraine. And with what is going on in Iran right now, I would never trust a word out of their government. The limits to what they can give Russia now is because Saudi Arabia and Israel are coming down on them hard over other reasons; they need to prepare for that.

A firm and believable stance (again) is Russia's geopolitical alliances consist of China and India, while their primary militaristic alliances and benefactors are of South Africa, Iran, North Korea, Syria.

India and China have only recently started wavering in their conviction - as the news I have provided seems to imply - but they will still buy Russian oil and veto against Russian sanctions and limitations in the unified belief the West is exploiting Ukraine to expand their imperialistic interests.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-12-14 at 06:10 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

People, don't undersell Iran specifically as a militaristic ally to Russia, with their drone manufacturing. Their Shahed drones have taken innumerable lives and caused so much destruction in Ukraine. And with what is going on in Iran right now, I would never trust a word out of their government. The limits to what they can give Russia now is because Saudi Arabia and Israel are coming down on them hard over other reasons; they need to prepare for that.

A firm and believable stance (again) is Russia's geopolitical alliances consist of China and India, while their primary militaristic alliances and benefactors are of South Africa, Iran, North Korea, Syria.

India and China have only recently started wavering in their conviction - as the news I have provided seems to imply - but they will still buy Russian oil and veto against Russian sanctions and limitations in the unified belief the West is exploiting Ukraine to expand their imperialistic interests.
    You are to Social Studies what PC2 is to Science; wholly ignorant of the subject matter and yet you repeatedly push your opinions as though they were worth considering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia continues to suck at this whole supplier things.

Beijing has banned the export of Loongson military-grade processors to the Russian Federation even though Russia’s military/defense industry has been testing the Chinese processors for some time and planned to use them instead of Intel and AMD products.

Meanwhile the US is sending more air defense gear to the Ukraine.
    Government Affiliated Snark

So Olaf Scholz today made a grand speech disparaging Putin; the context of which reminded me of a detail I've failed to mention:

Hungary and Orban are definitive allies to Russia in how the latter has done so much to block or veto sanctions. I think I fell into the memetic pitfalls of Hungary being irrelevant, but their voice in the EU definitely counts to make it difficult for Ukraine
    -----------
    Translated:

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said Wednesday that Vladimir Putin had made a fundamental miscalculation by sending troops into Ukraine, adding that the Russian president had not achieved "a single goal" set before the attack.

Addressing lawmakers in Germany's Bundestag, Scholz said that Putin's conviction that Russia would win and Ukraine would fall within days, was a massive underestimation.

Putin "believed he could dry up Europe's solidarity by turning off our gas tap," Scholz said but he was wrong "about the courage of Ukrainians, about Europe, about us, about the character of our democracies, about our will to resist big power mania and imperialism."

Scholz emphasized the EU's support for Ukraine and said that attempts to undermine that backing are doomed to fail, in a thinly veiled message to Hungary who earlier this week dropped objections over the aid for Kyiv.

"Anyone who thinks he can undermine the values of the EU, to which every member state has committed itself, by blocking its foreign and security policies, will fail," he said.

In his address, Scholz also said that it's in Germany's and Europe's best "interest" for the Balkan countries that are currently not in the EU to join the bloc.

Many observers have previously warned that Russia might try to use its influence in the region to destabilize the EU.

On Wednesday, Scholz welcomed the revival of EU accession talks with the six Western Balkan countries in recent months, and the decision this week to grant Bosnia candidate status, joining Albania, Moldova, the Republic of North Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia who all aspire to join the bloc.

The comments from the German chancellor come a week after Austria blocked Romania and Bulgaria, who became EU members in 2007, from joining the bloc's Schengen area.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-12-14 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You are to Social Studies what PC2 is to Science; wholly ignorant of the subject matter and yet you repeatedly push your opinions as though they were worth considering.
    I honestly think if PC2 and Yuppie ever got into a discussion, this forum would disappear like an Oozlum bird.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Russia was the strongest army because video games said so?
    The perception of Russia as a military terror came from Stalin, one of the most feared men in history. Afterward, we propagated this urban legend Putin is like that since the 2000s: smart, fearsome, and powerful. That's what bled into literature, comics, movies, etc that Russia is terrifying as you see with mobster tropes.

Even up to the Ukraine invasion's start, they probably saw it that way, given how Zelensky was offered evacuation (implying he would not survive).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The perception of Russia as a military terror came from Stalin, one of the most feared men in history. Afterward, we propagated this urban legend Putin is like that since the 2000s: smart, fearsome, and powerful. That's what bled into literature, comics, movies, etc that Russia is terrifying as you see with mobster tropes.

Even up to the Ukraine invasion's start, they probably saw it that way, given how Zelensky was offered evacuation (implying he would not survive).
    Not in any way true. What bled into literature and comics and movies is the idea that it is okay to hate Russia. It hasn't been since the fall of the USSR that they were the most powerful of potential opponents, it is just that American audiences feel good about beating them. It wouldn't be very diplomatic to set up the modern British as the primary antagonist (you will see them as the bad guys in period pieces), and people wouldn't feel very good about a story about the entire might of the US forces shit-kicking the hell out of Iceland, which doesn't even HAVE a standing military.

10+ Year Old Account

This is your main problem, you take pieces of fiction and regard them as reflections on the real world.

Nobody not trading in such delusions ever thought Russia were in a position to invade the US.

Russia has never been a truly competent naval power in the same sense as modern America, and the logistical hurdles it would face are enormous, insurmountably so.