15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Zelensky is polarizing in America because Republicans and the far-right think he's stealing tax payer's money and incessantly begging.
    Of course they do. It's not really any secret that a lot of the right now gets financial backing from Russia, and are practically in their pockets. It was fortunate that we got Biden elected, otherwise Ukraine might not have been as fortunate with Trump at the head. Likely another reason Russia has had its fingers in US politics and pushing money into the hands of right wing politicians was the impending Ukraine invasion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He's really not polarizing.
    You and I both know that issues that shouldn't be political are often made political by the right.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Also, he wanted to die in a war, and there's one with both sides accepting volunteers.
    I don't think even Russia would except him considering as soon as he sees his first gun or corpse he's gonna whip it out and start fapping.

Zelensky is polarizing in America because Republicans and the far-right think he's stealing tax payer's money and incessantly begging.
    Lord, have mercy on me and give me patience.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The thing about "strongman" dictators is that they have no respect for other "strongmen" who show weakness. Putin's comically bad "three day invasion" is a major blow to him in the eyes of his fellow autocrats.
    It doesn't help that Putin has always been extraordinarily disrespectful of his fellow autocrats. Most needed him before but he has far less to offer at this point and they gleefully retaliate by making him wait around and outright ignoring his requests. Belarus is the closest and has actual Russian troops in the country but it seems clear that Luka knows that joining Putin in this will destroy his hold in his country and his way of life (and will also inflict damage on the country itself which is probably a very tertiary concern for him). He is probably more prepared to fight Russia than to fight Ukraine at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It doesn't help that Putin has always been extraordinarily disrespectful of his fellow autocrats. Most needed him before but he has far less to offer at this point and they gleefully retaliate by making him wait around and outright ignoring his requests. Belarus is the closest and has actual Russian troops in the country but it seems clear that Luka knows that joining Putin in this will destroy his hold in his country and his way of life (and will also inflict damage on the country itself which is probably a very tertiary concern for him). He is probably more prepared to fight Russia than to fight Ukraine at this point.
    As odd as it may sound I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually more of a priority for Luka than he lets on, think about it, he MUST be thinking about a post-putin era, and his role and position in it, if he can say: I kept us out of the war and we didn't get bombed to oblivion, he might be able to secure a peaceful old day in exile, therefore that damage to Belarus might actually be a concern to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Lord, have mercy on me and give me patience.
    Everytime Zelensky gets a huge appaulse from congress tonight, this guys will slowly shrivel a bit more into a corn cob.

Zelensky can expect lots of applause lines tonight.

To really drag these contrarian a-holes, some person should post a live tracker of all the applause in a comic sans font.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Key things to take away from Putin's long speech today:

- He boasted he has a 1.5 million strong reserve force, as stated before by a Ukrainian official, vowing to free(?) Ukraine.

- He stated that after Zelenksy visited Washington, he will make the US and him suffer. Peace talks are now completely off the table.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

is a red carpet the norm for a flight walk, because I got kind of pissed looking at that thinking they're treating this guy like a celebrity
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account

- He boasted he has a 1.5 million strong reserve force, as stated before by a Ukrainian official, vowing to free(?) Ukraine.

- He stated that after Zelenksy visited Washington, he will make the US and him suffer. Peace talks are now completely off the table.
    Got anyrespectabele links to back up those claims? Cause all I see is putin doing his usual whine.

is a red carpet the norm for a flight walk, because I got kind of pissed looking at that thinking they're treating this guy like a celebrity
    Yes, it's not uncommon for foreign dignitaries to get a red carpet, complain more.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes extremely common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heya sport! Zelensky at the White House.

Big mad huh? Heads of State traditionally get a red carpet.

Quite unexpectedly this pleased me!
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

why does it piss you off?

The red carpet is traditionally rolled out for foreign heads of states or important dignitaries. It's a tradition going back to the 5th century BC. Using it for celebrities is a historical novelty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_carpet

You are chronically ignorant aren't you? Also managed to get "pissed" about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm reflecting on the difference between this

and "I'd like you to do us a favor, though."

In my house, we would also roll out the red carpet for Mariah Carey.

there's nothing to really take or dramatize from it than the fact red carpet (i.e, roll out the red carpet) is synonymous with celebrities. if that's how they treat all foreign dignitaries, then whatever, though I question if that means they would roll out such a carpet for someone like MBS with that loosely in mind.

Putin's asspain nourishes me.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Speaking of Zelenskyy and Washington in a less than "everything is DOOOOOM YOU SHOULD BE SCARED!" way...

He's landed in the country/state.

Please tell me the US send Air Force One to pick him up as a 'I dare you to shoot him down' to Russia.

Edit: Looks like this is Air force Two? Seem deal basically.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Please tell me the US send Air Force One to pick him up as a 'I dare you to shoot him down' to Russia.

It more resembles Air Force Two, but technically it can neither be Air Force One or Two, as those names mean that the planes carry the President or Vice President.

There are also reports that Zelensky flew on a C-40 - whereas AF2 is normally a C-32, and it looks more like the C-40 that flew Nancy Pelosi than a C-32.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

They picked him up in Poland. Don't see the Russians trying to shoot anything down in European airspace. Maybe over the Atlantic, but still nah.