15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    not just the US. The majority of the world's right-wing.
    As the country whose primary values are freedom, democracy and ESPECIALLY for how much the right rails about "foreign invasions" from immigrants, the fact that they're against protecting a sovereign nation shows that not only they're hypocrites, but cowards as well.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Watching the Ukraine war, it's almost like I'm watching early 1900's history repeat itself.

An autocratic government invading a sovereign nation to annex territory? A concerted effort to help said sovereign nation defend itself from all western nations including the US? A right wing resistance to helping said nation and simply allowing the invasion?

Not to go full YUPPIE, but sometimes my mind does wander to thoughts of "is it truly going to take nuke drops to make Russia surrender?"

It's utterly disgraceful that the US's right wing party is more aligned with Putin. I hope that history remembers them as the losers they are.
    They’re aligned because 1) Russia funds them and 2) the democrats support Ukraine, so they have to not support Ukraine. I doubt that beyond those two measures they give a flying fuck what happens with Russia or Ukraine, so long as they can make the democrats look bad and money can keep going into their pockets.

As for Russia, remember what happened to them in the even earlier 1900s; an over commitment to a war effort while their people were ground under the wheels of an oppressive, apathetic government. Nukes aren’t necessary in any capacity; so long as Ukraine remains able to fight due to foreign funding, Russia will continue to rot internally. That will give eventually. Russia’s internal rot has caused political upheaval twice now only a hair over the last 100 years. There’s nothing that makes Putin’s tin pot Russia “stronger” than tsarist Russia or the USSR that both fell before him.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    They’re aligned because 1) Russia funds them and 2) the democrats support Ukraine, so they have to not support Ukraine.
    The right also idealizes autocratic "strong men" like Putin. I imagine many of them wish Putin was their president instead, since he actually succeeded in securing power for himself. He also aligns with their culture war, i.e. anti LGBTQ, pro religion, etc.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

so I just want to bring it up again since it's close and Ukraine just received Patriot missiles:

How do you think Russia's January - February 200k (estimated) man assault on Kyiv will play out? Judging from speculation, just think of the way they assaulted Kyiv at the beginning of the invasion - renewed, but with more numbers.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

so I just want to bring it up again since it's close and Ukraine just received Patriot missiles:

How do you think Russia's January - February 200k (estimated) man assault on Kyiv will play out? Judging from speculation, just think of the way they assaulted Kyiv at the beginning of the invasion - renewed, but with more numbers.
    More numbers + bigger supply strain + more attrition - equipment = more dead russians. This time with a Ukraine that's mobilized, NATO trained, more armed, and angrier. Add to the fact even IF they do somehow take Kyiv and afterwards everything east of Kyiv you're dealing with a hostile populace where you need 1 armed person for every 2-3 people to effectively occupy it when the locals are hostile. 1 person for every 20 if the nation was as compliment as Crimea was, then Russia just will not be able to hold it. It'll be WW2 Yugoslavia on steroids.

7+ Year Old Account

LOL @ the notion of "renewed".

Judging from the fact Ukrainian intelligence claims Wagner loses hundreds of soldiers per week for months now, it calls into question of Russia's numbers. It seems like they don't run out if thousands of individual humans are just disposable like that.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Judging from speculation, there are plenty of military experts that don't believe there will be a 200k man assault on Kyiv.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/5845

"Such an offensive does not appear very probable to me, but it's not impossible at the same time," independent Russian military analyst Alexander Khamchikhin told AFP.
    Discussing Russian capabilities recently, US military expert Michael Kofman also judged Russia going on the offensive as a "rather unlikely scenario".

"They have significant ammunition constraints and the Russian military's performance now is very closely tied to the availability of artillery ammunition fires," Kofman told the War on the Rocks podcast.
    "We aren't seeing any indication that there's an imminent move on Kyiv," said White House spokesman John Kirby.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    As the country whose primary values are freedom, democracy and ESPECIALLY for how much the right rails about "foreign invasions" from immigrants, the fact that they're against protecting a sovereign nation shows that not only they're hypocrites, but cowards as well.
    Putin isn’t coming off as very “strong” right now.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Putin isn’t coming off as very “strong” right now.
    doesn't matter to the right-wingers abroad, he has the money. We can never know how it feels though, to have someone bribing you millions to sow disinformation in your homeland.

not just the US. The majority of the world's right-wing.
    No it's not, you really do need to get off Reddit and look at other sources, you totally lack perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Judging from speculation, there are plenty of military experts that don't believe there will be a 200k man assault on Kyiv.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/5845
    Yuppie is the top expert on the war in Ukraine. When has he ever been wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Yuppie is the top expert on the war in Ukraine. When has he ever been wrong?
    Except for those times he was always wrong, he's never been wrong!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    but that makes them a threat; they're killing another country's civilians indiscriminately and often deliberately.
    Oh for sure, they'd be absolutely abhorrent monsters just like Russia's being.

They just lack the capacity to launch a land war against Ukraine unless they wanna get skullfucked by the neighboring countries who hate them or leave themselves vulnerable to the citizen uprising that started because Iran cannot stop raping and murdering its citizens over taking offense to how they wear their headwear.

And even if they wanted ot directly start shooting civilians... that doesn't mean we should just cow-tow to their saber rattling and scare-mongering. You don't give these cruel dictatorships an inch, you punch them in the fucking nose and remind them that they exist because obliterating their sorry asses isn't worth our time.

Putin increasingly angered by the fact Biden and Zelensky are apparently completely ignoring him.

MOSCOW: The Kremlin on Thursday (Dec 22) accused Kyiv and Washington of turning a deaf ear to its concerns and charged the United States was using Ukraine as a battleground to weaken Russia.
    It came as President Vladimir Putin insisted Russia was aiming for a speedy end to the fighting.

"Our goal is ... to end this conflict. We are striving for this", he told reporters. "We will seek to make sure that it all ends, and the sooner, the better".

"All conflicts end, some way or another, with talks ... The faster our adversaries (in Kyiv) understand that, the better it will be," Putin said.

Moscow's military chief has said Russian forces are now concentrated on wresting control of the eastern Donetsk region where the battered city of Bakhmut has become an epicentre of fighting.

Officials in Moscow have repeatedly said in recent months that they have not ruled out talks with Ukraine.

They blamed the closure of diplomatic channels on President Zelenskyy, who has said he will not negotiate while Putin is in power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pootie upset his attempts at getting Ukraine to surrender by terror bombing civilians isn't working.

They blamed the closure of diplomatic channels on President Zelenskyy, who has said he will not negotiate while Putin is in power.
    Pretty sure diplomatic channels were closed the moment Putin started committting warcrimes in Ukraine.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Ukraine has been very upfront and reasonable about what it would take to get talks going again. Only pootie is making unreasonable demands in that regards preventing it. Basically they say Ukraine has to accept russias illegal annexation of the 4 oblasts, even though they don't control most of it, for talks to happen.

More attackers with worse equipment than last time = s lot more dead invaders.

In short (12/23/2022):

Wagner has just received fresh weapons and missiles from North Korea, illustrating the latter is still in this and an important ally to Russia. Considering North Korea is kept on a leash by China, does that in any way mean China is involved by proxy?