Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    no they didn't. They thought Russia wouldn't invade. (because it would be stupid).

every respectable analyst was saying 'The ukrainian army of 2014 isnt the same army as 2022 they have completely professionalized, Russia isn't going to invade'
    It's true that most people thought they wouldn't actually invade, but once the invasion started, the consensus was that Ukraine would fold.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Is this kind of bullshit really more about Republicans framing the situation in a way that allows them to be critical of Biden, or do they genuinely believe what they are saying? Are they on Putin's payroll? I don't see how it's possible for anyone to look at the facts and come to the conclusions that this Morris guy and his co-host were making. It's maddening to me that anyone buys into it. And I'm going to have to deal with this shit tomorrow when they visit for dinner...
    *Ticks all of the above for republicans*

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Now what is it they say about repeating the same thing and expecting different results… :P
    Well played, sir.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Santa appears to have delivered presents to Engels airfield in russia. Again. That is where they launch their heavy bombers.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1...LzVYSy_Jk3hM-A

- - - Updated - - -

russian news is reporting 3 servicemen dead an Engels. As usual their spin is insane. They claim air defences shot down a uav but the wreckage landed on the soldiers and killed them.

This is an excuse they used a number of times before. Can't admit their air defences are useless but have to explain losses and damage on the ground somehow.

10+ Year Old Account
    no they didn't. They thought Russia wouldn't invade. (because it would be stupid).

every respectable analyst was saying 'The ukrainian army of 2014 isnt the same army as 2022 they have completely professionalized, Russia isn't going to invade'
    Ofc they did, many including me did.

I did not think Russia would invade, but I did think that IF it would invade it would wipe the floor with Ukraine.

I am not shamed at all to admit it, it's called integrity.

The reason why aid for Ukraine took such a long time to manifest was because decision makers in the West thought Russia would roll Ukraine.

So yes this outcome was unexpected and it's silly to try and deny history.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The rubble has lost like 17% value compared to the USD in the last couple of weeks, even with moscow pumping money in to artificially inflate it.

Now there are reports of problems with banks not allowing people to withdraw their own money.

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/st...YYFKcFcaAqo8bw

Time for a bank run?

There are also reports that pootie is going to forcibly convert people's savings onto government bonds.
    I'm not sure why people keep focusing on ruble rate as if it matters. Whether ruble falls to dust or soars to the high heaven, it does not change the fact that Russia is in a financial trouble with bleak prospects.

The process will take years, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Ofc they did, many including me did.

I did not think Russia would invade, but I did think that IF it would invade it would wipe the floor with Ukraine.

I am not shamed at all to admit it, it's called integrity.

The reason why aid for Ukraine took such a long time to manifest was because decision makers in the West thought Russia would roll Ukraine.

So yes this outcome was unexpected and it's silly to try and deny history.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure why people keep focusing on ruble rate as if it matters. Whether ruble falls to dust or soars to the high heaven, it does not change the fact that Russia is in a financial trouble with bleak prospects.

The process will take years, however.
    For the first part, yep, same here I thought russia would not invade or at least stop at the Donbass as it was likely they would get away with that, then Ukraine fought back, and the rest, as they say, is history.

For the second, it's interesting to see how the ruble tumbles and eventually hyperinflation will wipe out the currency in any meaningful manner, people are seeing the path towards wheelbarrows of rubles just to buy a loaf of bread.

tfw your air defense is garbage and Ukraine can strike your nuclear airfield
    tfw your economy is on the brink, arms smuggling from the war next door comes to your local city and gun crime goes up 600%

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    In the past 300 days everyone had to rewrite every single major geopolitical analysis and half the military manuals.
    The "Russia stronk" and "western country alliance NATO WEAK" lines have been thoroughly debunked.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    tfw your economy is on the brink, arms smuggling from the war next door comes to your local city and gun crime goes up 600%
    Wait what?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Wait what?
    Western Russia’s Kursk and Belgorod regions, both of which border war-torn Ukraine, saw the highest rise in crime rates involving weapons at 675% and 213% each.

Moscow came in third with a 203% increase in crimes involving weapons

Russia notoriously corrupt, and now its open season on gun smuggling. Gonna be an absolute basket case when the formal economy barely exists + a bunch of pissed off men come home who feel a reduction in the value of life and have been desensitized.

Saw this in the Balkans. Wonder if the Russian + Chechens will get heavy like the 90's and try and muscle out the Albanians who control most of europe now lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    tfw your air defense is garbage and Ukraine can strike your nuclear airfield

Is that supposed to be some answer to me?

Because boy did you miss a mark, I'm a good 2k kilometers away from Russia and if it would evaporate tomorrow I would not shed even 1 tear.

As a matter of fact it would make my life better indirectly.

Theres a rumor going that a new decree allows the Russian state to seize private citizens bank balance, which is currently resulting in a bank run.

Haven’t been able to verify though, so far the only sources are twitter posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Theres a rumor going that a new decree allows the Russian state to seize private citizens bank balance, which is currently resulting in a bank run.

Haven’t been able to verify though, so far the only sources are twitter posts.
    Wasn't that decree about seizing oligarchs wealth for Russia's warmachine? That's the type of news I've seen:

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...nt-december-24

Russian siloviki may be setting information conditions to justify the nationalization of oligarchs' resources to sponsor Russia’s war effort. Wagner financier Yeveniy Prigozhin attended the funeral of a deceased Wagner Group mercenary in St. Petersburg on December 24, where he stated that Russia needs to confiscate luxury possessions and accommodations from elites who ignore or do not support the war effort out of fear of losing their privileged lifestyles.[7] Prigozhin added that these affluent individuals support a vision where ”Western curators” dominate Russia in return for the sponsorship of their lifestyles and compared today’s Russian oligarchy to Ukraine’s or to 1990s Russia. Prigozhin ignited a scandal regarding the burial of the Wagner serviceman in recent weeks to push his political objectives — such as the legalization of Wagner in Russia — and his statements advocating redistribution of wealth at the funeral gained significant traction on the Russian internet.[8] Wagner-affiliated milbloggers widely supported Prigozhin’s criticism of Russian officials and praised his support for the war effort.[9] Prigozhin may be using such populist proposals to elevate his authority in Russian society or influence a return of stricter nationalization measures.

There have been more than a few rumours it isn't just going to be oligarchs wealth - and that would cause immense problems given their links to everything. If the head of the Wanker SS is involved, it a power play.

Something weird is happening to the rubble though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    There have been more than a few rumours it isn't just going to be oligarchs wealth - and that would cause immense problems given their links to everything. If the head of the Wanker SS is involved, it a power play.

Something weird is happening to the rubble though.
    I'm not saying there will be a bank run, but these sorts of rumors are how you get a bank run.

Also Ukraine hit Engels airbase. Again.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/26/e...hnk/index.html

(The name of Engels will never stop confusing the hell out of me, yes yes, I know, Volga Germans and all that.)

- - - Updated - - -

RT "News" put out a little propaganda ad about Christmas in Europe.

Apparently Europe just had a hamster powered Christmas, come 2023 Europe will be eating the family pets.

russian state propaganda has reached the sunk cost fallacy stage - the war is depleting the state in every way but if we stop the war has been meaningless.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gerashche...VqH2TfIoaGwYDQ

15+ Year Old Account
    Pavel Antov (64), one of russia’s richest politicians, died after falling from a window in a hotel in India.

Russian consul general in Calcutta stated the police see nothing suspicious about Antov’s demise.
    KEKW

Nothing suspicious
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

And one of his friends also died there a couple of days early.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Damn those pesky windows! With those bullet laden sidewalks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    KEKW

Nothing suspicious
    Accidents are part of life!

Nothing suspicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.