10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Hope its true, and I hope more and more heavy support ramps up. With the missile attacks on that apartment block in Dnipro today it is obvious Russia is just going to continue to war crime, the best we can do is make it so their male age demographics will be even more fucked for the next several decades.
    Russia is doing a sterling job themselves already, with the claim they want a 2 million strong army, that is double the one they have now, their young male population is being pulled out of the economy and killed. Additionally plenty of young, smart folks are fleeing the country, estimates vary from between 500k to 1 million. By then end of this the 18-30 cohort will be devastated which will destroy the following generations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    As tragic and barbaric as it is, Russia randomly harming and potentially killing innocent people... doesn't seem like it's particularly effective.

The people of Ukraine, by all senses, are committed to continue fighting, and I would assume that every destroyed apartment building or other similar civilian structure Russia destroys only strengthens Ukraine's resolve to continue fighting, rather than "terrifying" them into submission, as I assume Russia's plan is. "Shock and awe" doesn't work when Ukraine knows they possess the ability to resist and put their invaders in the ground.
    Everyone has a breaking point. Ruskies may think that they can achive a state when Ukrainians will be so exhausted with fear, death, destruction, supplies and energy shortages that they will start pressuring their gov to just end this conflict. Which tells us everything about how Russia, after all those years, is a still a bandit state.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Has Thierry been stinking up the place lately? I haven't been paying attention to home that much lately. Is he still that Pro -pootin or has he finally seen the light?
    hes still pro - pooting, but many regular dutchies think hes right.. doesnt work when your own goverment didnt really want to expand back in the 90's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russians really ought to quit smoking

Ok, so TASS, there's a bit more casualties reported in the grapevine.

В Белгородской области военнослужащий взорвал гранату на территориии части. Погибли трое военных.

По информации «Базы», взрыв произошел в здании сельского дома культуры, где располагались российские военные. По предварительным данным, один из военнослужащих взорвал гранату РГД-5.

Из-за взрыва в здании сдетонировали боеприпасы и начался пожар. Его потушили прибывшие пожарные. Погибли трое военнослужащих, еще как минимум 10 пострадали.
    t.me/bazabazon
    /15385
    Google translate says this:

In the Belgorod region, a serviceman blew up a grenade on the territory of the unit. Three soldiers were killed.

According to "Baza", the explosion occurred in the building of the village house of culture, where the Russian military was located. According to preliminary data, one of the servicemen blew up an RGD-5 grenade.

Due to the explosion, ammunition detonated in the building and a fire started. It was put out by the firemen who arrived. Three soldiers were killed and at least 10 others were injured.
    Last edited by Iphie; 2023-01-15 at 02:07 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Just seen a propaganda video on Reddit of dead Russian soldiers arranged into a Z by Ukrainian soldiers. Am I right in thinking that desecration of corpses is a war crime? I mean I get it. The Ukrainians are pissed and war is hell. But still. I can imagine that behind the scenes they're being told that supporting that shit makes us look bad.
    moving bodies is now desecration? Last time I check desecration had to do with "destroying/mutilating" a body.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Everyone has a breaking point. Ruskies may think that they can achieve a state when Ukrainians will be so exhausted with fear, death, destruction, supplies and energy shortages that they will start pressuring their gov to just end this conflict. Which tells us everything about how Russia, after all those years, is a still a bandit state.
    Terror bombing campaigns have never in history broken a nation. As horrific as what Ukraine is going through, it is minor compared to the terror bombing in WW2 and that failed as a means of breaking anyone's resolve. On top of that, Ukraine is well aware of the many atrocities that russia has been committing, and nor is russia exactly subtle about their desire to genocide Ukraine. Ukraine will not be breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    Can these mobiks guys who are placed into trenches kill anything? what is their job and why are they calling them mobilized? On every video they seem to die en masse without doing anything
    The job is to soak up Ukrainian ammunition. Russia hopes Ukraine will run out of bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Terror bombing campaigns have never in history broken a nation. As horrific as what Ukraine is going through, it is minor compared to the terror bombing in WW2 and that failed as a means of breaking anyone's resolve. On top of that, Ukraine is well aware of the many atrocities that russia has been committing, and nor is russia exactly subtle about their desire to genocide Ukraine. Ukraine will not be breaking.
    The terror bombing of Rotterdam made the dutch surrender reaaaaaaaaaal fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    The terror bombing of Rotterdam made the dutch surrender reaaaaaaaaaal fast.
    Because there was no way we were winning anyway.

Terror attacks can work when there is no hope, why continue to suffer for no reason. Ukraine has plenty of hope, they actually have a realistic chance of winning and the alternative is genocide.
    They have every incentive not to surrender.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Because there was no way we were winning anyway.

Terror attacks can work when there is no hope, why continue to suffer for no reason. Ukraine has plenty of hope, they actually have a realistic chance of winning and the alternative is genocide.
    They have every incentive not to surrender.
    Not entirely true, at the Afsluitdijk we resisted the entire time, and the Bombardment of Rotterdam was to force the issue, Germany threatened to do the same to Amsterdam, Den Haag, Utrecht (probably, it's been 25+ years ago I learned this in VWO) and pretty much every other single big city. The Dutch leadership just had less grit than the Ukrainians. Would the Netherlands have lost? Yes, probably, but don't forget we still used the Waterlinie, if Germany didn't have planes they would not likely have been able to pass that easily. Fortress Holland might have stood long enough for some form of reinforcements to come. (Unlikely, but hey, one can dream, right?)

You guys are confusing terror bombings and systematic genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You guys are confusing terror bombings and systematic genocide.
    Russia is doing both in Ukraine. There's no confusion because that implies they're only doing one of either.

If the recent bombings indicate to me anything, it's that Russia is escalating these crimes against humanity in a show of: "If you don't fucking stop doing things my way, it's only going to get more depraved/worse."

But so far, apart from Hungary, I have not seen much (if any) effort to appease Russia. It feels like Russia is ironically making the West more pissed than anxious.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    But so far, apart from Hungary, I have not seen much (if any) effort to appease Russia. It feels like Russia is ironically making the West more pissed than anxious.
    Yes, it's almost like that's what happens when you commit war crimes, and not that people give you what you want to get you to stop.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2023-01-15 at 10:04 PM.

Yeah the more Western news gets to show Russian war crimes on the news the more public support is going to remain high for Ukraine.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia is doing both in Ukraine. There's no confusion because that implies they're only doing one of either.

If the recent bombings indicate to me anything, it's that Russia is escalating these crimes against humanity in a show of: "If you don't fucking stop doing things my way, it's only going to get more depraved/worse."

Took you that long to realize this, did it?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

And with the next Rammstein meeting in a few days, committing atrocities like in Dnipro just heightens calls for more support. If they had brains they would have lain low before the meeting but they don't. In the immortal words of one Ukrainian soldier, 'it's a good thing for us they are so fucking stupid.'

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

What is distinct is that if you look at Denmark, when they surrendered to Germany they actually got treated relatively decently. The Danish mortality rate in WW2 was one of the lower ones for involved countries. Since the Germans were never intending genocide on Denmark, they could offer 'You surrender and be treated well, or you fight us, lose, and you don't get treated well'.

The Russians can't offer something similar. They're already murdering the men, raping the women, and kidnapping the children in Ukraine. There isn't a 'You let us genocide your entire population or else' because there isn't a worse 'else' to hold over them. If the Ukrainians surrender, they die horrifically, and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The Russians can't offer something similar.
    given how the EU has already found workable gas alternatives, and gas being the only thing Russia has ever had to offer/trade, it makes you wonder if they're capable of entering the civilized world again after this war.

The generalization of Russians being barbarians is so seeped into Western culture since this happening, it's hard to imagine anyone will overlook them in any foreseeable future.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

You're back earlier than I was hoping for.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    given how the EU has already found workable gas alternatives, and gas being the only thing Russia has ever had to offer/trade, it makes you wonder if they're capable of entering the civilized world again after this war.

The generalization of Russians being barbarians is so seeped into Western culture since this happening, it's hard to imagine anyone will overlook them in any foreseeable future.
    I think the onus is less on what the West wants and more about how Russia proceeds post Ukraine war. We extended an olive branch to Russia by involving them in global trade and easing out of a lot of our Red-Scare era fearmongering... and they responded by continuing to be belligerent and hostile to anything within arm's reach. I don't think anything short of getting absolutely buggered like Germany and Japan were post WW2, then being built back from the ground up by western powers, is going to fix a lot of their political issues.