Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Would be weird for the UK army to have no moustache, that's basically been a thing for a long time. Hell prior to WW1 it was compulsary to have one.
    changing to allow beards i should say.

top fbi guy getting nicked for his links to Oleg Deripaska, hes proper everywhere. Links to british aristocracy, Mandelson, think he employed George Osborne for a bit

Intelligent agencies confirm Russia was behind the mail bomb threats late in 2022 to now.

You know, those news several months back about mail bombings like the Poland one. Turns out Russia was behind them.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account

I'm curious how they reached this number...

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post

WW1 western front charge tactics around Bakhmut

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    WW1 western front charge tactics around Bakhmut
    And the sad part is, bit by bit it's working. And they know it because every other so often they'll boast of how many more men they have in reserve than before. Recently, it was supposedly 500k they'll somehow unveil soon.

They actually reported Ukrainian casualties recently, factoring in civilians, and the total damage they have suffered is said to be incomparable to Russia's. Russia still has Moscow all cozied up with its denizens oblivious to danger. Kyiv has not had that luxury of course.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    And the sad part is, bit by bit it's working. And they know it because every other so often they'll boast of how many more men they have in reserve than before. Recently, it was supposedly 500k they'll somehow unveil soon.

They actually reported Ukrainian casualties recently, factoring in civilians, and the total damage they have suffered is said to be incomparable to Russia's. Russia still has Moscow all cozied up with its denizens oblivious to danger. Kyiv has not had that luxury of course.
    You're suppose to link sources when making wild claims like these. Well you're suppose to link sources for this stuff anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You're suppose to link sources when making wild claims like these. Well you're suppose to link sources for this stuff anyway.
    Russia has suffered 180,000 killed or wounded in Ukraine so far, while the figure for the Ukrainians is 100,000 military casualties and 30,000 dead civilians, according to estimates released Sunday by Norway's army chief.

"Russian losses are beginning to approach around 180,000 dead or wounded soldiers," Norwegian Chief of Defence Eirik Kristoffersen said in an interview with TV2, without specifying how the numbers were calculated.

Norway, a country bordering Russia, has been a member of NATO since its founding in 1949.

"Ukrainian losses are probably over 100,000 dead or wounded. In addition Ukraine has about 30,000 civilians who died in this terrible war," said the Norwegian general.

Moscow and Kyiv have not provided reliable accounts for their losses for months.

In November, US army joint chiefs of staff chairman Mark Milley said the Russian army had suffered more than 100,000 dead or wounded, with a "probably" similar toll on the Ukrainian side.

These figures cannot be independently verified.

Despite heavy losses "Russia is able to continue (this war) for quite a long time," Kristoffersen said on Sunday, citing Moscow's mobilisation and arms production capacities.

"What worries most is whether Ukraine is going to be able to keep the Russian air force out of the war," he said, adding that they have been able to so far "thanks to Ukrainian anti-aircraft defences".

The bulk of Russian strikes in recent months have been carried out by long-range missiles.

The Norwegian general also called for the rapid delivery of combat tanks to Ukraine, which has so far been held up mainly by Germany.

"If they're going to go on the offensive in the winter, they (Ukrainians) need it fast," Kristoffersen added.

Despite urgent appeals from Ukraine and several European countries, Berlin refused on Friday to supply its Leopard tanks to Kyiv.

These heavy tanks are present in the ranks of several other European nations, including Norway, but their delivery to Ukraine is in theory subject to the German green light.

Source

They say Russia can keep going due to its mobilization and arms producing capabilities, yet so far, we have seen the solders without enough supplies or arms to back up that statement. I think they are horribly over estimating Russias capabilities. If they had that kind of ability, surely they would be bothering to send their troops to war with more then junk that falls apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    They say Russia can keep going due to its mobilization and arms producing capabilities, yet so far, we have seen the solders without enough supplies or arms to back up that statement. I think they are horribly over estimating Russias capabilities. If they had that kind of ability, surely they would be bothering to send their troops to war with more then junk that falls apart.
    Yeah ...I know the whole "sending in the front rank with a rifle so that the next one can pick it up when the first is killed" is a bad trope but somehow here we are.

Yeah ...I know the whole "sending in the front rank with a rifle so that the next one can pick it up when the first is killed" is a bad trope but somehow here we are.
    if there's something you have to admire the Russians for, it's their tenacity. Despite the abuse and overwhelming odds, they refuse to revolt and keep pushing forward.

if there's something you have to admire the Russians for, it's their tenacity. Despite the abuse and overwhelming odds, they refuse to revolt and keep pushing forward.
    Why would they revolt? Many of them still believe in the goal itself, despite the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Why would they revolt?
    because anyone sane would. Tenacity doesn't suggest intelligence or something positive.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2023-01-24 at 07:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Why would they revolt? Many of them still believe in the goal itself, despite the abuse.
    I kinda doubt that, but I do think the russian population is beaten into submission, and not yet at critical mass. I recently saw an analysis of how russian society works, and it made sense, 15-25% of the population is hardcore supporters of putin, 50-65% is de-politicized (meaning they don't want to bother with politics), and 20-25% are opposing putin in one way or another. It's that middle group that needs to be activated in order to dislodge putin or so they say.

Time will tell.

can Russia hypothetically (I mean Turkey is NATO after all) take on Turkey in a conventional (no nukes, etc) military skirmish like they're engaging in with Ukraine?

I don't see the fact Turkey has stopped granting Russians residential permits as of today yet, but the Kremlin has vowed retaliation for this.

Russian citizens relocating to Turkey in recent weeks are being refused residence permits, independent Russian-language media outlet Current Time reported Monday.

Since December, Russian citizens who left Russia following the invasion of Ukraine and the military mobilization have been denied short-term residence permits for tourism in several cities, the report shows.

A short-term residence permit for tourism allows visitors to stay in Turkey for up to a year and to come and go freely. Russian citizens without residence permits are only permitted to stay in Turkey as tourists, which means a maximum stay of 60 consecutive days within six months, after which they are obliged to leave and re-enter Turkey.

10+ Year Old Account
    can Russia hypothetically (I mean Turkey is NATO after all) take on Turkey in a conventional (no nukes, etc) military skirmish like they're engaging in with Ukraine?

I don't see the fact Turkey has stopped granting Russians residential permits as of today yet, but the Kremlin has vowed retaliation for this.

Russian citizens relocating to Turkey in recent weeks are being refused residence permits, independent Russian-language media outlet Current Time reported Monday.

Since December, Russian citizens who left Russia following the invasion of Ukraine and the military mobilization have been denied short-term residence permits for tourism in several cities, the report shows.

A short-term residence permit for tourism allows visitors to stay in Turkey for up to a year and to come and go freely. Russian citizens without residence permits are only permitted to stay in Turkey as tourists, which means a maximum stay of 60 consecutive days within six months, after which they are obliged to leave and re-enter Turkey.
    Right now? WHILE floundering in Ukraine? Not a chance.

Any other time? While not floundering in Ukraine? No chance.

No. No it can't.

I couldn't before Ukraine. Even less so now.

Turkey and Greece, despite both being NATO members, have been on semi war footing since the 1970s, so they have disproportionately oversized militaries. Not to mention, Turkey is a country of 85 million people.

If Russia can't deal with Ukraine, with half the population of Turkey, good luck taking on Turkey.

A bigger question is..."How does NATO get Turkey to stop being fucking dipshits and play ball on the Scandinavian expansion." Erdogan is really milking this whole situation for every cent worth of international attention by being a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2023-01-24 at 09:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh, no. Obviously not.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Turkey has a significant military that is also fairly active and thus experienced. Russia would at best be able to stalemate with them even without support from the rest of NATO and they almost assuredly would get support from all of us against Russia.

Russia would have to go through Georgia/Armenia or Romania/Bulgaria to go straight land war without having to ship troops through the Black Sea for an amphibious landing in Turkey. I doubt any of the above would agree to let Russia do this. I doubt that Russia could create a bridge head then control a port then keep it repaired for anything else.

So maybe not at this point. That's throwing out the NATO factor. Then they are getting smacked around by NATO as well.

SO Hard NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    A bigger question is..."How does NATO get Turkey to stop being fucking dipshits and play ball on the Scandinavian expansion." Erdogan is really milking this whole situation for every cent worth of international attention by being a pain in the ass.
    There is no way to please Erdogan, that doesn't involve selling your soul, so fuck it.