1. #27981


    DW (pretty reliable) claims their sources inside the German government have finally agreed to tank deliveries.

    Still unconfirmed and whether it's just Germany allowing Poland and such to hand over tanks or its tanks directly from Germany still remains fuzzy. But some official announcement is to be expected probably tomorrow.

  2. #27982
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    wow hes going to kill a 3 year old and an old lady
    I mean, that's HORRIFIC AS FUCK and not something to just brush off. Not only the fact he does that, but gets away with it.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  3. #27983
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    In before yuppie with “but ze nukez!”.

    I more and more doubt Russia’s nuclear capabilities. Not because they haven’t pushed that big red button, but because Russia sucks at maintenance.

    Most nukes use tritium to start the reaction. Tritium has a 12.5 year halflife. Every 10-20 years it needs to be replaced, or the nuke becomes worthless.

    Tritium is freaking expensive, and it would be SO easy for some aparachik to go “well hmmmm… i just got 10 billion to maintain these warheads that we’re never gonna use, ooooooor….”

    Boom, 200 meter yacht.

    Considering how the rest of Russias defense maintenance has gone… yea……..

    Expanding just a bit; it might even be government policy not to maintain them. America committed to the space race partly to bankrupt the USSR. Russia claiming they have working nukes does:

    1) serve as a HUGE deterrent because nobody wanna find out if the big stick is real.

    2) move the USA to spend billions upon billions to maintain their stock.
    This has been discussed many times before, yes Russia's nuclear arsenal is probably largely scrap, but no one wants to find out just how badly it has been maintained and it even if 90% fail, it doesn't take a lot of them working to screw humanity.

    And no Russia's nuclear capacity, or lack therefor, has no bearing on US's nuclear arsenal. Even if no other nuclear power exists the USA would want a large nuclear capacity, because it renders them practically immune to direct war by any other country
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  4. #27984
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I mean, that's HORRIFIC AS FUCK and not something to just brush off. Not only the fact he does that, but gets away with it.
    yup it is horrific but what does it change? its like a ISIS attack in europe, wow you murdered 20 people and ruined their lives and the lives of their families but so what in the big picture?

    so what else can putin do?

  5. #27985
    Over 9000! zealo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    More severe bombings of civilians. Every time he bombs Ukraine with this, it escalates, and he always reiterates "this isn't even close to what we can fully do" to try to make them lose faith
    The one and only word that actually matters in that sentence you wrote is try.

    Terror bombing civilians doesn't have the effects Russia so desperately wants it to.

  6. #27986
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    how useful are f16's tho?

    both sides arent using airpower for much more than long range missile fire because of the risk of being shot down.
    Honestly, they're really not useful in this situation. They're air superiority aircraft and Russia isn't bringing in their aircraft into Ukraine for obvious reasons. If that changes then F16 could be helpful.

  7. #27987
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    yup it is horrific but what does it change? its like a ISIS attack in europe, wow you murdered 20 people and ruined their lives and the lives of their families but so what in the big picture?

    so what else can putin do?
    it's not 3 or 20 people. They don't report estimates, but civilian casualties in Ukraine, up to the deportation genocide ongoing, are well over 100k+

    He's killed or ruined that many people and because we're waving an olive branch (i.e, just surrender and return to the international political stage) he'll keep doing this.

    And yes, Joe Biden is still trying to control the situation to where Russia isn't overly cornered.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  8. #27988
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    In before yuppie with “but ze nukez!”.

    I more and more doubt Russia’s nuclear capabilities. Not because they haven’t pushed that big red button, but because Russia sucks at maintenance.

    Most nukes use tritium to start the reaction. Tritium has a 12.5 year halflife. Every 10-20 years it needs to be replaced, or the nuke becomes worthless.
    Tritium is also often used in the 2nd stage in fusion bombs; i.e., the really big ones.

    As I recall the Sum of all Fears had a nuke fizzle due to lack of Tritium (checked - hmm.. slightly differently - it fizzled due to decay products from the Tritium) - but even a fizzled nuke is a pretty big deal - and in the unlikely event that Ruzzia uses them in Ukraine it's hard to know whether such a device was set to low yield or it fizzled.

  9. #27989
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    it's not 3 or 20 people. They don't report estimates, but civilian casualties in Ukraine, up to the deportation genocide ongoing, are well over 100k+

    He's killed or ruined that many people and because we're waving an olive branch (i.e, just surrender and return to the international political stage) he'll keep doing this.

    And yes, Joe Biden is still trying to control the situation to where Russia isn't overly cornered.
    its 30,000 people without the deportations to russia proper.

    uhh no ones waving an olive branch. Russia isn't cornered because at any point it can leave Ukraine and that would be the end of military fighting on Ukranian land. It could still be annoying by blockading Odessa or something but how realistic is that?

    Russia will be a outcast afterwards regardless.

  10. #27990


    CNN claims the US is sending Abrams along with the Leopards.

  11. #27991
    I'm wondering what Russia's response to this will be
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  12. #27992
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I'm wondering what Russia's response to this will be
    Die in even larger numbers.

  13. #27993
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I'm wondering what Russia's response to this will be
    Write an angry letter to NATO? Bomb some more schools in Ukraine? Tie elderly Russian babushkas to the front of their tanks as an active protection system in the hopes that Ukrainians won't shoot at old ladies?
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2023-01-24 at 11:48 PM.

  14. #27994
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Write an angry letter to NATO?
    I failed to see it mentioned, but late last week Wagner ominously wrote to the White House over its recent designation as a terror group.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  15. #27995
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,049
    "Ominously"....dude, asking what they are accused of is NOT ominous.

  16. #27996
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    "Ominously"....dude, asking what they are accused of is NOT ominous.
    Wagner is aware of its identity and relationship with the US (that is, one of mortal enemies; they even fought I reckon) so to send a letter to the White House to begin with, and in a subdued tone, is pretty ominous to me.

    Also, doesn't the US have security for letting such mails pass through read to begin with, considering the spree of mail bombings related to Russia that was headlined recently?
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  17. #27997
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Wagner is aware of its identity and relationship with the US (that is, one of mortal enemies; they even fought I reckon) so to send a letter to the White House to begin with, and in a subdued tone, is pretty ominous to me.

    Also, doesn't the US have security for letting such mails pass through read to begin with, considering the spree of mail bombings related to Russia that was headlined recently?
    You think they're so incompetent that a bratty teen could get away with setting a bag of poop on fire at the White House's front door? Of course they vet the mail! Why is every thing you've been saying come off as (I'll just go ahead and say the T-word) Concern Trolling? You keep building up Russia as this malevolent force of nature who would only stop it's wanton destruction if it was given a blood sacrifice (Ukraine in this case), that it's the West's fault that Russia keeps getting its soldier killed and that the West should just pull out and let Russia take Ukraine as a peace offering.

  18. #27998
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You keep building up Russia as this malevolent force of nature who would only stop its wanton destruction if it was given a blood sacrifice (Ukraine in this case)
    The latter part of the West cowing down aside, that's LITERALLY what Russia is right now. Perfect description, though I don't think Russia will stop at just Ukraine should they get what they want.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2023-01-25 at 01:44 AM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  19. #27999
    The Prig and the Wankers have failed to take Bakhmut like they were meant to and have lost 80% of their convict troops. They have been neutered and are on the outer with Putin as a result.

  20. #28000
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The Prig and the Wankers have failed to take Bakhmut like they were meant to and have lost 80% of their convict troops. They have been neutered and are on the outer with Putin as a result.
    for context on what this poster is claiming, though in a foreign language: reportedly, Wagner lose 980 of its 1000 troops recently in Bakhmut.

    Though I think the African alliance may help replenish their numbers.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •