1. #28121
    lool russians https://twitter.com/bigSAC10/status/1618343407075864576

    maybe get in the armour right next to you that will protect you from dying like this instead of lying around outside of it

  2. #28122
    Over 9000! zealo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,515
    Russia won't do shit to Moldova outside of purely economic pressure so long as this war is ongoing, because it would give Ukraine an excuse to go in and clean up that whole transnistria mess more forcefully for Moldova, removing a thorn in their own side at the same time.

  3. #28123
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Russia won't do shit to Moldova outside of purely economic pressure so long as this war is ongoing, because it would give Ukraine an excuse to go in and clean up that whole transnistria mess more forcefully for Moldova, removing a thorn in their own side at the same time.
    If they can't do shit to people, why do they keep threatening them with rhetoric like that? Stuff like "same fate as Ukraine."

    It makes Russia seem pussy as fuck, and also, it only angers people than scaring them for the most part. Like you guys mentioned Trump and we could look at him for an example of someone terrified of Russia and Putin.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  4. #28124
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    no, it's not simple.

    Because apart from the last line, those conditions of reparation you laid out will take probably 50 years minimum for starters alone.
    Entirely comparable to the time Germany spent occupied and divided.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Look up Moldova on the Map, and look up russia, there's this country between them... Ukraine. As long as Ukraine stands, Moldova stands. Can russia do something? Sure, they could bomb, send missiles etc. problem is that those wil have to go over Ukraine and somehow I do not think Ukraine is gonna say "yeah, sure, no problem we'll let this missiles go unmolested through our airspace to Moldova."
    Russia already has troops in a breakaway corner of Moldova. Maybe not enough to overrun the rest, but enough to fuck around and make trouble.

  5. #28125
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    If they can't do shit to people, why do they keep threatening them with rhetoric like that? Stuff like "same fate as Ukraine."

    It makes Russia seem pussy as fuck, and also, it only angers people than scaring them for the most part. Like you guys mentioned Trump and we could look at him for an example of someone terrified of Russia and Putin.
    Have you heard of the term propaganda before?

    Or are you just concerned trolling trying to get people freaked out because your Sadako avatar didn't work? (As a girl who once had discomfort seeing onryō in my favourite horror stories it had the complete opposite effect on me.).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Russia already has troops in a breakaway corner of Moldova. Maybe not enough to overrun the rest, but enough to fuck around and make trouble.
    Isn't it just 1,500 - 2,500?

  6. #28126
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Isn't it just 1,500 - 2,500?
    About as many for all we know but still enough for disruption.

  7. #28127
    Thank you for clarifying that Moldova is not entirely safe.

    Anyways, when Russia threatens a superpower like the US then it is pretty stupid as fuck, I concede. But when they threaten a minor region, state, or power, it is very valid after what they've done in Ukraine for one example. Skepticism is still high though; I have mentioned Kazakhstan numerous times in regard to their newfound belligerence towards Russia, but no one takes that angle seriously.

    And yes, Russians have threatened Kazak
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2023-01-26 at 09:18 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  8. #28128
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    And china has signed a NATO style defensive pact with the central asian nations.

  9. #28129
    Herald of the Titans Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Entirely comparable to the time Germany spent occupied and divided.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Russia already has troops in a breakaway corner of Moldova. Maybe not enough to overrun the rest, but enough to fuck around and make trouble.
    Yeah, I know, but I bet they're happy being quiet and sitting pretty right now.

    My point is Russia won't be invading properly without being able to go through Ukraine.

  10. #28130
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Yeah, I know, but I bet they're happy being quiet and sitting pretty right now.

    My point is Russia won't be invading properly without being able to go through Ukraine.
    Your point hinges on Ukraine emerging victorious, though. If Ukraine loses, Moldova is fucked, so hopefully, they don't lose.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  11. #28131
    The russians in Moldova are mostly support troops, not combat, and are equipped even worse, at least prior to the war, than the rest of the russian army. Plus there is no way to supply them.

    The threats have led Moldova to talk of dropping their neutrality and joining a military alliance for protection.

  12. #28132
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The russians in Moldova are mostly support troops, not combat, and are equipped even worse, at least prior to the war, than the rest of the russian army. Plus there is no way to supply them.
    as we saw/see in Ukraine, 1500+ Russians are more than enough to rape and murder civilians.

    Remember the other poster said "cause disruption at least." That's what constitutes disruption, not waging an all-out war.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  13. #28133
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Russians not invited to Auschwitz camp liberation commemoration

    Why is this a big deal? Well, they were always invited before, and this is more or less saying "you're a Nazi." The Russians are already raging at the implications and disrespect.
    Fuck em, they are committing a genocide right now in Ukraine.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    no, it's not simple.

    Because apart from the last line, those conditions of reparation you laid out will take probably 50 years minimum for starters alone.

    Many Russians are already aware of this and consider this whole affair a doomsday imposed on them by the West, without admitting it's their fault. They will never admit fault or accept blame. Never.
    The fuck it isn't. Putin should be in the deepest hole they can find right now.

  14. #28134
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,359
    Can I ask if Ukraine needed the tanks without looking like I'm siding with Russia or anything?

    Its a question NATO members asked, struggled with, and obviously ended up saying yes to but I feel like it is necessary that the move has moved the war up a level.

    * Ukraine deserves to defend itself and Russia deserves to get it ass kicked.


    But was the situation bad enough to warrant tanks? I would say yes if I was in Ukraine because I would want all tools available to defend my phone. Is it right for NATO to push weapons they know will escalate the war and get more Ukrainians killed if Ukraine was handling business without the tanks. I also stopped following the war closely so idk.


    Its like you see a person being bullied so you teach them how to fight. The person is able to defend themselves but now has to fight to keep from getting bullied. You give the person a knife so now they dont have to fight as hard knowing their bully will likely get a knife as well and was waiting for an excuse to use said knife. The kid you helped will now forever face unique consequences whether the bully stops or not, things like people coming at them to steal their knife or having to live with the life long consequences of being stabbed if/when they get stabbed.


    I'm leaning on the side of "fuck it, give them more tanks" but I'm saying that as someone an world away that doesn't have to deal with the consequences of an escalated war and the fallout.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  15. #28135
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    The fuck it isn't.
    Really isn't. Killing Putin isn't going to solve everything. In fact, I'd like to share with you all the fact the US today....

    has officially designated Wagner a terror group and has noted it is not exactly in allegiance with Russia, least of all blind subservience to Putin. The statement notes Wagner and its master have their own ambitions.


    So for all we know, Wagner could kill Putin and seize power. It will be a huge power struggle.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  16. #28136
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can I ask if Ukraine needed the tanks without looking like I'm siding with Russia or anything?

    Its a question NATO members asked, struggled with, and obviously ended up saying yes to but I feel like it is necessary that the move has moved the war up a level.

    * Ukraine deserves to defend itself and Russia deserves to get it ass kicked.


    But was the situation bad enough to warrant tanks? I would say yes if I was in Ukraine because I would want all tools available to defend my phone. Is it right for NATO to push weapons they know will escalate the war and get more Ukrainians killed if Ukraine was handling business without the tanks. I also stopped following the war closely so idk.


    Its like you see a person being bullied so you teach them how to fight. The person is able to defend themselves but now has to fight to keep from getting bullied. You give the person a knife so now they dont have to fight as hard knowing their bully will likely get a knife as well and was waiting for an excuse to use said knife. The kid you helped will now forever face unique consequences whether the bully stops or not, things like people coming at them to steal their knife or having to live with the life long consequences of being stabbed if/when they get stabbed.


    I'm leaning on the side of "fuck it, give them more tanks" but I'm saying that as someone an world away that doesn't have to deal with the consequences of an escalated war and the fallout.
    tanks arent a silver bullet but will allow Ukraine to defend themselves from the Russian invasion and are useful for storming Russian defensive positions counter offensives. Escalation is nonsense, what can Russia escalate too when it has already pulled all of its levers?

    Whats the alternative let the bully kill them all without fighting?

    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Really isn't. Killing Putin isn't going to solve everything. In fact, I'd like to share with you all the fact the US today....

    has officially designated Wagner a terror group and has noted it is not exactly in allegiance with Russia, least of all blind subservience to Putin. The statement notes Wagner and its master have their own ambitions.


    So for all we know, Wagner could kill Putin and seize power. It will be a huge power struggle.
    Prigozhin is deeply unpopular in Moscow. Fantasy nonsense.

  17. #28137
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,621
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can I ask if Ukraine needed the tanks without looking like I'm siding with Russia or anything?

    Its a question NATO members asked, struggled with, and obviously ended up saying yes to but I feel like it is necessary that the move has moved the war up a level.

    * Ukraine deserves to defend itself and Russia deserves to get it ass kicked.


    But was the situation bad enough to warrant tanks? I would say yes if I was in Ukraine because I would want all tools available to defend my phone. Is it right for NATO to push weapons they know will escalate the war and get more Ukrainians killed if Ukraine was handling business without the tanks. I also stopped following the war closely so idk.


    Its like you see a person being bullied so you teach them how to fight. The person is able to defend themselves but now has to fight to keep from getting bullied. You give the person a knife so now they dont have to fight as hard knowing their bully will likely get a knife as well and was waiting for an excuse to use said knife. The kid you helped will now forever face unique consequences whether the bully stops or not, things like people coming at them to steal their knife or having to live with the life long consequences of being stabbed if/when they get stabbed.


    I'm leaning on the side of "fuck it, give them more tanks" but I'm saying that as someone an world away that doesn't have to deal with the consequences of an escalated war and the fallout.
    The fight is already "escalated;" Russia hasn't been "going easy" on Ukraine and somehow this is going to push them some over some line. Russia is throwing literally all they have into this short of mobilizing their population for actual war, and that's only because they fear the internal backlash such a move would cause within Russia itself.

    Russia's "response" is only ever amount to the same brutal but pointless nonsense they'd do anyway: blow up a few more civilian buildings and rush more of their soldiers into a meat grinder. Stuff they were going to do anyway, whether Ukraine "gave them a reason" to do it or not.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  18. #28138
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Prigozhin is deeply unpopular in Moscow. Fantasy nonsense.
    assuming he hypothetically does rise to the top, do you think the Russian citizens are going to do anything...? No. What they think of him doesn't matter. And it's already common knowledge this guy desires nothing but power.

    All in all, it's safe to say despite the happy pictures of them together, he's not loyal to Putin.

    And you people should be scared of the fact Wagner is not on anyone's leash.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  19. #28139
    Stood in the Fire Mazza's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    the land of beer, chocolate and waffles
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can I ask if Ukraine needed the tanks without looking like I'm siding with Russia or anything?

    Its a question NATO members asked, struggled with, and obviously ended up saying yes to but I feel like it is necessary that the move has moved the war up a level.

    * Ukraine deserves to defend itself and Russia deserves to get it ass kicked.


    But was the situation bad enough to warrant tanks? I would say yes if I was in Ukraine because I would want all tools available to defend my phone. Is it right for NATO to push weapons they know will escalate the war and get more Ukrainians killed if Ukraine was handling business without the tanks. I also stopped following the war closely so idk.


    Its like you see a person being bullied so you teach them how to fight. The person is able to defend themselves but now has to fight to keep from getting bullied. You give the person a knife so now they dont have to fight as hard knowing their bully will likely get a knife as well and was waiting for an excuse to use said knife. The kid you helped will now forever face unique consequences whether the bully stops or not, things like people coming at them to steal their knife or having to live with the life long consequences of being stabbed if/when they get stabbed.


    I'm leaning on the side of "fuck it, give them more tanks" but I'm saying that as someone an world away that doesn't have to deal with the consequences of an escalated war and the fallout.
    The thing is, it doesn't look like Russia really has good tools to deal with these NATO country tanks. Using your example, the kid is getting body armor, a samurai sword and the training to efficiently wield it while the bully is wearing paper and wields a dull machete. That might be a slight exageration, but the fact remains that just like with HIMARs Russia has no matching tech to counter these. In response, they can only keep doing what they are doing already and every edge Ukraine gets just makes that harder and more costly.

  20. #28140
    Herald of the Titans Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post

    All in all, it's safe to say despite the happy pictures of them together, he's not loyal to Putin.
    Loyalty is fickle, they are all loyal to their own lives and putin keeps them breathing so he's useful, for now. I have no illusions that if and when putin slips up there's plenty of people who will try for the big chair. Some will have a better chance than others.

    As such you can probably say no one is really totally loyal to putin, such is the way of dictatorships.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •