Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Turkey isn't sabotaging Sweden on behest of Russia. Erdogan is playing domestic politics appealing to the nationalists who hate the Kurds and to the religious conservatives who just want someone "stronk" to defend the Quran.

Turkey gives exactly zero fucks about what Putin wants.
    I was more talking about Hungary (Orban) blocking. And sure he said he might ratify it at some point in the coming months but talk is cheap.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I was more talking about Hungary (Orban) blocking. And sure he said he might ratify it at some point in the coming months but talk is cheap.
    Austria, Hungary, and Serbia are Putin's ass kissers in Europe. I would expect them to do anything that serves Putin's interests in a significant way, as well as push pro-Russian propaganda 24/7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Austria, Hungary, and Serbia are Putin's ass kissers in Europe. I would expect them to do anything that serves Putin's interests in a significant way, as well as push pro-Russian propaganda 24/7.
    I'd imagine the countries that have traditionally seen Russia more favorably are going to start looking elsewhere. Russia is just no good right now. It revealed it's poker hand, and all it got was a joker, a get-out-of-jail-free and a Magus of the Vineyard from Magic: The Gathering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I'd imagine the countries that have traditionally seen Russia more favorably are going to start looking elsewhere. Russia is just no good right now. It revealed it's poker hand, and all it got was a joker, a get-out-of-jail-free and a Magus of the Vineyard from Magic: The Gathering.
    Not likely when it comes to Serbia but then again, no one cares about Serbia. Whether what happened was right or wrong, hatred for NATO and the US is just part of Serbian culture at this point and the only one who they perceive as having their back (they don't but what can you do about it) is Russia.

With Hungary I'd say that things could rapidly change if they ever get rid of Orban but I don't really see much will to get rid of Orban. The people still want them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Not likely when it comes to Serbia but then again, no one cares about Serbia. Whether what happened was right or wrong, hatred for NATO and the US is just part of Serbian culture at this point and the only one who they perceive as having their back (they don't but what can you do about it) is Russia.

With Hungary I'd say that things could rapidly change if they ever get rid of Orban but I don't really see much will to get rid of Orban. The people still want them.
    That, or he just is smarter than your average tin pot dictator in that he doesn't rig elections into ridiculousness. I don't actually think that, but if a dictator would rig the elections to win by 52% you'd leave just enough plausibility to have people think it's legit. As for Serbia, they've recently been less happy with russia and they're even going so far as to say that Crimea and the Donbas are legal parts of Ukraine, which isn't exactly supporting russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    That, or he just is smarter than your average tin pot dictator in that he doesn't rig elections into ridiculousness. I don't actually think that, but if a dictator would rig the elections to win by 52% you'd leave just enough plausibility to have people think it's legit. As for Serbia, they've recently been less happy with russia and they're even going so far as to say that Crimea and the Donbas are legal parts of Ukraine, which isn't exactly supporting russia.
    They will still pick Russia over NATO and the US any given day. The trauma is quite significant and I honestly don't blame them for it (because really, most people were not to blame but they all got their infrastructure, hospitals and schools bombed).

As for Orban, he seems to have capitalized on the culture war and the strongman narrative quite well. Now the EU will increasingly shut down the cash flows and that will hurt but will it be enough? I personally doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post

As for Orban, he seems to have capitalized on the culture war and the strongman narrative quite well. Now the EU will increasingly shut down the cash flows and that will hurt but will it be enough? I personally doubt it.
    Its quite funny, he rigs the democracy by controlling the media and harassing opponents. He runs on a nativist/nationalist platform that is ENTIRELY dependent on EU money. They should cut him off.

The funny part for brits is that our far right brexiteers always complained that the EU was a political union and not just an economic one, but its been entirely clear that the EU cares more about economics than political values.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Its quite funny, he rigs the democracy by controlling the media and harassing opponents. He runs on a nativist/nationalist platform that is ENTIRELY dependent on EU money. They should cut him off.

The funny part for brits is that our far right brexiteers always complained that the EU was a political union and not just an economic one, but its been entirely clear that the EU cares more about economics than political values.
    The business of the EU has always been business.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Orban will moan, will do a bunch of domestic propaganda, then vote along with whatever is put in front of him.

Hungary's geopolitical situation is such that it has next to no actual influence and is deeply deeply dependent on the EU. While his domestic policies are a nuisance for the EU, it's more of an optics problem. But once you start hindering the foreign policy interests and the domestic politics of the rest of the EU then you're stepping on toes, and Hungary just doesn't have the weight to get away with it.

Turkey does.

Serbia is irrelevant.

And Austria...Austria is neck deep in the neutrality copium.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've heard from my brother-in-law (Hungarian born, family still there) Orban's internal propaganda machine is very very potent and there are quite a lot of people who straight up believe everything he says. I would not expect him to be going anywhere any time soon, and even if he does, it would likely be for someone with broadly similar policies and opinions. He has simply been too successful pushing "You need me to protect you from the evils of the world"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    From what I've heard from my brother-in-law (Hungarian born, family still there) Orban's internal propaganda machine is very very potent and there are quite a lot of people who straight up believe everything he says. I would not expect him to be going anywhere any time soon, and even if he does, it would likely be for someone with broadly similar policies and opinions. He has simply been too successful pushing "You need me to protect you from the evils of the world"
    I have no doubt there's a sizable segment who feels that way. Hungary has always been known as the most xenophobic of all the old eastern bloc states. (well, in my home country anyway)

It's not news Russia is committing an ethnic and cultural genocide of Ukraine, but yeah:

Russians caught burning any Ukrainian books they find, citing it as Nazi literature that must all be destroyed

Ironically, commentators have stated these actions directly parallel the Nazi's own actions
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    It's not news Russia is committing an ethnic and cultural genocide of Ukraine, but yeah:

Russians caught burning any Ukrainian books they find, citing it as Nazi literature that must all be destroyed

Ironically, commentators have stated these actions directly parallel the Nazi's own actions
    russian soldiers acting like Nazis? Say it ain't so!!

Whaaat?

Whaaaaaaaat? No way.

Pro-russian shills are out in force today spruiking the most bogus set of ludicrous numbers you have ever seen - I'm surprised it hasn't been spruiked here yet by certain posters. In typical russian fashion, their stooges are saying it comes from multiple different places, yet always with the same numbers, just to muddy the waters. It comes from a Turkish newspaper citing an unofficial mossad twitter or a hastily deleted tweet by the EU commissioner or leaked notes from a Biden-Zelesnsky talk.

And also in typical russian fashion it is so over the top in its claims that only the most gullible would fall for it. Which is why Musk did at first, only to make a semi sorry not sorry apology when called out on it.

If you believe this leak, then russia has only used 1/6th of their army and destroyed over half Ukraine's army and only suffered 1/7th the casualties and 1/10th the deaths in the process. And destroyed 10 times the number of planes they have lost, despite verified russian losses being twice as high as claimed. Oh, and if you added up every single planes in the Ukrainian air force, including trainers and transports, it still doesn't reach the number of claimed losses.

And to top if off, it claims that more than 5000 mercenaries and nearly 3000 NATO troops have died in Ukraine. Thats almost as many as Coalition forces suffered in 20 years in Afghanistan. Given all media in russia is state controlled, they just don't understand how the media works in the west. If even one serving NATO soldier was killed in Ukraine, the free press would be all over it in multiple countries. But 3000? There is no chance in hell you could cover up that many dead in the West, unlike in russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    And also in typical russian fashion it is so over the top in its claims that only the most gullible would fall for it. Which is why Musk did at first, only to make a semi sorry not sorry apology when called out on it.
    https://twitter.com/WashingtonPoint/...75655815331845

Im a Turkish journalist & never heard this supposedly Turkish local paper which has no source in it, and says, acc to MOSSAD...
    w no attribution, no link.. it only says "according to claim.."
    Even my aunt would be more careful.
    Rofl, Turkish journalist has no chill and I love him. But real, it's wild to me that so many people, especially so many "Very Smart(TM)" people keep falling for the hilariously low effort, transparent misinformation attempts.

Compare to what they even did during the 2016 US election, these efforts seem positively embarrassing from Russian agents.

do you people feel any sympathy or pity when russians living abroad complain people are being racist and abusive to them?
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    do you people feel any sympathy or pity when russians living abroad complain people are being racist and abusive to them?
    To an extent, yes, they didn't ask for their government to be a twit. But if they support their government: stuff 'em.

they didn't ask for their government to be a twit.
    definition: "a silly or foolish person."

I would not use something rather lighthearted to describe Putin, who is a mass murderer complicit in the deaths and misery of over a billion people in his lifetime.

That aside, for an update on the war front, business is still good between Russia and India

Despite the Russian Federation being heavily sanctioned by many countries that also affect others who try to buy arms from the pariah, some still retain close ties with Moscow. This includes India which remains one of the main clients of the Russian military industry.

This is horrible because it's the business of arms manufacturing. India is seemingly helping Russia's war machine.

definition: "a silly or foolish person."

I would not use something rather lighthearted to describe Putin, who is a mass murderer complicit in the deaths and misery of over a billion people in his lifetime.
    Way to focus on the wrong thing... again.