1. #28801
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    the reason I mostly stopped concerning myself with talks of logistics (food, equipment) is that I sincerely believe Russia has long stopped caring for that stuff.

    So say you're a soldier out there complaining you're hungry or tired (etc). The Russian response would not be to address these concerns but intimidate you back into subordination by threat of violence. I would not be surprised if the lot of people rushing out on-foot don't have much of a choice in the matter to turn around with special divisions set up to kill them if they object.

    That's just their military culture: "Spartans do not surrender. Die honorably or don't come back alive at all."
    Food and water in real life don't work as they do in WoW. It's not an optional buff you can do fine without. Death by dehydration happens in 3-5 days.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

  2. #28802
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    the reason I mostly stopped concerning myself with talks of logistics (food, equipment) is that I sincerely believe Russia has long stopped caring for that stuff.

    So say you're a soldier out there complaining you're hungry or tired (etc). The Russian response would not be to address these concerns but intimidate you back into subordination by threat of violence. I would not be surprised if the lot of people rushing out on-foot don't have much of a choice in the matter to turn around with special divisions set up to kill them if they object.

    That's just their military culture: "Spartans do not surrender. Die honorably or don't come back alive at all."
    So you finally agree that this "blitzkrieg" is a failure because the Russian soldiers are going to be emaciated due to lack of provisions and even the threat of violence won't improve performance.

  3. #28803
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    not much progress yet judging from the disastrous reports of the early stages of this all-out assault. But remember the idea of throwing thousands of lives away for incremental gains. That's what they're trying to do, evidently, but with much bigger numbers this time. Biggest yet.
    How many gains have they made so far? How much further are they now compared to where they started, and how many losses did it take?

  4. #28804
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    So you finally agree that this "blitzkrieg" is a failure because the Russian soldiers are going to be emaciated due to lack of provisions and even the threat of violence won't improve performance.
    I've said before that what I'm most interested in, above all else, is what happens after this all-all blitzkrieg or whatever you want to refer to it fails...

    I'm not vouching for Russia to pull some miraculous victory against overwhelming odds. I just want to see what happens - what they do - if/when they fail this offensive and retreat from Ukraine altogether to tell Putin straight-up it's over.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  5. #28805
    Combat is an exhausting business. Soldiers need to eat or they can not function. Even the Spartans. Back in the Pelloponesian War, the Athenians forced a band if Spartans to surrender by starving them out.

  6. #28806
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I'm not vouching for Russia to pull some miraculous victory against overwhelming odds.
    Again, you could have fooled me.

  7. #28807
    Titan Yunru's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    12,480


    By the looks of the report, it doesnt look good for russan invasion.
    If fields are also mined as reported, i could see a lot of russan numbers lost due to minefields.
    They are probaly reducing the non-russan citizen numbers so they dont have to suppy them and hope to cause some damage in process.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

  8. #28808
    Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    the reason I mostly stopped concerning myself with talks of logistics (food, equipment) is that I sincerely believe Russia has long stopped caring for that stuff.

    So say you're a soldier out there complaining you're hungry or tired (etc). The Russian response would not be to address these concerns but intimidate you back into subordination by threat of violence. I would not be surprised if the lot of people rushing out on-foot don't have much of a choice in the matter to turn around with special divisions set up to kill them if they object.

    That's just their military culture: "Spartans do not surrender. Die honorably or don't come back alive at all."
    This is not how the real world works. If you tried to force march people from the border to Kiev without any food or water, be it 1 person or 1 billion people, they would die without a bullet needing to be fired. It's not a question of comfort, it's not a question of being nice to the troops, it's literally about what the body requires to do that level of exertion. Trying to intimidate or threaten a person who is incapable of standing is not going to work, it doesn't matter what you say. There is a minimum level of logistics that is required for an army to exist at all, and when you're talking 500,000 people in hostile territory with destroyed infrastructure, that minimum level is quite challenging to reach.

    (Also, despite pop culture, actual historical Spartans did both retreat and surrender. So even your cultural comparison is junk.)

  9. #28809
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    This is not how the real world works. If you tried to force march people from the border to Kiev without any food or water, be it 1 person or 1 billion people, they would die without a bullet needing to be fired. It's not a question of comfort, it's not a question of being nice to the troops, it's literally about what the body requires to do that level of exertion. Trying to intimidate or threaten a person who is incapable of standing is not going to work, it doesn't matter what you say. There is a minimum level of logistics that is required for an army to exist at all, and when you're talking 500,000 people in hostile territory with destroyed infrastructure, that minimum level is quite challenging to reach.
    Logic like that isn't really applied to Russians, as you can see with today's aforementioned tank disaster (i.e, their sense of reasoning).

    Warning: Nothing graphic or particularly NSFW, but still live combat footage.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  10. #28810
    Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Logic like that isn't really applied to Russians, as you can see with today's aforementioned tank disaster (i.e, their sense of reasoning).

    Warning: Nothing graphic or particularly NSFW, but still live combat footage.
    Again. It's not logic or reasoning. It's like trying to threaten a car into driving without any gas in the tank. It. Can. Not. Happen. The fact that you think the Russians are all some sort of superhuman magic entities that do not require food or drink to live is absolutely bonkers insane, and really has no business in any discussion of events happening on Earth.

  11. #28811
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Again. It's not logic or reasoning. It's like trying to threaten a car into driving without any gas in the tank. It. Can. Not. Happen. The fact that you think the Russians are all some sort of superhuman magic entities that do not require food or drink to live is absolutely bonkers insane, and really has no business in any discussion of events happening on Earth.
    never implied that. I think the Russians will lose, as I've stated many times before. This offensive will fail. We're all only mildly surprised they went through with their bold assault anyway

    I just want to know what happens when it does fail and they have to report to Putin about the loss. That is all.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  12. #28812
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I did say before their plan was to just to overwhelm with sheer numbers and this is pretty much what was expected; what will continue. People couldn't believe the idea Russians would just throw themselves on-foot in human wave attacks.

    But you didn't mention that for all their human wave attacks, the humans on-foot are being supported by massive flashy missile strikes and more Iranian support.

    On February 10, the enemy launched a massive missile attack on the critical infrastructure of Ukraine.
    From the air, the enemy attacked with eight Tu-95ms strategic bombers, which launched Kh-101 and Kh-555 missiles from the Caspian Sea and Volgodonsk regions.
    From the ships in the Black Sea - with Kalibr-type sea-based cruise missiles.

    As of 11:30 a.m., the enemy launched 71 Kh-101, Kh-555, and Caliber cruise missiles (including night launches).

    The forces and means of air defense of the Air Force and other components of the Defense Forces of Ukraine destroyed 61 enemy cruise missiles and 5 kamikaze drones "Shahed-136/131", which were reported earlier.

    According to Ukrainian officials, they claim they have shot down 61 of 71 cruise missiles.
    YOU didn't believe. YOU thought Russia has some super secret yet-unused stores of equipment and vehicles they will suddenly throw at Ukraine. YOU were wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I just want to know what happens when it does fail and they have to report to Putin about the loss. That is all.
    Putin will tell the commanders to send in more soldiers and the commanders will send in more soldiers. This will continue until one of the commanders administers Putin 8 grams of lead to the brain.

  13. #28813
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    YOU didn't believe. YOU thought Russia has some super secret yet-unused stores of equipment and vehicles they will suddenly throw at Ukraine. YOU were wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Putin will tell the commanders to send in more soldiers and the commanders will send in more soldiers. This will continue until one of the commanders administers Putin 8 grams of lead to the brain.
    1) I mean to be fair, about yesterday before the all-out assault formally began, they pulled out those mentioned number of tanks and jets and etc out of nowhere.

    Related though, half a day into Russia's all-out final assault, things are not looking good on the Vulhedar front as Russians have been shown on live-footage being massacred and mined to death. They've lost a lot of tanks already.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2023-02-11 at 06:14 AM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  14. #28814
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    never implied that. I think the Russians will lose, as I've stated many times before. This offensive will fail. We're all only mildly surprised they went through with their bold assault anyway

    I just want to know what happens when it does fail and they have to report to Putin about the loss. That is all.
    Tell us what will happen? Is it the N word you're looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  15. #28815
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    1) I mean to be fair, about yesterday before the all-out assault formally began, they pulled out those mentioned number of tanks and jets and etc out of their ass.
    Fixed that for you. Stop believing anything that comes out of russia.


    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Related though, half a day into Russia's all-out final assault, things are not looking good on the Vulhedar front as Russians have been shown on live-footage being massacred and mined to death. They've lost a lot of tanks already.
    Its not going to be the final assault. They will continue doing this until russia stops existing.

  16. #28816
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Tell us what will happen? Is it the N word you're looking for?
    I don't know, but it won't be like what Gabriel hopes for. No one is going to ever get near killing Putin, let alone from a military man. But eventually, they are going to have to report bad news to a man unwilling to accept anything but absolute victory and has even set a deadline (March).

    On February 22th, Putin even plans to host another pop concert of things supposedly going very well for the Russians, himself attending unless you believe in those body double stories.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  17. #28817
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Fixed that for you. Stop believing anything that comes out of russia.
    It was actually Ukraine which published those numbers, not russia. But yeah, otherwise don't trust anything-

  18. #28818
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Its not going to be the final assault.
    With 500k men dead, almost five times the 180k estimated deaths over a year, along with all the tanks and shit they've mounted for this assault, I'm pretty confident this will be Russia's last major offensive should they lose. Mainly based on the fact Ukraine can bolster their defenses over summer even further so that a comeback will be insurmountable for the Russians.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  19. #28819
    Russia's blitz Feb 24 of last year was supposed to end Ukraine in a few days..

  20. #28820
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    With 500k men dead, almost five times the 180k estimated deaths over a year, along with all the tanks and shit they've mounted for this assault, I'm pretty confident this will be Russia's last major offensive should they lose. Mainly based on the fact Ukraine can bolster their defenses over summer even further so that a comeback will be insurmountable for the Russians.
    Never underestimate the willingness of russians to die for their dictator.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •