The ERA brick memes are hilarious.

Prig is on vodka and coke more than usual. Now he wants his band of throwaway terrorists to duel Finnish troops.

As much as I'd want to see the utter devastation they'd get in the duel, it's not worth a single Finnish life. Not unless the stakes are something like... Finland wins; RuZZia ceases to be. Or something in that magnitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The ERA brick memes are hilarious.
    Yep:
    https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...69/273/b75.png

I kinda wonder who suppys them with so many reactive armor tho...
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Prig is on vodka and coke more than usual. Now he wants his band of throwaway terrorists to duel Finnish troops.

As much as I'd want to see the utter devastation they'd get in the duel, it's not worth a single Finnish life. Not unless the stakes are something like... Finland wins; RuZZia ceases to be. Or something in that magnitude.
    Oh do spill the tea where did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Oh do spill the tea where did he say that?
    https://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/a/...2-616b9683f0cf

Sorry to anyone who doesn't read Finnish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Yep:
    https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...69/273/b75.png

I kinda wonder who suppys them with so many reactive armor tho...
    They were either given the entire Eastern European stockpile, or they can actually make them themselves.

I wager it's probably both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    https://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/a/...2-616b9683f0cf

Sorry to anyone who doesn't read Finnish
    What an incredible idiot XD. I mean the Finnish army would mop up the floor with his band of misfits... Maybe someone should remind him of Simo Häyhä.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    the best is still that airport zerg on day 1, where they dropped 'elite' soldiers way behind enemy lines to secure the airport with small arms and the ukranians just turned up with tanks and wiped them. Some stupid shit.
    Hehe of all the retarded WW2 tactics that Russia based their hastily thrown together invasion on, some are just harder to comprehend. Most of all those actions that does not in any way rest on some level of western intel. All airports especially that one being a prime target was obvious to any layman and to the planners as well.
    Yet sending a force that depended on air superiority and reinforcements of which themselvevs was part of an invasion that as a whole made it glaringly obvious that the Russian military is corrupt, poorly trained, ill-equipped and generally perform PISS POOR which was unexpected to the west but not to the Russian military higher-ups but they did it nevertheless.

Pure joy that some of the best trained troops on paper if nothing else got sent to an immediate grave.
    I toast every single dead Russian soldier involved in the war with my Friday gin & tonic. This Friday its a Japanese gin named Ruku that will have that honor.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

The poor communication between branches of the russian military is by design. The military can't plot a coop against you if nobody is talking to each other.

In the immortal words of one Ukrainian soldier: "We are very lucky that they are so fucking stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Hehe of all the retarded WW2 tactics that Russia based their hastily thrown together invasion on, some are just harder to comprehend. Most of all those actions that does not in any way rest on some level of western intel. All airports especially that one being a prime target was obvious to any layman and to the planners as well.
    Yet sending a force that depended on air superiority and reinforcements of which themselvevs was part of an invasion that as a whole made it glaringly obvious that the Russian military is corrupt, poorly trained, ill-equipped and generally perform PISS POOR which was unexpected to the west but not to the Russian military higher-ups but they did it nevertheless.

Pure joy that some of the best trained troops on paper if nothing else got sent to an immediate grave.
    I toast every single dead Russian soldier involved in the war with my Friday gin & tonic. This Friday its a Japanese gin named Ruku that will have that honor.
    From a purely theoretical stand point the attack on Hostomel made perfect sense.

This is not a novel concept, the US also did a couple of these Zerg Rushes for example in Iraq on various airports, sometimes with little else than a bunch of Humvees.

There were two points of difference tho. 1 the US had complete and total air superiority so it could actually provide air support and the moment the airports were taken they could start flying in supplies and reinforcements. 2 the US could actually reinforce the fast moving units. If the Iraqis couldn't stop the Humvees they sure as shit weren't going to stop the Bradleys, Strykers and Abrams rolling in right behind.

Market Garden (the whole A Bridge too Far thing) was ambitious. The Russians were literally delusional. They couldn't even unfuck themselves from the traffic jam they created, even before the Ukrainians started popping their tanks with Manpads and Artillery.

The theory was sound, but the notion that they could pull it off was... delusional.

I don't think we have ever seen another major military in history that would have been as unaware of its own capabilities and limitations as the Russians.

I think even Napoleon was more realistic about his Russian invasion plans than the Russians were about Ukraine.

I was one of those people who thought the Russians would overwhelm the conventional Ukrainian military relative quickly. None of those 2 to 10 day things, but probably a couple of weeks...but I also were just as convinced that Ukraine would turn into "Afghanistan but worse" as I didn't think the Ukrainians would take kindly to an occupation or regime change.

But I was operating off the idea of a Russian military that was actually semi competent and decently lead by career officers.

Basically I bought the Russians propaganda about themselves. What's weird tho as that seemingly even the propagandists bought into their own propaganda. That's just weird tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    But I was operating off the idea of a Russian military that was actually semi competent and decently lead by career officers.

Basically I bought the Russians propaganda about themselves. What's weird tho as that seemingly even the propagandists bought into their own propaganda. That's just weird tho.
    It's incredible how arguably Russia's biggest success in recent decades is convincing the world they have a trained, technologically advanced, effective military, including intelligence agencies. And it would still be the case had Putin not decided to start his "3 day special operation" that's now around 400 days or so in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's incredible how arguably Russia's biggest success in recent decades is convincing the world they have a trained, technologically advanced, effective military, including intelligence agencies. And it would still be the case had Putin not decided to start his "3 day special operation" that's now around 400 days or so in.
    They were so good at it that they even managed to convince themselves and the Pootie! Now THAT'S a max lvl propaganda!
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-04-18 at 06:34 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think we have ever seen another major military in history that would have been as unaware of its own capabilities and limitations as the Russians.
    I don't actually think the army was that unaware...If anything I think putin was the one unaware. I mean everything points to him not actually telling anyone of his plans and just going ahead based on his faulty information.

15+ Year Old Account

Cool

I don't actually think the army was that unaware...If anything I think putin was the one unaware. I mean everything points to him not actually telling anyone of his plans and just going ahead based on his faulty information.
    That is an established fact by now given noone had any clue where they were going and what manner, nor orders to prepare for anything unusual.
    And coupled with Putler entirely surrounded by yes-men of which at least some must have known the idiocy and unpreparedness for it but decided it was advantageous to keep silent about it.
    Russian patriotism among the military and political elite right there.
    Let people die no matter how many as long as I got the ruler's favor. That hasent changed well, has it ever not been the case?..

@Elder Millennial
    From my laymen knowledge which might be a bit off. Market Guarden was, well I wouldn't say a sound plan per the usual definition but given the benefit of it being successful and shortening the war with months it was deemed as a high risk high reward. And Britain in the mood of feeling a bit sidelined wanted a "bigger role", special shoutout Monty.
    But hey, Market garden, Ardenne Offensive, Russia's invasion of Ukraine could have worked but it says a bit of what happens if a plan all depend on its zillion objectives all being met.

However Russia as always view themselves as being successful of that which others fail with just a healthy dose of patriotism, grit and determination
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

It was basically him not telling anyone the plans that really needed to know. But also no one telling him just how bad the corruption in the military actually is. The only part of the military Putin ever took notice of is the Nuclear deterrent part of it, everything else was of no interest to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    However Russia as always view themselves as being successful of that which others fail with just a healthy dose of patriotism, grit and determination
    I wouldn't say Russians are really operating out of those things at all. I'd say their operational attitudes at this point range between acting out of either malevolence or acting (or being complicit with what's happening) out of fear.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I think even Napoleon was more realistic about his Russian invasion plans than the Russians were about Ukraine.
    Napoleon based on his plan on his ability to defeat any army that gave battle. The Russians simply did not until the French were already freezing and hungry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I would say their greatest success in recent decades is creating a trained, technologically advanced, effective military. It's called the Ukrainian Army.

- - - Updated - - -

Russia’s War Against Ukraine Is Advancing LGBTQ Rights.

That's just a bill proposal.

And if the stance on these issues from surrounding baltic / slavic countries is any indication, i would guess that this bill is not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    That's just a bill proposal.

And if the stance on these issues from surrounding baltic / slavic countries is any indication, i would guess that this bill is not going anywhere.
    The article claims public opinion is in a flux but changing towards acceptance.

And it makes sense. After all, they have a great power saying "death to all gays and to you as well" and a superpower saying "maybe just leave gays alone, also, have these tanks and guns".

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    The article claims public opinion is in a flux but changing towards acceptance.
    I saw the source and wanted to check it out but unfortunately the entire PDF is in Cyrillic letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    And it makes sense. After all, they have a great power saying "death to all gays and to you as well" and a superpower saying "maybe just leave gays alone, also, have these tanks and guns".
    All Baltic countries also hate Russia and aren't too hot on the topic of LQBTIA+ rights, being against Russia doesn't mean one supports the rights of these groups.

This is likely more based on "Russia is taking it too far", but this is a far cry from supporting actual policy - especially when there's a war going on.