Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    With what troops? They could get Belarusian army to invade Ukraine when Russia still had all of their troops. What makes you think they could do it now?
    you and I may think often "how can Russia do this impossible shit" when it evidently looks like they can't. But the truth is, Russia somehow just does do crazy shit in defiance of logic often, if only because they have the philosophy of banging your head against a wall until you break through.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    you and I may think often "how can Russia do this impossible shit" when it evidently looks like they can't. But the truth is, Russia somehow just does do crazy shit in defiance of logic often, if only because they have the philosophy of banging your head against a wall until you break through.
    Or, in the case of Russia, until they are brain dead.

The only impossible thing russia has done is fuck up the invasion as badly as they have.

They didn't have the troops to deal with a minor incursion of a couple of hundred men so how are they meant to do anything against a whole other country.

- - - Updated - - -

So how is russia's economy going? Not to well, going by this article.

They seem to be returning to soviet style state control. While claiming their economy only shrunk by 2%, it came about by a huge increase in state spending on the military to offset the huge fall in civilian spending and a fall in the standard of living. And on top of that, they want to return to soviet style 6 day work weeks due to the economic demands of the war, but still only pay them for 5. Entirely 'voluntarily' of course. And the head of RT wants everyone to volunteer for 2 hour shifts in weapon factories after their regular work. (Not her of course - that would damage her manicure.)

Russia attacking Belarus would be beyond stupid. Their army might not be anything special, but Russia wouldn't have much more than conscripts and whatever hardware is too shitty for the front in Ukraine to send as well. Opening a second front while they're barely accomplishing anything on the first and shattering their alliance with Belarus would be singularly useless. Russia has already precious few friends left in the region to start committing to stunts like that.

I mean, if Putin is retarded enough to do it, by all means let him. Means a few sighs of relief in Kiev, more bottles of champagne opened in Washington and a hell of a lot more people dead for the sake of a oligarchy's wounded pride.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Any idea what Erdogan's victory in Turkey elections means for Ukraine? People are already fearing he'll be pro Putin.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Any idea what Erdogan's victory in Turkey elections means for Ukraine? People are already fearing he'll be pro Putin.
    Erdogan is pro-Erdogan. Not Pro-Putin. If he continues with his inane interest rate policies, he will also be pro-national bankruptcy.

In a desperate attempt to hit anything, russia has been sending waves of drones and missiles at Kyiv, starting at night and going into the day but failing. Ukraine reported more than 60 missiles and drones shot down during the night attack alone.

Meanwhile Ukraine launched shadow storm missiles at numerous targets in the south resulting in multiple hits on military targets.

It really is showing the difference between russian and western tech - air defence was meant to be russia's strength but it is being outperformed by a wide margin.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2023-05-29 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    In a desperate attempt to hit anything, russia has been sending waves of drones and missiles at Kyiv, starting at night and going into the day but failing. Ukraine reported more than 60 missiles and drones shot down during the night attack alone.

Meanwhile Ukraine launched shadow storm missiles at numerous targets in the south resulting in multiple hits on military targets.

It really is showing the difference between russian and western tech - air defence was meant to be russia's strength but it is being outperformed by a wide margin.
    I still remember when Turkey bought S300 and S400 from Russia and the US ended up denying them F35, Ruskibots back then used to talk about how Ruski missiles are the stronkest.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    I still remember when Turkey bought S300 and S400 from Russia and the US ended up denying them F35, Ruskibots back then used to talk about how Ruski missiles are the stronkest.
    To be fair, the inneffectiveness of Russia's anti air systems was also a bit of a surprise to military experts that are absolutely NOT pro Russia... but I guess that goes for the ineffectiveness of the entire Russian army.

To be fair, Ukraine did well with the s300, but they have done much better with Western systems despite minimal experience and training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    To be fair, the inneffectiveness of Russia's anti air systems was also a bit of a surprise to military experts that are absolutely NOT pro Russia... but I guess that goes for the ineffectiveness of the entire Russian army.
    Heck are the systems really fundamentally poor or is the problem simply lack of proper support and maintenance?

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Russia just built a fake reputation that they are this invincible military giant that is very intimidating. As Ukraine showed, they are not, it's all smoke and mirrors. Poorly equipped, poorly trained, military tech 10 years behind western tech, and having massive issues with logistics.

As usual, the only thing Russia has is numbers. Russia is the Zerg of real life armies, and history showed that Russian leaders care as much about their own soldiers, as Zerg care about their own units. But then when your strategy is based on throwing cheap and fast soldiers at the enemy, you really can't give a crap about their lives.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-05-29 at 12:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    As usual, the only thing Russia has is numbers. Russia is the Zerg of real life armies, and history showed that Russian leaders care as much about their own soldiers, as Zerg care about their own units. But then when you strategy is based on throwing cheap and fast soldiers at the enemy, you really can't give a crap about their lives.

Yeah but the Zerg are still effective...something you can't really say of the russian Zerg tactics.. (I still find it hilarious how, early in the war, an Ukrainian (army) official literally compared russian tactics to Zerg tactics in an interview.)

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Heck are the systems really fundamentally poor or is the problem simply lack of proper support and maintenance?
    I think it's the lack of proper support and maintenance. We know that Russia has good scientists, and we know that isn't faked because we poach them whenever possible. So we know that, at a basic level, the tech SHOULD be better than we're seeing because the people designing it do legitimately know what they're doing. Somewhere between design and use however is way more issues than we ever imagined. Could be lack of maintenance, could be issues in the manufacturing to begin with, but whatever it is has been absolutely crippling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I think it's the lack of proper support and maintenance. We know that Russia has good scientists, and we know that isn't faked because we poach them whenever possible. So we know that, at a basic level, the tech SHOULD be better than we're seeing because the people designing it do legitimately know what they're doing. Somewhere between design and use however is way more issues than we ever imagined. Could be lack of maintenance, could be issues in the manufacturing to begin with, but whatever it is has been absolutely crippling.
    The problem is that every billion dollars they spend on defence only gets them $500m worth of gear that is barely worth the $200m that they paid for it. And when they get the $100m worth of gear that's been stored away out to use, they find half of it is unusable because the people responsible for storing and maintaining it are just as corrupt as the people that bought it in the first place.

Turns out that the US experts didn't take this into account, just as the Russian top brass didn't.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    The problem is that every billion dollars they spend on defence only gets them $500m worth of gear that is barely worth the $200m that they paid for it. And when they get the $100m worth of gear that's been stored away out to use, they find half of it is unusable because the people responsible for storing and maintaining it are just as corrupt as the people that bought it in the first place.

Turns out that the US experts didn't take this into account, just as the Russian top brass didn't.
    Depending on who you believe the top brass was well aware they just never thought it would be put to the test and putin didn't know so he put it to the test. My main issue here is that I've got a hard time believing putin could be so deceived...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Here, let me illustrate.

Design -> CORRUPTION ->use.

Here's something I didn't expect to do - defend Lindsey Graham. The russians have issued an arrest warrant for him and medvedev insinuated he be assassinated whikw the head of RT outright called for it.

His crime? Saying aid to Ukraine was the best money ever spent (which is true.)

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Here's something I didn't expect to do - defend Lindsey Graham. The russians have issued an arrest warrant for him and medvedev insinuated he be assassinated whikw the head of RT outright called for it.

His crime? Saying aid to Ukraine was the best money ever spent (which is true.)
    Russia also has arrest warrants for the international court for saying there were warcrimes in Ukraine.

Imagine such hilarious bullshit.

Im sure the conservatives see the value in real time, real world weapons testing.

Not to sound callous but the usage of the HIMARs and the Patriots in action has probably saved millions in tests, and on top of that against some of the best weapons the russians had at their disposal.