10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    While it's easy to brush this off as tough talk
    You're right, it was easy.
    /s

Russian soldiers prefer death than to be captured by the Ukrainians

In Blahodatne, Russians committed suicide not to be captured

“The Russians who took up residence in the local House of Culture were the most stubborn,” the military shared.

At first, the Ukrainian military offered them to surrender, but the Russians refused. When the Ukrainians burst in eventually, they discovered the Russians killed themselves.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

“The Russians who took up residence in the local House of Culture were the most stubborn,” the military shared.

At first, the Ukrainian military offered them to surrender, but the Russians refused. When the Ukrainians burst in eventually, they discovered the Russians killed themselves.
    Considering they have been raping, pillaging, and literally genociding the Ukrainian people, death is too easy for them.

1+ Year Old Account

Maybe because they were involved in war crimes earlier and they knew that the Ukrainians are aware of that, so they just took the easy way out.

Prisoners are very valuable because they can be interrogated and/or traded back to the enemy for favors and for their own people taken prisoner by the enemy.

Unless of course the prisoners in question may have somehow attracted the anger of their captor, and their captor may want some retribution. Then there is a reason to fear being captured.

Also, it's not strategically sound to have a reputation of "no prisoners" and "no survivors". Being feared just means the other side will fight to the death so they don't get captured, making what would be an easy victory for you, rather costly and hard if the enemy is extremely stubborn.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-06-15 at 09:25 AM.

they likely believe the Ukrainians will torture them
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

1+ Year Old Account
    Then just give away the answers freely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I find myself agreeing with you...However I'm assuming the reason they believe that is simple propaganda and brainwashing.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

And yet, I've seen plenty of video of Russian soldiers surrendering successfully to Ukrainians. There's one with like 20 million views of a Russian dude communicating with a drone, that eventually drops him a letter with directions on where to go, and it even encourages him to try. We then see that he successfully manages to get around the fighting and surrenders. Something tells me the Russians who refuse to surrender are the bad ones who were enjoying the fighting, not the ones that wished they weren't there to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    It likely has to do with the families of the soldiers who surrender. What do you think Putin's recruiters back home are going to do when they find out one of the guys they "recruited" said "fuck this" and turned?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Wow, I find myself agreeing with you...However I'm assuming the reason they believe that is simple propaganda and brainwashing.
    Pretty much.

The Ukrainians on average are not mistreating Russian POWs in a major part because their whole national defence hinges upon staying in the good graces of the western world.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Pretty much.

The Ukrainians on average are not mistreating Russian POWs in a major part because their whole national defence hinges upon staying in the good graces of the western world.
    I do wonder if the POWs as well get visits from the two Russian groups to see if they want to sign up for their fight against Putin as well. With free choice of if they want to join or not. (Once vetted of course)

A lot of videos coming out today of Russian POW's should point towards a good sign.

Thanks for taking a break from posting Russian propaganda to prove that they're also just fucking stupid. *thumbs up*

The Russians have been crying about war crimes every time Ukraine does something. Taking advantage of Russian stupidity isn't a war crime tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because they decided to clump up and be stationary doesn't mean they suddenly ceased to be active combatants, that wasn't a war crime.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Just because they decided to clump up and be stationary doesn't mean they suddenly ceased to be active combatants, that wasn't a war crime.
    That's what we in the biz call a 'Skill Issue'.

1+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a legitimate military target to me.

One SHOULD take advantage of the enemy's stupidity or vulnerabilities.

Fun Fact: If you are an active military personnel and you are at war with someone else, regardless of if you joined voluntarily or were conscripted, you are always considered an active military target. If they did not want to be targets, they should have just surrendered right from the start, even if they were forced to join.

This isn't a war crime anymore then bombing a military base is a war crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Fun Fact: If you are an active military personnel and you are at war with someone else, regardless of if you joined voluntarily or were conscripted, you are always considered an active military target. If they did not want to be targets, they should have just surrendered right from the start, even if they were forced to join.

This isn't a war crime anymore then bombing a military base is a war crime.
    This is the "Nuking the Naval Review" problem. It is an absolutely legitimate target, but it's got PR issues, no matter how justified (or not) your cause is. Winning is important for Ukraine, yes, but poor choice of targets can turn public sentiment very easily, even if those targets are legitimate. Approval of Russia is low, even internally, even among the military, approval of the Ukraine is currently high pretty much everywhere. Russia doesn't need good PR internally or externally, so there's no need to give them an excuse to get some. Ukraine on the other hand is heavily reliant on outside forces thinking highly of them, and they can't afford to lose that.

I'm not saying it was an illegal target. Just a poorly chosen one.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.