1. #31941
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I get the impression that there's a small but stodgy "anti-west" element at play here. I'm assuming, money-wise, it traces back to Russia in some way, shape, or form, with contrarian assholes along for the ride trying to operate under some fake intelligentsia guise.

    In essence, due to "the west's" history, everything in the modern world is and continues to be their fault. Hell, we had people in this thread laying the blame for this nonsense at the feet of the US for "not helping Russia and Ukraine come to peace agreements" and for "goading Ukraine on by helping arm them," and of course others droning on about how "reckless NATO expansion forced Russia to attack."

    They're anti-military industrial complex, anti-capitalist and anti-war to the point of inanity because they only apply them to western interests. In their mind Russia isn't as bad for attacking Ukraine as the west, because the west helps Ukraine and therefore makes the war last longer. Russia's industrial war machine isn't as bad as the west's because the west is "maliciously making profits" funding Ukrainian resistance.

    It's all very empty and hollow and they have no real response to "Russia could end this any time they wanted by leaving" and generally resort back to "NATO made Russia do it! They wanted this! They tricked them!" as if Russia had no agency of its own in doing a bald-faced territorial invasion.
    Someone, I think Kraut his name was, said that these western leftists hate Eastern Europe because of the fall of Soviet. They hate Ukraine for, in their minds, destroying this utopia. Soviet nostalgics. So it's easy for them to be "swayed." However, the larger problem lies in the "theories" these universities buy into since it's what keeps it going generation after generation. They are little better than horoscopes. I dunno if it's russia financing them (probably, partially), but I think we should stop blaming everything on external forces. russia doesn't create the problems, they just nudge the ones already there.

    For those interested, I would recommend Vlad Vexler to try to understand what is going on. Here's one about democratic decline, here's one recent from his second channel and the youtube algorithm and why it seems to push towards differen't views and here's him reacting to Jordan Peterson's idiotic take on Ukraine.

    Vladislav Vexler is a political philosopher and a big proponent of giving way more to Ukraine and that we in the West need to decide to help Ukraine WIN, not just survive. Just fyi.
    Last edited by Voidism; 2023-06-19 at 03:52 PM.

  2. #31942
    Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,058
    I'm sure there are some historical complaints going back 100+ years, and in fairness all of the world powers in the East and West were 'colonial' to some degree really through the 1970's. Although in Africa especially with Russia and China that attempt to influence and create reliance is still very much active.

    But in terms of the Ukraine-Russia topic, that's also missing the forest for the trees when there is a major power, not only forcibly invading it's neighbor with a surprise attack, but also openly aiming for the re-establishment of the Soviet Union with troops flying Soviet flags...i.e. the plan isn't to stop in Ukraine. So while Russia is not that far off shelling villages with aims of more Eastern European countries being next if successful, the negativity about what a Western country did or didn't do 50 or 100 years ago doesn't seem nearly as imminently important.

  3. #31943
    Today vatniks blew up their own medevac, because they thought it was Ukrainians disguised as Russians, since it was actually going for the wounded Russians.

  4. #31944
    Herald of the Titans enigma77's Avatar
    3+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Today vatniks blew up their own medevac, because they thought it was Ukrainians disguised as Russians, since it was actually going for the wounded Russians.
    I wish this site had upvotes.

  5. #31945
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Today vatniks blew up their own medevac, because they thought it was Ukrainians disguised as Russians, since it was actually going for the wounded Russians.
    Is this too one of the super secret advanced strategery techniques we've been hearing about from some folks? Does this get added to the list of, "secretly brilliant tactics" alongside "sinking your own warship in an enemy harbor"?

  6. #31946
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    15,282
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Anatoly Berezikov, 40, died by suicide following his arrest on suspicion of treason for putting up posters that called for the Russian army to leave Ukraine.
    Nah, nope, that's bait. That's propaganda. Nuh uh.

  7. #31947
    Brewmaster Cynical Asshole's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Bucharest. Romania.
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Today vatniks blew up their own medevac, because they thought it was Ukrainians disguised as Russians, since it was actually going for the wounded Russians.
    When you believe the enemy would pull a war crime on you, because it's something you would totally do yourself if you had the chance.

  8. #31948
    A trending article claims it's morally acceptable to be paranoid, if not racist, of any Russian as long as their government doesn't collapse.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  9. #31949
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    A trending article claims it's morally acceptable to be paranoid, if not racist, of any Russian as long as their government doesn't collapse.
    Finally found someone to give you a pass there?

  10. #31950
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Finally found someone to give you a pass there?
    no, it's heinous as fuck
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  11. #31951
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    no, it's heinous as fuck
    Can you stop?

    You literally dug up some random article from 2 month old click bait farm that will publish literally anything and everything.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/20/b...s-startup.html

    I never even heard of "The Messenger" until this moment. "Trending" where is it "trending" on their bot farms?

    Every day, I'm getting less Russophobic and more Yuppiephobic.

    And one more fucking time, the article doesn't even say what you claim it says! You are so exhausting to deal with.

    The reasons for this continuity are, above all, cultural and geographic. Russian political and religious culture glorifies hierarchy and obedience to the powers that be, even if they are bloodthirsty. Russian political culture claims that Russia is a civilization unto itself, one that is unique, boundless and endowed with a Messianic mission. There is, alas, much truth to the claim that the Kremlin’s Western and Russian apologists make that Russia is dictatorial and imperialist because authoritarianism and empire apparently are exactly what many, if not most, Russians want.
    Followed by explaining

    Russia’s non-Russian neighbors know all too well that their encounters with Muscovy and its later hypostases — the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union, and the Russian Federation — brought little comfort and much pain. Western Europeans and North Americans may lecture them about the logical pitfalls of all-too-embracing generalizations, but the non-Russians know that the only logic that matters to them and their survival is that of inexorable Russian expansionism and unwavering Russian indifference to or pride in the crimes committed in their name.

    Can one fault the non-Russians for being Russophobes? Can one fault the Balts, Poles, Georgians and Ukrainians, in particular, for hating Russia and damning it to hell? Not at all. Both morality and the existential need to survive dictate that Russophobia is the only possible response to the Russian state’s evil. Russia’s decision to supplement the genocide of Ukrainians with the ecocide of Ukraine has made Russophobia a moral obligation and a badge of honor.
    Concluding

    But non-Russian Russophobia goes only so far. For hatred of the evil empire to translate into genuine change, Russians must embrace Russophobia and thereby initiate their country’s move toward decency. That won’t be easy. They’ll have to dissociate themselves from the state that claims to personify them and prioritize their moral value as human beings over the power and the glory promised by the evil empire. Turning against Vladimir Putin and his entourage would be a good place to start.

    Ultimately, Russophobia exists and will continue to exist because the Russians tolerate and embrace the crimes of their state. The ball is in their court. If they fail to turn against Russia and make it democratic, Russophobia will disappear only after the Russian state follows in the footsteps of other imperial dictatorships and disappears.
    What the article says is that people need to oppose and hate Russian imperialism and the cultural traits that allow that imperialism and that Russians themselves need to reform their culture and reject their CURRENT government.

    Do you speak English? Do you ever read the context of the shit that you vomit on these forums? DO YOU?

    @MoDs....Is there a workaround for the problem of not being able to ignore Yuppie without having the whole thread disappear? Because having to read his drivel every time you open this thread is just mind numbing.
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2023-06-19 at 11:12 PM.

  12. #31952
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post

    Do you speak English? Do you ever read the context of the shit that you vomit on these forums? DO YOU?
    numbing.
    His chatbot is incapable of deciphering context in the human language, it's trying desperately but Yuppie is too lazy to proofread.

  13. #31953
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    @MoDs....Is there a workaround for the problem of not being able to ignore Yuppie without having the whole thread disappear? Because having to read his drivel every time you open this thread is just mind numbing.
    If you ever find out a way let me know. I'd love to keep this thread visible because of the actual news that gets posted by other people but that means putting up with it being inundated by that fucking child who the mods just let spread Russian propaganda and fearmongering bullshit nonstop. So that means putting the sealion on ignore and then just refreshing the home page once in a while until the Russian thread pops up as one of the recently replied-to threads.

  14. #31954
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    If you ever find out a way let me know. I'd love to keep this thread visible because of the actual news that gets posted by other people but that means putting up with it being inundated by that fucking child who the mods just let spread Russian propaganda and fearmongering bullshit nonstop. So that means putting the sealion on ignore and then just refreshing the home page once in a while until the Russian thread pops up as one of the recently replied-to threads.
    I know someone came up with a way to block users with under 20 posts or whatever, I wonder if there is a way to change the code on that to apply to a specific user without it removing the thread.

  15. #31955
    "Can one fault the non-Russians for being Russophobes? Can one fault the Balts, Poles, Georgians and Ukrainians, in particular, for hating Russia and damning it to hell? Not at all."

    I can. That's where it is messed up. You can't just be paranoid or distrustful of everyone of an ethnicity like that.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  16. #31956
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    "Can one fault the non-Russians for being Russophobes? Can one fault the Balts, Poles, Georgians and Ukrainians, in particular, for hating Russia and damning it to hell? Not at all."

    I can. That's where it is messed up. You can't just be paranoid or distrustful of everyone of an ethnicity like that.
    Go see a doctor, a therapist, and start attending AA.

  17. #31957
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Go see a doctor, a therapist, and start attending AA.
    was citing the article and replying to it. I'm not the one who wrote that quote.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  18. #31958
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    was citing the article and replying to it. I'm not the one who wrote that quote.
    I didn't say that just because of the quote; I meant that statement in general.

  19. #31959
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    "Can one fault the non-Russians for being Russophobes? Can one fault the Balts, Poles, Georgians and Ukrainians, in particular, for hating Russia and damning it to hell? Not at all."

    I can. That's where it is messed up. You can't just be paranoid or distrustful of everyone of an ethnicity like that.
    I'm one of the last people who'd ever attempt to justify baseless, paranoid '-phobias' of ethnic or religious groups...

    However: If you took a moment to read about how much the USSR Gutted, Buttfucked, and Plundered each and every single one of its Satellite nations for the entirety of its tenure then you'd begin to understand why the Baltic states don't have a favorable opinion of the Russian State.

    Still fucked if they decide to go about persecuting ethnic Russians in their territories, but the distrust and hate towards Russia sn't all that unfounded when a lot of these atrocities are within living memory.

  20. #31960
    Just stop engaging with him for pete's sake. He either seeks validation for his insanity or is a troll. It doesn't matter how many times you tell and show him he's blatantly wrong, he'll keep coming back with one shit take after the other. Stop feeding him, is all you can do.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

    The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •