1. #32221
    Wagner tanks are currently rolling into Rostov, and the Russian Army checkpoints are just letting them roll by.
    https://old.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV..._roadblock_of/
    Also doing something inside the city:
    https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/...Cwyaes0rUuAAAA

  2. #32222
    Moving on Rostov makes a lot of sense. It is very close to Ukraine, on the Sea of Azov, so easy to get to. It is also where the senior brass, including Shoigu, are running the war, and they are the ones the Prig is after.

    It is also a very major logistics and supply hub, which the Prig would need to continue to fight. It also has the added bonus of seriously interrupting the supply to russian troops in Ukraine.

  3. #32223
    Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    Also doing something inside the city:
    https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/...Cwyaes0rUuAAAA
    Tanks in the streets and soldiers with weapons moving about and the chucklefucks are just standing around on the sidewalks on their phones recording and shit.

    These are not bright fellas.

  4. #32224
    Damn, now there are reports that not only are Wagner in Rostov but have surrounded the southern military district HQ. the video of tanks in Rostov show them pointing their guns at the building, which would be a strange way to defend it.

    Wonder if the Prig actually will go through with his threat to hang generals.

  5. #32225
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Tanks in the streets and soldiers with weapons moving about and the chucklefucks are just standing around on the sidewalks on their phones recording and shit.

    These are not bright fellas.
    To be fair--not that they deserve it--you would 100% see that in the US and UK as well. Hell, probably just about any 1st world country that hasn't seen war in their borders in the past couple decades. It's a spectacle to them; like a parade. Until the shooting starts.

  6. #32226
    Wagner now say they have captured SMD HQ.

  7. #32227
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Wagner now say they have captured SMD HQ.
    Would this be it?

    https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/...27667365216260

    edit never mind already posted

  8. #32228
    That's part of it, yeah.

    With how fast this has moved, it was not some spur of the moment thing. This was preplanned.

  9. #32229
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Wagner now say they have captured SMD HQ.
    They claim to have captured the entire city and have surrounded various important buildings including the SMDHQ, FSB Office, Police etc.

    Fights have been reported near Voronezh, the Army has send Jets and Helicopters, Wagner claims to have shot two of the latter.

  10. #32230
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    That's part of it, yeah.

    With how fast this has moved, it was not some spur of the moment thing. This was preplanned.
    This was certainly preplanned. Yesterday (22nd) Wagner people were phoning home telling their loved ones to stay away from important areas.

    I should also point out that 22nd is the anniversary of Operation Barbarossa. Coincidence that everything is happening around that anniversary.

  11. #32231
    Elemental Lord Templar 331's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    8,231
    It's kind of sad that it's easier to invade your home country than the one you've been invading for a year.

  12. #32232
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    It's kind of sad that it's easier to invade your home country than the one you've been invading for a year.
    Certainly helps when you have no troops left to defend your home country.

  13. #32233
    Old God Kathranis's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    10,208
    So, whether the coup fails or succeeds, isn't losing Wagner a crippling blow to Russia's efforts in Ukraine? Well, they were already crippled, but y'know.

    I wonder if Wagner might be cutting deals with another bidder to affect a regime change, or if they're just fed up with being sent into a mismanaged war.

  14. #32234
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Certainly helps when you have no troops left to defend your home country.
    Also doesn't help when your own defenders are also waiving Wagner through.

  15. #32235
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    So, whether the coup fails or succeeds, isn't losing Wagner a crippling blow to Russia's efforts in Ukraine? Well, they were already crippled, but y'know.

    I wonder if Wagner might be cutting deals with another bidder to affect a regime change, or if they're just fed up with being sent into a mismanaged war.
    If random comments are to be believed the rest of the army pretty much just let Wagner through more or less unhindered. I'm thinking his goal is to get Shoigu and his lot ousted and himself installed as head of the army and then just resume the attack on Ukraine. Pure conjecture, of course, but his comments leading up to this make me think it's likely.

    Also read that another column was heading towards Moscow, though not entirely sure how much truth lies in that.

  16. #32236
    Old God Kathranis's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    10,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Also doesn't help when your own defenders are also waiving Wagner through.
    I mean, hell, the rear defenses in Russia have to be spread thin and are probably even less experienced and less armed than the mobiks on the front line. I'd be scared shitless if I were facing down a Wagner tank column.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I'm thinking his goal is to get Shoigu and his lot ousted and himself installed as head of the army and then just resume the attack on Ukraine.
    Maybe, though now that they issued a warrant for Prigozhin's arrest that might be kind of a difficult trick to pull off. I'm also not sure where the money in that would be, given their status as a PMC, but then PMCs are technically illegal in Russia so he might be looking for some sort of legitimization?

  17. #32237
    Pandaren Monk Mhyroth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,774
    Something is about to go down..
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

  18. #32238
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Maybe, though now that they issued a warrant for Prigozhin's arrest that might be kind of a difficult trick to pull off. I'm also not sure where the money in that would be, given their status as a PMC, but then PMCs are technically illegal in Russia so he might be looking for some sort of legitimization?
    Yeah, I read that, but who ordered the warrant? Was it Putin himself? If so then yeah my idle conjecture doesn't hold much water, but otherwise, given the language he used when talking about Putin ("It's not Putin's fault! He was lied to by his generals!") I could see this as him trying to prove himself by ousting the "traitors" as a means of currying favor to replace Shoigu. Also given that it's an army of criminals that have essentially just been thrown into the meat grinder for practically nothing, yeah, legitimization might also be a goal?

    Again, all of this is really just a thought experiment until we see how things pan out (and how much of what we're seeing/reading is accurate), but I don't see this as Prig trying to overthrow the government or attack Putin or anything more than what he said he was going to do--take out the generals who have been screwing him and his men over.

    Either way, bad for them, good for the rest of the world. Even if this is all over tomorrow it's a boon for Ukraine.

  19. #32239
    I am wondering about 3 things, in this order.

    1. Where is Putin? How is it that he hasn't made an appearance to calm this down or to at least create the appearance that things are under control?

    2. What the fuck is Beijing thinking looking at this shitshow? Let's be honest they are the only ones that can reign in the Russians at this point. Russia spiriling into civil war is not in their best interest. It will make the politics of the whole region and the economy of central Asia a hot mess.

    3. What the people at Langley/White House are thinking looking at this? I'm sure there are a whole bunch of analysts losing their shit trying to make sense of this.

    Whatever the outcome of this will be, and personally I do think Prigs will be reigned in....one way or another, the damage is already done. Russia just had military mutiny. Any student of Russian history is going to start counting down the clock until everything falls apart. This is will have consequences. Consequences that will likely escalate.

  20. #32240
    Jesus, I doubt Wagner will actually reach Moscow, but I hope they do. It would be so appropriate.

    “History Doesn’t Repeat Itself, but It Often Rhymes” – Mark Twain

    It just seems right that the third Rome falls in a similar way to the first. To their own mercenaries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •