7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    Russia conquering like this is just the start. China is already invading Taiwan air space, if it even looks like Russia will win this Taiwan is next, and when you have about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the land mass and its governments doing this the question becomes how and what are you going to do to stop them?

That is what will set the course of humanity for the next 100 years.
    Nah, this is more like the "last gasp" of imperialism where Russia/China want to grab the last few things they can before the world becomes more liberalized, civilized, globalized, and less tolerant of initiating warfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    So Italy, Germany and Hungary are against further sanctions. I guess you could say that those countries are thinking on the same....axis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does Russia/Putin hate Ukraine so much he/they are risking ww3 over it?

That will go nowhere, because the reason Russia did this is because it has the EU in a vice grip over energy, just like they planned. Why do you think over the last few months the EU states started approving nuclear power plants and such? The thing is they started way too late for any type of energy independence from Russia.

It is easy to shut down a pipeline like Nord 2 that is up and running, it is much harder to shutdown what powers their nation right now.
    The fuck you on about? Germany as good as buried Nord Stream 2 already today. That's a 11 billion Euros that Russia paid buried in the Baltic Sea. Fuck Russian gas. It'll cost me a few bucks extra, but it'll absolutely ruin the little that's left of the Russian economy.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nah, this is more like the "last gasp" of imperialism where Russia/China want to grab the last few things they can before the world becomes more liberalized, civilized, globalized, and less tolerant of initiating warfare.
    You are proving my point that this will set the agenda for the next century. If it is a "last gasp" is what remains to be seen.

Historians will call it that if China and Russia fail, which you seem to think they will, but if they succeed is what if you failing to account for. I for 1 think the "West" will fail because they started to this move away from our animalistic nature too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Says the guy that refused to consider Russia would invade in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    So Biden not sanctioning Putin directly or blocking SWIFT transactions.
    What kind of sanctions can he make against Putin personally though? Ban him from visiting the United States?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    So Italy, Germany and Hungary are against further sanctions. I guess you could say that those countries are thinking on the same....axis.
    Hahaha, nice.

Seriously though, I'm german and I support hardest sanctions. Out of swift you go!

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The fuck you on about? Germany as good as buried Nord Stream 2 already today. That's a 11 billion Euros that Russia paid buried in the Baltic Sea. Fuck Russian gas. It'll cost me a few bucks extra, but it'll absolutely ruin the little that's left of the Russian economy.
    Yes they buried a pipeline that is not up and running like I said. Read the rest about how they won't give up the shit that is powering their peoples homes.

It is easy to give up on something that is not already up and providing for you, much harder to give up something that is already essential to your state working.

Edit: What happens when China becomes Russia's new trade partner. Is everyone going to sanction China? I mean it has already happened with China buying Russian wheat. Like I said before this is a fight against 1/4 to 1/3 of the world. If Russian even looks like it will win this Taiwan is next. Are you going to give up where all your electronics are made for the several years it takes for other countries to build manufacturing? I would hope Covid would have shown you how that would go, and no one built new manufacturing during that time.

You think it will only be a few $ more for just filling your tank, dream on.
    Last edited by Antipathy1018; 2022-02-24 at 07:31 PM.

As expected, the question about SWIFT leads to Uhh, ehh, we shall see, next round, blah blah.
    I don't know who said it, but that person was right - everything at once, shock dose. The drawn out process just doesn't give the same effect.

But regardless - Russian stock market and rouble is not feeling well. And the longer this goes on and as new sanctions will be announced the effect will be more dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    It was never if. It was always when.
    Thanks, I guess.
    Eastern Europe has lot of not very nice stereotypes about Russia. What happened today did not help with that, but reinforced them. For a good reason, it seems...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Why does Russia/Putin hate Ukraine so much he/they are risking ww3 over it?
    Old soviet method of distracting its citizens from internal problems by giving them external war.

Also Putin got demented and wants to go into history as one to rebuild "great russia" whatever its supposed to be.

Yes they buried a pipeline that is not up and running like I said. Read the rest about how they won't give up the shit that is powering their peoples homes.

It is easy to give up on something that is not already up and providing for you, much harder to give up something that is already essential to your state working.
    We'll see. But as I said elsewhere, the West is going to abandon Ukraine. Nobody should have any doubt about that. Nobody is prepared to do anything more than sanctions over a country that's not in NATO or the EU. Especially not trading blows with another nuclear power.

Sad, but that's the truth of it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    But regardless - Russian stock market and rouble is not feeling well. And the longer this goes on and as new sanctions will be announced the effect will be more dramatic.
    Putin defo took that, and sanctions, into account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Buried? Like, not digging it out later when things calm down?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Anti-War protests already underway in Russia.

Of course the Putin police is arresting as many of the protestors as possible, but I'm hopeful it's the start of bigger anti-Putin movement. With 150K+ troops away, I'm curious to see how what's left would handle mass protest.
    https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/w...0348b45ae.html

Russia has one of the largest armies in the world, obviously.

I *think* their one aircraft carrier is all but inoperable right now lmao. The Chinese bought one off them as a hotel ship or something a while ago and it ironically puts them ahead of Russia in that department with that ship alone because they actually have it in working condition afaik. The one dock that can fix Russia's sister ship they still have famously sank a couple of years ago, not sure how that is going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuznet...rcraft_carrier

Apparently it was actually sold by Ukraine.

Also, apparently Ukraine could also be responsible for the bulk of North Korea's ICBM capability because they were, again, willing to sell the technology.

Probably fair to ay there is an awful lot going on over there between the two countries.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances

The memorandum included security assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan.

-----------

So much for that.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    What kind of sanctions can he make against Putin personally though? Ban him from visiting the United States?
    And there it is like I said, it is much harder to give up what you already depend on then stopping a pipeline not even up and running yet.

Edit: What happens when China becomes Russia's new trade partner. Is everyone going to sanction China? I mean it has already happened with China buying Russian wheat. Like I said before this is a fight against 1/4 to 1/3 of the world. If Russian even looks like it will win this Taiwan is next. Are you going to give up where all your electronics are made for the several years it takes for other countries to build manufacturing? I would hope Covid would have shown you how that would go, and no one built new manufacturing during that time.

You think it will only be a few $ more for just filling your tank, dream on.
    Doesn't US and EU already have sanctions in place for China? Putting more sanctions on China will only bring it closer to Russia.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    Doesn't US and EU already have sanctions in place for China? Putting more sanctions on China will only bring it closer to Russia.
    They are already pretty close, united against west and USA. China kindly asks Putin to wait with aggression till the end of Olympics and he complies. And now they refuse to condemn the attack.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Putin defo took that, and sanctions, into account.
    Sure, question is, how much? What is the long term plan? Russia does not exactly have the best economy to cope with this.
    We, of course, know that he and his cronies won't suffer that much, aside from cash and properties being lost in the West right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.